TravelTalkOnline

Algae Bloom

Posted By: Doc Bill

Algae Bloom - 03/09/2019 02:47 PM

When I was recently in SXM I read about an algae bloom in the Simpson Bay Lagoon. It is attributed to industrial type runoff and human waste. Does a pump out boat exist for the many boats moored and docked in the lagoon? Are boats sanctioned for pumping human waste overboard? If not, there should be strict rules/laws about this. I own a boat and have been to areas in the North East that require disabling the ability to pump overboard while moored or docked in the area. I am aware that this relies on honesty also but if a program does not exist for boaters to have easy access to free pump outs the problem will persist and likely worsen. Many of these services are sponsored by environmental groups. Would appreciate any knowlegeable comments.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Algae Bloom - 03/09/2019 07:35 PM

As far as I know, there are no pump-out facilities for boats in SXM and there are no laws requiring boats to use holding tanks. In addition, most of the waste in the lagoon comes from onshore, as many places onshore just dump directly into the lagoon.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Algae Bloom - 03/09/2019 08:34 PM

Don't remember if it's Nature Foundation or SLAC that has a pump boat called Slurpy I think. Purchased through fundraisers and donations a few years back.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Algae Bloom - 03/09/2019 10:55 PM

OK, thanks. I wasn't aware of that.
Posted By: deputydog1157

Re: Algae Bloom - 03/10/2019 04:54 PM

I guess the next time I go into a 7-11 I'llhave a totally different take on the soft drink!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline