TravelTalkOnline

“Toadies” Last Days

Posted By: SurferMike

“Toadies” Last Days - 03/22/2019 04:51 PM

We really loved the new and improved Horny Toad. It still kept the size and charm of the original. If you’ve ever stayed here or a first timer, give Deb a call and she’ll set up a time to show you around. She and her husband Doug couldn’t be nicer. The restaurants we dined at, Mario’s Bistro, Bavaria, The Palm, Dingy Dock, Moulin Fou, etc,etc were all great. Sale E Pepe was a first for us and was quite good. One little restaurant, almost totally hidden, is Guayabera Beach Club. At the east end of Simpson Bay, take the one way road in back of the Police Station and walk or drive a bit. It’s on the water (barely a beach) with free lounge chairs to use regardless if you eat there. But do try the food, it’s very good. We don’t remember Sublimes when it was in Cupecoy, but a visit the other night was a nice dining experience. You’ll find them along the back road in Simpson Bay, very close to the White Swan. The waitress Jay couldn’t have been nicer. Listening to her Irma survival story, we were spellbound. The cook Das came out of the kitchen and we had a chat with him also. His burger was the best on the island (as well as back home on Long Island). Interesting menu as well. Frenchy Ludos, a “ French Fusion “ restaurant, which used to be Saratoga and then Charter House, was a very pleasant dining evening. Almost big city charm inside, tropical and scenic outside. Good menu with good choices. Our last night was spent at Izi’s. Also our first time there (it only took 16 years). Again, no problems with it. Food was good. We can’t remember having a bad meal this trip. Dany’s chicken at Copecoy had a burnt taste to it. First time we weren’t happy with it. I think be needs to clean the grill more often. In my next rant, I’ll mention the beaches we visited. Some surprises there.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: “Toadies” Last Days - 03/22/2019 05:06 PM

thanks for the report. Never been there myself, but Isn't it GUAVABERRY though? That would make more sense.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: “Toadies” Last Days - 03/22/2019 05:06 PM

Guayabera Beach Club is on our to do list. Glad for the good review of it.

Re: “Toadies” Last Days - 03/22/2019 05:07 PM

OK, that is the correct name, apparently, says Google!!

Re: “Toadies” Last Days - 03/22/2019 05:10 PM

Yes it is. If you're on Facebook here is their page.
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=guayabera%20beach%20club&epa=SEARCH_BOX
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: “Toadies” Last Days - 03/22/2019 05:34 PM

Good to hear about Horny Toad. I will be staying there for a week in July and for three weeks in November/December. Can't wait!

Were you upstairs or downstairs? Did you happen to notice if they had exercise equipment in the Round House as they did pre-Irma?
Posted By: irina

Re: “Toadies” Last Days - 03/22/2019 07:03 PM

Carol,
Guayabera is a shirt worn in tropical countries. Has lot's of pin pleats, long or short sleeve, worn on outside.
I always think of it as Cuban.
Cheers
irina

Re: “Toadies” Last Days - 03/22/2019 07:05 PM

OK, thanks for the info!
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: “Toadies” Last Days - 03/22/2019 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Guayabera Beach Club is on our to do list. Glad for the good review of it.

I'm trolling you dude....lol.....psst...they also liked Sal e Pepe! lol wink

Re: “Toadies” Last Days - 03/22/2019 10:48 PM

One out of two works for me. LOL See you on Pinel this May? We can do a sorry a** hunt. banana

Re: “Toadies” Last Days - 03/22/2019 11:40 PM

To answer your questions Jazzgal, we stayed on the upper floor. It’s got a great view and a deck to sit outside. Tables, chairs and lounge chairs are also on the upper deck. No more exercise equipment under the round house. I forgot to ask if it will ever return. Not sure where it would go anyway. Limited room for it now. Enjoy your stay. I’m sure you’ll love it.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: “Toadies” Last Days - 03/23/2019 12:26 AM

I checked out the new Horny Toad twice last week as we are staying there n Nov. Really nice as you stated.
Posted By: Susieville

Re: “Toadies” Last Days - 03/23/2019 11:52 AM

Sublime was our best meal in the two weeks we were there (rack of lamb), but I do worry they will not last in that location.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: “Toadies” Last Days - 03/23/2019 11:58 AM

From the title, i was thinking they were closing.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: “Toadies” Last Days - 03/23/2019 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by PelicanPirate
From the title, i was thinking they were closing.

Took me a minute too. But I believe as they've acclimated and become home there they are now "Toadies"...
Much as one staying at Mary's Boone is a "Boonie". wink

Re: “Toadies” Last Days - 03/23/2019 05:50 PM

Sorry gang if I confused you. The Horny Toad opened back in December. And yes, we are known as “Toadies “. Especially those who have been around awhile. My last rant meant our last days on the island.

Re: “Toadies” Last Days - 03/23/2019 06:00 PM

Ah. Now that makes sense.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline