TravelTalkOnline

A Really Dumb Question But.....

Posted By: RickandJulie

A Really Dumb Question But..... - 04/02/2019 11:54 AM

I know this is going to sound dumb to a lot of you but I have a question about duty free alcohol. We always do just carry-on when we fly international so in the past we have never purchased alcohol to bring home. We want to bring a gift to someone so I am wondering; if you buy alcohol in the terminal after you go through screening will you be able to carry it through or will it be confiscated because it exceeds the 3 ounce rule. Can it be taken through customs?

Thanks for any help in clarifying the rules.

Just sitting here on our balcony at Esplanade in Grand Case getting ready for another perfect day.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: A Really Dumb Question But..... - 04/02/2019 12:03 PM

TSA ALCOHOL

Above is the short version.
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: A Really Dumb Question But..... - 04/02/2019 12:04 PM

You cannot carry more than 3.4 ounces through security. However, you can buy after you pass through security if available. But if you are on a connecting flight once you re enter the US and have to go through security again, you have the same problem.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: A Really Dumb Question But..... - 04/02/2019 12:37 PM

Works only if you have a direct flight. Otherwise, you need to check the bag.
Posted By: RickandJulie

Re: A Really Dumb Question But..... - 04/02/2019 01:15 PM

Thanks. Thought that might be the case.
Posted By: dtmovius

Re: A Really Dumb Question But..... - 04/06/2019 05:27 PM

Actually, you can carry on if you have a connection and you buy at the duty free store in the gate area after security. The duty free store seal your purchases in a special bag with your receipt . At your connection, security will hand-check your purchase by opening the bag, inspecting the bottles, and then resealing the bag with special TSA-marked tape.

I just went through this process last month on my way back from SXM connecting in Atlanta and last year connecting in Ft. Lauderdale on the way back from Havana. Each time, it added maybe 2 minutes total to the time it took to get back through security for my connecting flight.

The duty-free store in PJIA is small right now, but it had what I was looking for: Havana Club rum and Ma Doudou (banana/vanilla - which reminds me of the island when I'm back home).
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: A Really Dumb Question But..... - 04/06/2019 05:38 PM

That Havana Club rum is pretty good sipping rum. Brought 2 home last trip along with some well aged rums.
Posted By: Susieville

Re: A Really Dumb Question But..... - 04/07/2019 12:16 PM

I used to always buy the allotted amount of liquor at the airport after customs to bring home. As I'm getting older I find lugging the bottles is just too much for me and I no longer buy it. If anything, a small bottle of local rum.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline