TravelTalkOnline

Moving to Sint Maarten - information?

Posted By: eurotocarib

Moving to Sint Maarten - information? - 04/07/2019 01:28 PM

Hello everyone,

We will be moving to Sint Maarten this summer for work and stay for three years.
I have been enjoy reading this forum for the past few weeks, especially news and restaurant reports. Thank you!

But I am struggeling finding information about living there long-term.
Do you know of any expat group or forum where I can ask some questions about which furniture to bring (and not), whether to import our car etc.

TravelTalk doesn't feel like the right place to ask these questions, but I haven't found an expat forum or something.

So hopefully you can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Moving to Sint Maarten - information? - 04/07/2019 01:40 PM

We made the move 11 years ago. You can PM me with specific questions if you like
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Moving to Sint Maarten - information? - 04/07/2019 01:54 PM

Elaine-- I wonder about possibly a forum for AUC students?? Is there one? That might be helpful.

Re: Moving to Sint Maarten - information? - 04/07/2019 01:58 PM

There may well be, I don't know.
Posted By: irina

Re: Moving to Sint Maarten - information? - 04/07/2019 04:32 PM

There is a forum for AUC students and spouses.
Cheers
irina
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Moving to Sint Maarten - information? - 04/07/2019 04:57 PM

Irina--do you know if Is it limited ONLY to them??
Posted By: eurotocarib

Re: Moving to Sint Maarten - information? - 04/08/2019 10:46 AM

Great to read your responses so far!
I checked the AUC site, unfortunately the forum is just for students. Maybe someone else knows another site.

@Elaine: I will collect some questions in the following weeks and PM you, thank you very much!

Cheers, Roger
Posted By: Uksimonusa

Re: Moving to Sint Maarten - information? - 04/08/2019 11:06 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnM...Gwc948gpWTHVTS3oBuQJa812xuScYEj8ESHOAI7o

Re: Moving to Sint Maarten - information? - 04/08/2019 02:01 PM

Hi Carol,
No, it's not only for them. If they look at AUC Spouse forum, they will find info on relocating.
So Rogers, Cheers to you too! Good luck on your move.
Lot's of fun! Tee Hee.
irina
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Moving to Sint Maarten - information? - 04/08/2019 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by eurotocarib
Hello everyone,

We will be moving to Sint Maarten this summer for work and stay for three years.
I have been enjoy reading this forum for the past few weeks, especially news and restaurant reports. Thank you!

But I am struggeling finding information about living there long-term.
Do you know of any expat group or forum where I can ask some questions about which furniture to bring (and not), whether to import our car etc.

TravelTalk doesn't feel like the right place to ask these questions, but I haven't found an expat forum or something.

So hopefully you can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated!

Are you moving to the Dutch or French side? If you post some questions there are many here that live on SXM part time 90 days or less who would have answers to many questions you may have.

If you are relocating to the Dutch side start here..

http://www.sintmaartengov.org/government/JUS/Immigrationdepartment/Admittance/Pages/Model-1.aspx

I have a three year long term rental in Tamarind Hill if you need a long term lease...
Fully Furnished but a car is not included.
Posted By: the captain

Re: Moving to Sint Maarten - information? - 04/09/2019 06:34 PM

This has piqued my interest. Living on Long Island but starting to plan chess moves on there to go 'when I grow up'

For those of you living there, from the US, do you stay year around? How do you find the standard of living compared vs in the US?

Re: Moving to Sint Maarten - information? - 04/09/2019 06:51 PM

This is our only home, so we're here 12 months. We find cost of living cheaper than in the states, there is no winter, I can swim just about any time I like and we have a wonderful circle of friends.

Re: Moving to Sint Maarten - information? - 04/09/2019 08:22 PM

We too found the cost of living cheaper than the states, except for GeBe.
Cheers
irina

Re: Moving to Sint Maarten - information? - 04/09/2019 09:56 PM

We don't use much GEBE so don't have a complaint.. Except when we have no water!

Re: Moving to Sint Maarten - information? - 04/09/2019 10:04 PM

"Living the dream" all depends on your needs and wants. I don't want to live on a cheap holiday 24/7 so I prefer to go to SXM for winter escapes and not live there only. I spread my time between Vermont, Long Island and St. Maarten and will never put all my eggs in one basket.
Posted By: the captain

Re: Moving to Sint Maarten - information? - 04/13/2019 11:10 PM

Good to hear from you guys that are there 24/7. I always joke that most Long Islanders head to the Carolinas or Florida, buy I’d head out of the country to SXM.

Googled GEBE and assume it’s electric.

Looks like we have similar tastes SXMMartini. We love VT for snowboarding but love our LI seasons so tough to pick just one place...

Re: Moving to Sint Maarten - information? - 04/14/2019 01:27 PM

I like the seasons... Vermont is beautiful winter, spring, summer and fall. Long Island is my home but hoping to leave NY in three years. SXM is a winter escape. Two hurricanes Luis and Irma then add to that Super Storm Sandy and even Vermont had a storm that took out bridges. No place is perfect! Just prepare and all is good!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline