TravelTalkOnline

St. Maarten's top export is Gold. What???

Posted By: sxmmartini

St. Maarten's top export is Gold. What??? - 04/28/2019 02:51 PM

22.9M export in GOLD?

Imports 388M in food and cars? What????

https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/maf/
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: St. Maarten's top export is Gold. What??? - 04/28/2019 03:26 PM

Imports makes sence to me. Pretty much everything has to be brought in. Exporting what was listed does too.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: St. Maarten's top export is Gold. What??? - 04/28/2019 06:06 PM

It's all that jewelry you guys buy when you go to SXM and "export" it back to USA. : > )
Posted By: cruzer

Re: St. Maarten's top export is Gold. What??? - 04/28/2019 06:44 PM

I'd be curious to see their definitions of the various categories. Jewelry exports of $554k?? Ok, maybe shipped officially from the country, but we all know there's a lot more that is carried out of the country by people like me (well, my wife). And, only $9.1M for beer imports? Geez, shouldn't booze and wine be up there as well. Still, an interesting read.
Posted By: rastaman

Re: St. Maarten's top export is Gold. What??? - 04/28/2019 08:05 PM

This makes no sense. St. Maarten does not mine gold, it must be imported from somewhere. Therefore, it would have to import an amount that is , in turn, exported.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: St. Maarten's top export is Gold. What??? - 04/28/2019 11:27 PM

I was thinking the same thing... How could you export that much Gold if not importing it first? I am guessing it would have to do with some loophole and duty free? The indians own most of the jewelry stores. I don't know anything about gold but I do know importing all food, beer and clothing is not a good thing. It is sunny and warm all year round... Grow something on SXM and open a micro brewery!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: St. Maarten's top export is Gold. What??? - 04/29/2019 12:26 AM

There is a Micro brewery on island. I took some gold chains we no longer use and got over 1,000 US dollars for it. What would that go under. Import or export if they resold it.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline