TravelTalkOnline

Best route to OB from Simpson Bay

Posted By: vacanakey

Best route to OB from Simpson Bay - 05/04/2019 02:39 AM

Through Pburg or via Marigot/GC?
Posted By: Larry

Re: Best route to OB from Simpson Bay - 05/04/2019 04:55 AM

We more frequently do Pburg but it depends on traffic.
Posted By: Cincinnati_Kid

Re: Best route to OB from Simpson Bay - 05/04/2019 11:06 AM

My preference would be through Marigot, plus you would have the option of stopping at a number of fabulous beaches on the way to Orient.
Maho, mullet, Cupecoy, long, plum, rouge, friars, happy, most of the best !
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Best route to OB from Simpson Bay - 05/04/2019 04:00 PM

Across the causeway, turn left, head straight through Marigot & Grand case.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Best route to OB from Simpson Bay - 05/04/2019 04:37 PM

We always go via Marigot to either Orient or Pinel. Much faster than going through Phillipsburg.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Best route to OB from Simpson Bay - 05/04/2019 07:49 PM

Over the causeway through Marigot. Id say the divider for me would be Divi. I might go the other way if ai were at Divi.

Re: Best route to OB from Simpson Bay - 05/04/2019 11:46 PM

Yep. That's a half way point.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Best route to OB from Simpson Bay - 05/05/2019 03:35 AM

When I am at Divi, I do go the other way. Can't imagine going to the causeway from Divi just to get to Orient.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Best route to OB from Simpson Bay - 05/05/2019 04:40 AM

We stay at LaPlage.
Save a whole lot of time now taking the causeway through marigot and grand case. bout fifteen minutes faster than going through p burg....and ten minutes faster going through cupecoy and sandy ground.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Best route to OB from Simpson Bay - 05/05/2019 10:38 AM

Lots of road construction in Marigot. Stuck once so go through middle road or road at end of Front street and follow signs to Captaincies Olivers thru Oyster Pond. That route is beautiful along the water and into Orient.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Best route to OB from Simpson Bay - 05/05/2019 11:03 AM

From the Simpson Bay Resort? We stay at La Vista, and always go through Philipsburg to get to Orient. Traffic in Marigot is usually heavy.

Re: Best route to OB from Simpson Bay - 05/05/2019 02:56 PM

When we stayed at Flamingo and now Logans Run next to La Vista we used to go through Phillipsburg but found it much faster to OB to go through Marigot. Even with a little slow down going through Marigot it turned out to be faster with the causeway route.
Posted By: DandM29212

Re: Best route to OB from Simpson Bay - 05/05/2019 03:29 PM

Over the past year, the best route is largely dependent on construction. Putting the utilities underground has resulted in long backups around Grand Case and the Dutch Quarter and one never knows how bad the backup will be that day.

I learned from advice from others in November after hour-long delays in Grand Case that the best thing by far is to use an app like Waze or Google Maps and let it advise you of the best route AT THAT TIME! Worked well for us in April as well since the construction work continues - worse in Dutch Quarter lately.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Best route to OB from Simpson Bay - 05/05/2019 04:58 PM

You know you can go through Madame's Estate and Middle Region (behind the Salt Pond) to bypass some of Philipsburg.

Re: Best route to OB from Simpson Bay - 05/05/2019 05:10 PM

Yes. Been that way before but I still prefer going through Marigot.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Best route to OB from Simpson Bay - 05/05/2019 05:26 PM

Everybody has different tolerances for traffic, but feom Mary’s boon the thought of going right down Simpson Bay Road instead of left to the Causeway would have been crazy except maybe at the craxk of dawn.

We saw no Marigot traffic other than stopping for alot of pedestrians which seemed so polite and cosmopolitan. Grand Case had no traffic past the airport.

Now I can think of one reason to go the other way and that wiuld be to pick up Miller Lite in cans at Cost U less. That will revive a 4 month old debate on good beers.

Anyways, the whole island is good no matter which way you go.

I think we all love St martin/Sint Maarten no matter which way we go. itsaulgoodman!!!!!
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Best route to OB from Simpson Bay - 05/05/2019 06:04 PM

When I say Philipsburg, this is the route I mean; I would never go all the way downtown. Take the roundabout at the Grand Marche (I guess it's a Carrefour now), take a left at the gas station, the straight on to Orient.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Best route to OB from Simpson Bay - 05/05/2019 07:41 PM

Correct.
Posted By: Renee

Re: Best route to OB from Simpson Bay - 05/06/2019 01:00 PM

Someone mentioned WAZE. We love that app. Can you use it in SXM w/o incurring charges? (I am so confused about what settings to put your phone on over there.)
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline