TravelTalkOnline

GPS Offline

Posted By: bran

GPS Offline - 05/04/2019 08:59 PM

Tried to find a previous thread on this but not being the best with technical aspects, I seem to recall trying out google maps the last time I visited and it didn't work without wifi which I won't have traveling around in the car.
Any tips appreciated what to do in advance. Is Waze also good for this? Thx so much. Have an apple watch.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: GPS Offline - 05/04/2019 11:38 PM

No cellular data + No wi-fi = No Waze, No Google Maps, etc.

You need both map data and a GPS signal. In order to get the data, you either need to have cellular data both available (not in a dead spot) and enabled for the app, or access to wi-fi - Without either, you're better off with a true GPS unit with onboard maps such as a Garmin.

The maps.me app, which allows you to download map data for offline use, might -might- work.
Posted By: jaxon60

Re: GPS Offline - 05/04/2019 11:41 PM

You can download maps on Google maps for offline use, too. Theoretically, having GPS on and the downloaded google maps, you should be good to go.
Posted By: whiteshell

Re: GPS Offline - 05/05/2019 12:52 AM

You may also want to Google Here WeGo maps, there is an app for your phone that also lets you use the maps for navigation offline.
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: GPS Offline - 05/05/2019 01:01 AM

Last year I used Google Maps with offline maps on iPhone just fine.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: GPS Offline - 05/05/2019 01:55 AM

Thanks J, W, + E. I learned something new. Didn't know that Google had that capability. I've been playing with Maps.me, but haven't been happy with the results.
Posted By: bran

Re: GPS Offline - 05/05/2019 04:08 AM

thx all, exactly what I needed....
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline