TravelTalkOnline

Branson interested in expanded Liat

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Branson interested in expanded Liat - 05/07/2019 01:16 PM

Daily Herald link

Doesn't sound like Liat is real interested, but if it does happen, one wonders whether they would do flights to SXM from FLL.
Posted By: irina

Re: Branson interested in expanded Liat - 05/08/2019 05:46 AM

LIAT has been poorly managed for over 30 years. Maybe longer.
It's so important to the region. It's too bad it's the usual stealing thing.
Government what?
Branson just bought Brightline here in South Florida and he's making it work.
I don't know if he can do that for LIAT but he does own Necker Island by BVI so he knows
the stories.
LIAT left me stranded more than once...so. IDK.
Hope it works out. It would be terrible for the smaller islands if it collapsed.
Like the Grenadines etc.
Posted By: AUCspouse

Re: Branson interested in expanded Liat - 05/08/2019 11:12 AM

Curacao-based Insel Airlines went bankrupt this past winter. It's hard to make a Caribbean airline profitable.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Branson interested in expanded Liat - 05/08/2019 01:14 PM

I think that is Branson's point, a TOTALLY Caribbean airline is very difficult to make profitable. If they can expand and get some jets and do trips from FLL or Miami to the Caribbean, maybe those routes can help carry the rest of the airline, to get to those smaller islands.

Regarding Insel, man those old planes they had were NOISY!! Staying at Beachside, we could always tell when an Insel plane landed or took off because of how noisy they were. Talk about an unreliable airline, Insel was it!!
Posted By: bran

Re: Branson interested in expanded Liat - 05/08/2019 03:24 PM

LIAT...stands for "Leave Islands Always Tomorrow"...and yet with the amount of traveling we did in the early days be it in the Grenadines or all over the Caribbean, can honestly say never found Liat to be a problem, 15-20 mins late at most, if actually not on time, just lucky I guess from the stories I hear.
Posted By: panman

Re: Branson interested in expanded Liat - 05/08/2019 08:26 PM

Did a twenty-five day island hopping trip on Liat several years ago, when they offered the cool pass.I thought LIAT stood for Leave Island Any Time....Haha. Always found them reliable and fun.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Branson interested in expanded Liat - 05/08/2019 08:27 PM

Luggage in any terminal? LIAT?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline