TravelTalkOnline

Clothing Stores

Posted By: caribbeing66

Clothing Stores - 05/10/2019 11:22 PM

We all know the tourists flock to the outdoor markets or designer boutiques for their souvenir purchases but does anyone know where the residents purchase their clothing?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Clothing Stores - 05/10/2019 11:41 PM

I buy mine in the states.
Posted By: SXMWendell

Re: Clothing Stores - 05/10/2019 11:42 PM

Penny's, Super Plaza
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Clothing Stores - 05/11/2019 09:22 AM

Lots of stores on Back St. but we have brought a lot of clothes (at their request) to locals and they also love to shop if in the US or off the island.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Clothing Stores - 05/11/2019 11:32 AM

For the most part I find the quality of clothes in many shops are inferior. Material is coarse or poly and fall apart fairly quickly. I'm one of those folks who walk through the shop running my hand over the material on the racks before I even look at the garment. Yep, I've shopped at Rima's and Penny's and they have their uses, but as soon as you wash a few times they start to fade or unravel (except Rima's poly stuff which will clog the dump for eons). Quality clothes are very expensive here, although I have found a few shops in Marigot that can be sort of reasonable.

I expect a lot of choices depend on your budget. You won't find me paying $100 for a dress that will get bleached in the sun, can't be washed, may spend a day at the bottom of a beach bag.
Posted By: bran

Re: Clothing Stores - 05/11/2019 02:13 PM

Actually there are some good stores in Marigot albeit on the young side. Next to Tropicana, French lady with cute dog has some good items and she has extended into where the cigar store used to be. Like better quality and dont mind paying for it but in general its the Caribbean so you are going to pay slightly more but in comparison to St. Barts, Anguilla, Antigua St. John and even St. Thomas, actually think St. Martin prices are reasonable as are the SXM Restaurants and that includes the top joints in GC. Apart from some beach bars just been looking at Anguilla prices for the supposed higher end restaurants and they are really off the charts. Always felt that SXM actually offers absolutely everything from the food stores, snack joints, clothes, bars, cheap, higher end, beaches, you name it, we have it all. 10 days and counting......
Posted By: pat

Re: Clothing Stores - 05/11/2019 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by bran
.........Always felt that SXM actually offers absolutely everything from the food stores, snack joints, clothes, bars, cheap, higher end, beaches, you name it, we have it all. 10 days and counting......

Couldn't agree more and depending on where you live, it's probably logistically one of the easiest islands to travel to. We've stayed over on most of the major Caribbean islands over the years and for us it's SXM all the way for all the reasons you cited. Sadly, we have months to go before it's our turn again...... handshake handshake
Posted By: phillygirl7

Re: Clothing Stores - 05/11/2019 06:11 PM

There is a leather shop almost at the end of Front Street which has some nice jackets for women. Not too tropical, mind you, but I like them a lot.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Clothing Stores - 05/12/2019 08:02 PM

Penny's is a great store for clothing. Located on Back Street. Marigot has a mall with upscale clothing.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline