TravelTalkOnline

Bank of America Customers

Posted By: BillandElaine

Bank of America Customers - 06/04/2019 01:47 PM

Scotiabank is now charging $5 for ATM withdrawals for BOA customers, it has been free in the past.
Posted By: bigbobthib

Re: Bank of America Customers - 06/04/2019 02:00 PM

TY for the heads up.
Posted By: IAmCdn54

Re: Bank of America Customers - 06/04/2019 02:22 PM

Their webpage says the opposite...at least for customers using their Scotiabank card. It may just be lagging in reflecting what happens in real time life.

http://sx.scotiabank.com/about-scot...r-machines-atms/global-atm-alliance.html

There are of course the usual legal weasel words in mice type at the bottom:

By free access, we mean Scotiabank will waive the International ATM Access Fee and Global ATM Alliance members will waive any terminal convenience or usage fees for any withdrawal transactions performed at Global ATM Alliance machines with your ScotiaCard. Free access does not apply to Scotiabank ATMs in Puerto Rico, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Panama, or Belize. All regular account fees continue to apply.

Re: Bank of America Customers - 06/04/2019 02:26 PM

That may be what the web site says. However the reality is we live here and have been using Scotiobank for about 15 years with no charges. Yesterday we were charged $5 for our transaction. Probably in anticipation of their pending sell out to some other financial institution. The ATM's have all been changed out too.
Posted By: cruzer

Re: Bank of America Customers - 06/04/2019 03:34 PM

BofA doesn't sock you with the foreign based transacation fee of 3%? They do for me, or at least say they will, so I got a different ATM card.

Re: Bank of America Customers - 06/04/2019 03:36 PM

Never have in all these years, at the ATM. We don't use it as a debit card. Our CC's (not BOA) have no fees for transactions here.

Re: Bank of America Customers - 06/04/2019 03:40 PM

Now you have me intrigued (or, I'm just easliy confused). You can withdraw cash at an ATM using a credit card, paying no % of withdrawal fees, or not incurring interest charges?

Re: Bank of America Customers - 06/04/2019 03:45 PM

No, I'm talking about using BOA ATM cards at Scotiabank ATM to withdraw $ from a BOA account in the US. Up until now, Scotiabank had some kind of arrangement with BOA for this service.

Re: Bank of America Customers - 06/04/2019 03:51 PM

Ok, in the US. Thanks.

Re: Bank of America Customers - 06/04/2019 04:02 PM

The ScotiaBank here on SXM.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Bank of America Customers - 06/04/2019 05:18 PM

I would say go cashless except there are still many businesses in SXM that are cash only. In New York almost everyone pays with debit or apple pay. It is funny to see customers at 7/11 with a coffee in one hand and their cell phone to pay for the coffee in the other.
Posted By: jenniboston

Re: Bank of America Customers - 06/05/2019 11:21 AM

ScotiaBank is probably passing along a fee that BOA is charging. Unless you're also paying a fee to BOA.
Posted By: wendyk

Re: Bank of America Customers - 06/05/2019 11:53 AM

Next time you're back in the States, look into opening an account with TD Bank. They re-emburse ATM fees world-wide. That's what I use in SXM.

Re: Bank of America Customers - 06/05/2019 01:06 PM

The fee is from BOA, not ScotiaBank.

Re: Bank of America Customers - 06/05/2019 01:07 PM

Just going to bring back cash and stash it
Posted By: Tom

Re: Bank of America Customers - 06/05/2019 07:08 PM

I appreciate the "head's up" on this. Used BOA Travel Awards card in December /January with no problems. Checked in advance for standard terms (collision coverage/no up charge for foreign purchases etc.) . Will know to use another card for ATM next vacation.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Bank of America Customers - 06/05/2019 07:28 PM

BOA Travel Awards card is a CC.....I hope you don't use a CC to get cash out of an ATM. It's still appropriate to use that BOA card for the purchases you mentioned
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Bank of America Customers - 06/05/2019 09:06 PM

Scotia Bank SXM's ATM operator is Global ATM Alliance which may have changed from another ATM operator?

Check with other banks on the island or another ATM to see if there is a different ATM operator with lower fees...

I have used the ATM in the gas station at the border roundabout but there was a fee as well.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Bank of America Customers - 06/05/2019 09:26 PM

...or use a card that refunds all atm fees
Posted By: wendyk

Re: Bank of America Customers - 06/05/2019 09:45 PM

That works too!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline