TravelTalkOnline

Two MORE scooter riders killed

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Two MORE scooter riders killed - 07/02/2019 11:51 AM

Daily Herald story
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Two MORE scooter riders killed - 07/02/2019 01:08 PM

Sad but not surprising. While this happened on the French side, because Monday was a holiday on the Dutch side, the roads on Sunday night were full of both locals and tourists--including lots of motorcycles. It was almost impossible to get through Simpson Bay and the motorcycles were once again weaving in and out of traffic at dangerous speeds. The wife and I went home immediately after dinner because it was like the wild west. I'm actually surprised there weren't more incidents.
Posted By: deputydog1157

Re: Two MORE scooter riders killed - 07/02/2019 04:30 PM

This article make it sounds as though the truck was passing a car when the collision occurred. Question is whether or not that area is a passing zone or not? If it was a no passing zone then, IMO, the fault lies mainly with the truck passing the car. If this was a passing zone then the driver of the truck would have a legitimate excuse of not being able to see the bikes because they were reportedly operating without headlights. Either way, based on my experience of driving on SXM, traffic laws are simply a suggestion.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Two MORE scooter riders killed - 07/02/2019 04:47 PM

Not to ask a stupid question, but does SXM even HAVE no passing zones? Based on the description, I think it sounds like this was on that huge hill coming down into Grand Case, which I don't think should be a no passing zone, as people could see each other (unless one of them happened to not have lights on).
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Two MORE scooter riders killed - 07/02/2019 05:00 PM

I really don't think there are any driving rules of the roads in SXM. Seems like it is a free for all! The motorcycles pass on both sides of the road and even ride beside other cars in the same lane. Cars pass anywhere they choose with no care for road conditions. I think it is time for things to change as there are far too many accidents and lives lost.
Posted By: KGB

Re: Two MORE scooter riders killed - 07/02/2019 05:36 PM

Darwin’s natural selection at work. Play stupid games- win stupid prizes!
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: Two MORE scooter riders killed - 07/02/2019 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by KGB
Darwin’s natural selection at work. Play stupid games- win stupid prizes!

Bingo!!!!!!
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Two MORE scooter riders killed - 07/03/2019 11:33 AM

I know i’ve see passing and no passing center lineage Between Hope Estate and Club Orient turnoff.

I still wouldnt pass anybody but I remember the opportunity which seemed scary up/down the hills.

Silly, careless folks everywhere it is just worse to think of it in tropical paradise.
Posted By: robertl4

Re: Two MORE scooter riders killed - 07/03/2019 05:11 PM

I stayed in Grand Case last month and was blown away by the utter disregard for pedestrians by vehicle drivers. I've been coming to the island and staying in Grand Case for almost twenty years and I cannot recall feeling so concerned for my safety due to this type of driving in such close quarters. In addition, a biker came down Grand Case Boulevard one night doing at least 50 MPH! There seemed to be more heavy trucks passing through which is probably due to the construction and many showed very little regard for people walking. I caution anyone walking through Grand Case, particularly if you have children, to be very careful because it is quite dangerous.
Posted By: RobT

Re: Two MORE scooter riders killed - 07/05/2019 09:10 PM

The bikers in St Martin drive the same as the bikers in France. They just have more lanes in France.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Two MORE scooter riders killed - 07/07/2019 07:54 AM

The guys and I've seen a few girls on the bikes, they remind me of the bikers from the Mad Max movies! Crazy outlaws with no regard for anyone!! I have learned over the years, if you have a biker behind you, don't move right or left to let them by. You just don't know which side they will pass you, not like the states where they are to pass you on the left side of your car. I love riding, but I would never ride on the island.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline