TravelTalkOnline

First visit since Irma

Posted By: bethy2120

First visit since Irma - 07/06/2019 02:17 PM

Arrived yesterday (JFK - SXM), on time, not too awful of a line at immigration.
It's our first time back since Irma (with the exception of a cruise stop in October). Staying on the french side in Orient Village, which is where we have always stayed. The village is back and IMO, better than ever. A new restaurant just opened in the village called Telegraphe. Really nicely done. One side opens into the village and the other faces the beach. The space used to be a duplex/residence, and has been beautifully transformed. We had a couple of cocktails and tapas, and will definitely go back. They are open for lunch as well.

I'm fairly certain we won't stray far from the area. We've always loved the convenience of walking to the beach, the grocery and the various restaurants within steps. I forsee lots of sand gravity in our future. Planning to pack our cooler and head to Club O beach shortly!

Any questions, let me know!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: First visit since Irma - 07/06/2019 02:22 PM

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a good beginning. We were really impressed with the Village in June, especially versus Grand Case. Enjoy your trip!
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: First visit since Irma - 07/06/2019 03:17 PM

Yes, Orient Village has rebounded nicely. I read a review on Telegraphe, with photos on FB, and it was well liked. We look forward to eating there in December on our next visit.
Posted By: indi

Re: First visit since Irma - 07/06/2019 03:22 PM

Such an amazing comeback for the island! Glad you have returned to experience and support the wonderful people of SXM.
Posted By: biglar

Re: First visit since Irma - 07/06/2019 07:16 PM

We stayed in the village for 3 weeks in April. Didn't see the restaurant that you talk about. Probably opened after we departed. Going to be a good reason to head back soon.

Re: First visit since Irma - 07/06/2019 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by biglar
We stayed in the village for 3 weeks in April. Didn't see the restaurant that you talk about. Probably opened after we departed. Going to be a good reason to head back soon.

Yep, the waiter said they just opened last week!

Returning to the apartment after a lovely beach day. Amazing weather. Sargassum rolled in big time (even on the club o end of the beach) around 2pm. Washed on shore pretty quickly, once you got past the first bit, the water was pretty clear. Currently enjoying a cocktail and watching the activity in the village smile
Posted By: sepacpl

Re: First visit since Irma - 07/07/2019 02:31 AM

Thanks for post we are arriving tues and staying in orient village ...Telegraphe sounds great .....was club o beach crowded?

Re: First visit since Irma - 07/07/2019 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by sepacpl
Thanks for post we are arriving tues and staying in orient village ...Telegraphe sounds great .....was club o beach crowded?

Yes, quite crowded today. We arrived around 11 and I think we snagged the last two chairs on the front row.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline