TravelTalkOnline

Skipjacks

Posted By: bran

Skipjacks - 07/06/2019 09:58 PM

Try the Shrimp and corn soup there at Lunchtime, excellent. Also friendly service and fast.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Skipjacks - 07/06/2019 10:10 PM

Skipjacks is great. Jim does a great job running it. Food is always good there. Especially the Ahi.
Posted By: Allison731

Re: Skipjacks - 07/07/2019 04:23 AM

Which side is it on?
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Skipjacks - 07/07/2019 07:29 AM

On the Dutch side, Airport road. Not far from SMYC.
Posted By: bizzottom

Re: Skipjacks - 07/07/2019 08:26 AM

great seared ahi
Posted By: Tom

Re: Skipjacks - 07/07/2019 11:08 AM

There was a time when we felt Chesterfield's had the best lobster. Then we updated our choice to Pineapple Pete's. Now, without question our choice is Skipjack's.
Posted By: bran

Re: Skipjacks - 07/07/2019 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tom
There was a time when we felt Chesterfield's had the best lobster. Then we updated our choice to Pineapple Pete's. Now, without question our choice is Skipjack's.

And now I hear it’s moved on to Nowhere Special on Wednesday only. We were there last Wednesday at around 6 for happy hour and didn’t know it was lobster night and they only had 3-4lbs and up left at $24.00 a pound. Now I know nothing about the size of lobsters but sounded too large for me. Apparently they each day put a sign on the board outside of their specials and it was lobster tails, lobster this, lobster that and starting at around 11.30 am they were packed and by around 4 had sold out of tails, etc. So, this Wednesday I am ordering to be put aside for me a 2lber(surely that’s more than enough..?)
and will have it done Thermidor. Will let you know in my report when back. But it’s the one item of food that I am not knowledgeable on, so any suggestions from you lobster experts(not the best with making a mess, like it all done and being able to just shove in mouth) I’m all ears for suggestions🦞
Posted By: George1234

Re: Skipjacks - 07/07/2019 02:47 PM

One of their best dishes is Lobster Champagne I believe it is available any night. It is a "fork to mouth " dish, there is no extra work required, or hard shell left over. I know it from when the owners ran Turtle Pier on Airport road years ago, and it was one of my favorite dishes then.
George
Posted By: Tom

Re: Skipjacks - 07/07/2019 02:50 PM

Just a couple lobster tales (not tails)
1. Some restaurants will advertise "$20,1 lb. lobsters for $19.95". Only problem is that when you show up (even if you are early) they only have 2lb. and larger.
2. Most lobster lovers, especially those from New England, will give a thumbs down on Caribbean lobster since they feel that their lobster is far superior. I don't agree and since my sister in law lived in Maine for 15 years and we ate lots of fresh Maine lobster, I do know the difference.
3. Been going to SXM for 30+ years and have had lobster at many restaurants there.
4. Some restaurants only have lobster sometimes. Other will have lobster every day.
Hope you are able to enjoy a 2 lber which I feel is enough for most people. Look forward to your opinion.
Posted By: pat

Re: Skipjacks - 07/08/2019 12:23 AM

Bran,

The lobster size thing is often an issue but we’ve shared lobsters on many occasions when that happened. Some places, and the old Lee’s immediately comes to mind, will charge a little less per pound for the larger lobsters and let you share them. Can’t say for certain but I don’t remember being charged extra plating fees either. Contrary to popular opinion, the larger lobsters are just as tasty IMO as the smaller ones and no tougher, as I was often told in the past, although any lobster can be tough if not grilled properly, just as is the case with steak.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Skipjacks - 07/08/2019 02:07 AM

Correct.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline