TravelTalkOnline

Trip Report - July 11-16

Posted By: Bip

Trip Report - July 11-16 - 07/18/2019 06:12 PM

First, I would like to thank everyone here who provided insight on our first trip to St. Martin. We had an unforgettable experience and looks as though we'll become regular visitors to the island. We didn't extend ourselves on this trip, as we focused our time on the French side, mainly in Grand Case. We spent five nights at Le Petit and the hotel/location could not have been better. We decided not to rent a car; however, it was not an issue for us during this trip as we walked to nearby beaches or took advantage of the complimentary shuttle provided by Le Petit. In future trips, we'll rent a car to explore. Below are the highlights of our trip:

Le Petit and Grand Case Beach

We made this home for five nights/six days. The hotel was quiet and the hosts (Remy and Yamina) provided wonderful suggestions on activities and food. Breakfast was included with our stay and the views from our balcony were beautiful. Most of our time here was lounging on the beach with Rose, walking to the Lolos for lunch, and dinner out in Grand Case. We ate at L'Auberge Gourmande, La Villa, Bistrot Caraibes, Piazza Pascal, and Spiga. We didn't have a bad meal; however, L'Auberge Gourmande (stayed away from filet based on other review), La Villa, and Spiga were our favorites. The people in and around Grand Case were wonderful and were even invited to a local barbecue, which was fun with great food. People were really friendly.

Happy Bay

When not on the beach in Grand Case, we spent two quiet days at Happy Bay. Happy Bay was an easy 15 minute walk for us and both days, we were the only ones on the beach, which allowed us extreme privacy smile. The first day at Happy Bay, we took the trail to Friar's Bay and had lunch, but were not too impressed with the beach so the second day we brought our own refreshments and just relaxed. The walk to Friar's Bay was beautiful and not difficult and definitely worth the views. There is also a gentlemen at Happy Bay providing beach chairs and beers. We did purchase a few beers from him and they were reasonably priced.

Anse Marcel

We did splurge on a cab to Anse Marcel based on reviews from this forum. The afternoon did not disappoint. We had a wonderful meal and beach service with a few cocktails. The drive was not as bad as imagined after reading the reviews here and the views from top of the hill were wonderful. Anse Marcel beach is beautiful and was not crowded. However, not sure we would repeat the visit here during our next trip and really do not have a reason other than we would rather spend the day on Grand Case or Happy Bay.

Next Trip

We have already made a reservation to go back to Le Petit next summer. We will rent a car and explore more of the island, including Orient and other hiking spots. This was the first vacation that we felt that time moved slow. Again, thank you all for helping out and answering my questions.

Attached picture lepetit_front.jpg
Attached picture lepetit_breakfast.jpg
Attached picture lepetit_balcony.jpg
Attached picture lepetit_sunset.jpg
Attached picture grandcase.jpg
Attached picture happy_bay1.jpg
Attached picture happy_bay2.jpg
Attached picture anse.jpg
Attached picture anse2.jpg
Attached picture anse3.jpg
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Trip Report - July 11-16 - 07/18/2019 06:39 PM

Thanks for the report and the pics! You can't go wrong with Le Petit! Lovely place. Glad you enjoyed your trip and have another trip planned!! SXM has another fan for life! smile
Posted By: RICKnGRACE_LI_NY

Re: Trip Report - July 11-16 - 07/18/2019 08:05 PM

Thanks for a great report
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Trip Report - July 11-16 - 07/18/2019 09:54 PM

I agree, very nice report. I especially enjoy 1st-timers reports and impressions.
Posted By: bran

Re: Trip Report - July 11-16 - 07/18/2019 11:12 PM

Good report...must have stayed at Le Petit about 30 years ago!!! It was like a foodies paradise, damn the hurricanes. Was very nice then as well. Now, I have to get round to do my own trip report once I get around to downloading some pics that I have taken, that I seem to have lost!!! argghhh.
Posted By: Shelby2

Re: Trip Report - July 11-16 - 07/19/2019 12:16 AM

Sounds like a lovely first visit! ...my first trip stayed at Grand Case Beach Club and never did any other beaches we were just so happy and content there. Not to mention the fab food in Grand Case! Haven't even visited the French side in so many years, but thinking may have to give it another go! Thx for sharing your trip and photos!
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Trip Report - July 11-16 - 07/19/2019 04:37 AM

Lovely report and pictures. Thanks for sharing your time with us. Le Petit is a little paradise

Re: Trip Report - July 11-16 - 07/19/2019 11:38 AM

Definitely not the lens we envisioned to see St. Martin through. I would have loved to see the island pre-Irma as there is a ways to go in recovery on the French side. We had planned to go twice in the past five years, but life intervened. However, the natural beauty and the friendliness of the people were a welcome sight this trip. That is what has us hooked to go back. Instead of having the view of "what was," we now get to see "what it will become" in future trips.
Posted By: 319expat

Re: Trip Report - July 11-16 - 07/19/2019 01:49 PM

Thanks for the lovely report! Although there is indeed a ways to go in recovery on the French side, the places you went to were among the most devastated. Grand Case was still pretty rough when I went in September 2018, and I couldn't bring myself to see Anse Marcel on that trip. But the signs of life I saw in both places that had sprung up since when I returned in February was impressive. I can't wait to go back to see how much more has improved!
Posted By: SXMNorm

Re: Trip Report - July 11-16 - 07/20/2019 01:16 PM

Thanks for returning the favor and posting your own report. Glad you had a great time.
Posted By: pat

Re: Trip Report - July 11-16 - 07/20/2019 02:06 PM

Very, very nice report and so beautifully done. Thank you.......
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Trip Report - July 11-16 - 07/20/2019 07:27 PM

Loved the picture of the martini glass at Anse Marcel! Thanks for the nice report and pictures.

Re: Trip Report - July 11-16 - 07/21/2019 05:12 PM

That picture happened organically. We looked down and the glass was smiling back at us so we had to capture it. The smile consisted of three coffee beans (eyes and nose) and the vanilla stick as the mouth.
Posted By: StMartinFan

Re: Trip Report - July 11-16 - 07/21/2019 06:37 PM

Great description of your trip to the island! Despite the destruction in Grand Case, you reminded us of the many wonderful gems and beautiful locations still there to enjoy.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline