TravelTalkOnline

Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate

Posted By: wilsonck

Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/20/2019 02:57 AM

Carrefour market posted on their facebook page that they are offering 1 ‎€ = 1.25 US$. This is a great exchange, so anyone on island might want to go to an ATM and withdraw Euros as the bank rate is 1 ‎€ = 1.12 US$ and then use those Euros to shop at Carrefour. They did not say how long they are offering this exchange.
Posted By: cruzer

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/20/2019 03:42 AM

Sarcasm?
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/20/2019 06:36 AM

Great idea if you are into losing around 10% every time you shop there....

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/20/2019 12:05 PM

You would be saving approx $13. ‎€100 = US$112 approximately. Take that ‎€100 and they'll credit you US$125.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/20/2019 12:11 PM

Wow and I thought I was math deficient!

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/20/2019 12:31 PM

I get where you are coming from but one euro equals one euro......USD rate has nothing to do with that unless you pay in USD...so the $1.25 /Euro is a crap rate yes....I agree ...but you make it sound like a deal....

..or you could just use a CC and tell them to charge in Euro....or just go to the Cole Bay store and pay in dollars

Now that I think about it aren't the Carrefour stores all on the Dutch side. Why in the world would you get euro to shop there....if you do then getting Euro loses you a tad over 10% on every purchase...

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/20/2019 12:37 PM

I'm no mathematician, but I think your reasoning is backwards. And regardless, yes they are on the Dutch side.

Super U WAS giving 1 to 1. Not sure if they are still doing that or not, but now THAT is a good deal..
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/20/2019 12:57 PM

Super U yes , still the same.

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/20/2019 01:09 PM

If Super U is still doing 1 for 1, I guess Carrefour is trying to attract French customers? That is what makes sense to me. The official currency on the Dutch side is Guilders, which is specifically pegged to the Dollar. So I think they are trying to attract French customers, as if you are paying with Dollars, then you don't care what the Euro exchange is.

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/20/2019 02:39 PM

Carrefour is actually partly French owned.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/20/2019 02:57 PM

Not for me. I'll stick with US dollars or credit card for an even exchange on the Dutch side. Math is a pretty simple think.

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/20/2019 03:42 PM

Facebook Video inside
https://www.facebook.com/JadiraVeen...DAxMDM0NzQ2NzkwNjoyMzcyNTA4NDE5NjYwNjc4/

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/20/2019 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kennys
Carrefour is actually partly French owned.

Yup...just got back from the Carrefour on Rue Buci in Paris with my significant quantity of wine and 1664 beer.....
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/20/2019 06:06 PM

Went today to the recently reopened Carrefour in Cole Bay. Very nice store with reasonable prices. Will likely be our go to store when staying in the Simpson Bay/Maho area. Will still go to Super U in Marigot for great selection and prices on French wines.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/20/2019 07:59 PM

Super U fills our needs at less money.

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/20/2019 09:31 PM

Yes Super U does have some very good prices.

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/21/2019 02:03 AM

My math isn't backwards. You are going to pay $112 for Euros that Carrefour is going to credit you for $125. So you buy $125 worth of groceries are Carrefour. You could either give them $125 USD or ‎€100 (that cost $112 USD). You would save $13

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/21/2019 06:29 AM

Ok...usually the rate posted at most places is for the cost of the euro products (10 euro product COSTS $11.30- $12 or so)

This is a promo where one euro is WORTH $1.25 so the OP is correct.....$113 (100 euro) gets you $125 worth of goods (priced in dollars)

Good job sticking to your guns.....

From the Carrefour ad:

Carrefour Market, Sint Maarten
July 19 at 6:40 PM ·
Got Euros? Take advantage of our special exchange rate for Euros!

1 ‎€ = 1.25 US$

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/21/2019 12:57 PM

Still only makes sense if you already have Euros? Don't most ATMs charge like $5 per transaction? And then is there also a foreign exchange fee, if you get money in Euros?

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/21/2019 01:23 PM

Depends on your card I guess. My Schwab ATM card reimburses all ATM fees everywhere and has no foreign exchange fees.....

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/21/2019 01:27 PM

I'm sure ours charges. Regardless, I think it's too much trouble, unless you already have Euros.

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/21/2019 02:41 PM

Today's rate.

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/21/2019 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Still only makes sense if you already have Euros? Don't most ATMs charge like $5 per transaction? And then is there also a foreign exchange fee, if you get money in Euros?

Not necessarily. Crédit Mutuel has ATMs in Marigot and Hope Estate and they do not charge a fee to use them. They will let you withdraw USD or Euros. Only charge would come from your financial institution if they charge you to use another ATM. When you withdraw Euros the exchange they give you is pretty close to the current bank rate.

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/21/2019 07:21 PM

OK I will agree to disagree with you on this whole thing.
Posted By: irina

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/22/2019 04:29 PM

I want to disagree also! LOL
Posted By: sailbynight

Re: Carrefour Market offering great Euro to USD exchange rate - 07/23/2019 01:30 PM

I get that Getting a Deal is important to some, but It seems a lot of work for someone on the island only a week or two? How much are you spending on grocery and beverage?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline