TravelTalkOnline

Another heavy rainfall warning for today

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Another heavy rainfall warning for today - 07/31/2019 01:18 PM

Daily Herald story

Be careful out there, folks!
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Another heavy rainfall warning for today - 07/31/2019 07:59 PM

Parts of Union Road have collapsed and lots of rocks etc... on the roads in quite a few places.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Another heavy rainfall warning for today - 07/31/2019 09:40 PM

Too much or too little rain....ugh!
Posted By: sasasal

Re: Another heavy rainfall warning for today - 07/31/2019 09:42 PM

this Island has had no rain for monthes. being there this winter we saw rain a few times before march. but that was it.. the island needs raiin. and for those that are vacationing. so sorry but the Island has been depleted people that reside there are hungry for rain for cisterns for green instead of brown dead. the island comes alive with water. yey for rain . for locals and those that have to live there year round
Posted By: pat

Re: Another heavy rainfall warning for today - 07/31/2019 09:51 PM

Back in November we were meeting friends at Marks for dinner and had a huge debate as to whether or not we should cancel. The rain slowed and ultimately stopped so we headed out. By the time we reached Marks it started in again and the intensity of the rain increased significantly through dinner. Our drive back home ‘over the hill’ was the scariest experience I’ve ever had in a car. Debris was sliding down the hillside in the form of rocks, gravel and mud and water was sluicing down the paved road in rivers. For the first time in my life I could clearly see how cars could get washed away in the rain and it wouldn’t have to be deep water for it to happen.

So after all that verbiage I’d just like to remind everyone there to be extremely careful and cautious if you happen to get trapped out in a deluge. Better part of valor is walk to dinner or pass on it completely but please don’t go randomly driving around. The ‘what ifs’ Could easily happen and ruin a wonderful vacation.
Posted By: kim

Re: Another heavy rainfall warning for today - 08/01/2019 04:07 AM

Just back from Maho. Still “puddling” and I use that term loosely on the road through Mullet, but more upset that all the lights are out. They were working in June. Rain seemed heavy last night but after about 1pm today subsided with just a brief shower around 4:00pm(on this side is the island). Hopefully tomorrow will be a decent beach day!!!

Re: Another heavy rainfall warning for today - 08/01/2019 01:10 PM

Picture of Lake Mullet in the paper today
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Another heavy rainfall warning for today - 08/01/2019 01:17 PM

There were three lakes oh Rhine Rd, this was not the worst.

Re: Another heavy rainfall warning for today - 08/01/2019 01:22 PM

Not to ask a stupid question, but has government ever tried to do anything about the flooding there?
Posted By: kim

Re: Another heavy rainfall warning for today - 08/01/2019 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Not to ask a stupid question, but has government ever tried to do anything about the flooding there?

My guess is “not my road not my problem”. Have always been told the road is privately owned by Mullet Bay. Just makes me
Very angry that they don’t do something. Yesterday when the sun came out there were cars parked on either side to go to the beach and one lane of “river”.

Re: Another heavy rainfall warning for today - 08/01/2019 01:35 PM

OK, I didn't know that it was supposedly private. Of course, no one does anything about the flooding by Atrium or by Caravanseri (OK, I know that's not the name now..... What's the NEWEST name?? Don't remember...)
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: Another heavy rainfall warning for today - 08/01/2019 02:07 PM

We dealt with both of those lakes in April and there really wasn't that much rain.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Another heavy rainfall warning for today - 08/01/2019 03:32 PM

The road through Mullet is private and was never intended as a way from Maho to Cupecoy, or a cut through.

When Mullet resort was fully functional there were bungalow's on both sides of the road, little bus stops for the resort shuttle, pedestrians, shops, lots of golf carts. It was not for through traffic. Unless the government assumes responsibility for it and claims eminent domain or something, the Mullet owner has no responsibility to fix something that is being used for the purpose not intended. It is benefiting others who are not paying nor have they paid. If government took it over and used tax funds to correct the issues, that would be a different story.

Re: Another heavy rainfall warning for today - 08/01/2019 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten
…. If government took it over and used tax funds to correct the issues, that would be a different story.

Sounds like to me that is what should happen.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Another heavy rainfall warning for today - 08/02/2019 04:34 PM

Heavy rain advisory till 8 PM today

https://icons.wxug.com/data/images/blogs/atl_ir4_sat_tropicalindex_anim.gif
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline