TravelTalkOnline

Sunglasses?

Posted By: GaKaye

Sunglasses? - 07/31/2019 01:56 PM

My son and daughter-in-law are on the island celebrating their honeymoon. He's asked where he could get polarized sunglasses like Maui Jims or Ray Bans. Any suggestions? I did warn them to be aware of counterfeits. Thanks for any help!
Posted By: IAmCdn54

Re: Sunglasses? - 07/31/2019 03:29 PM

He can dive the gas dock at Marina Cay in the BVI's...my Maui Jims are on the bottom there since 2009 :-)

They were great sunglasses but I replaced them with Serengetis and find them to be better on the water than the Maui Jims. I never liked the lens colouring of Ray Bans.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Sunglasses? - 07/31/2019 03:58 PM

Gee, nobody has any help here? There should be someplace downtown I would think.
Posted By: phillygirl7

Re: Sunglasses? - 07/31/2019 04:04 PM

Phillipsburg has some great sunglass shops, sorry I don't know the names. We do haggle a bit with pricing. We got some cool red and white Prada's on Front Street, let an employee borrow for a golf outing and we never saw those again.

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Sunglasses? - 07/31/2019 04:58 PM

I saw a shop in Philipsburg on Front Street that carried different designer sunglasses but can't remember its name.
Posted By: pat

Re: Sunglasses? - 07/31/2019 05:49 PM

Georgia,

I haven’t shopped for sun glasses in the past few years since I’ve progressed to prescription sun glasses but count me as another who prefers Serengeti’s to Maui Jim’s and Ray Bans. I gave a pair of each to a granddaughter after experiencing the Serengeti’s. There used to be a shop in the Maho complex fairly close to and on the same side as the Mexican restaurant, and another on the corner of Front Street and a wide alley or side street not on the water side. Unfortunately, since I haven’t needed to go to either post-Irma I’m not sure of the status of either at this time.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Sunglasses? - 07/31/2019 06:31 PM

Maui Jim’s website lists Captain Duty Free Shop on Captain Hodge Pier, Hot Look at 30 and 35 Front St, and The Place at 67 Front St as retailers.
Posted By: BarMer

Re: Sunglasses? - 07/31/2019 06:53 PM

There is a big store with lots of brands in Phillipsburg on Front St.
Posted By: JerseyPal

Re: Sunglasses? - 07/31/2019 08:30 PM

The Place is the name , on front street, was there in May, got Maui Jim’s
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Sunglasses? - 07/31/2019 09:55 PM

Ironically hubby found what he says has been the best sunglasses he has ever had at the place that used to be near Salt Pond; the one (can't remember name) where they sold all sorts of souvenirs, dresses, cover-ups, hats etc. I heard it had re located further down near road to carnival field. Someone here should remember the name--very popular.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Sunglasses? - 07/31/2019 10:11 PM

There is/was a Sunglass Hut about a block east of Holland House on the north side of Front Street. That place should have all the brands and prices to match. I've had the same pair of Serengeti's for about twenty years if that's of any help. They've been dropped, sat on, etc. and are still going strong.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Sunglasses? - 07/31/2019 10:12 PM

P.S. ... Look for the sign that says "Duty Free Plaza" above it.
Posted By: blackmercedes

Re: Sunglasses? - 08/01/2019 12:17 AM

I got Maui Jim's at the airport before Irma. LOVE THEM..
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Sunglasses? - 08/01/2019 01:27 AM

Are you thinking of Rima They did sell sunglasses along with everything else but I was not aware they had those brand names.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Sunglasses? - 08/01/2019 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by islandgem
Are you thinking of Rima They did sell sunglasses along with everything else but I was not aware they had those brand names.

Same here, nothing of high quality or price from what I remember

It is now "Kenny's" and is located water-side on Front St.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Sunglasses? - 08/01/2019 12:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've sent them the info. Not sure where or if they even went yesterday, as they've gone radio silent....as they should on their honeymoon!
Posted By: pat

Re: Sunglasses? - 08/01/2019 01:00 PM

Yep!
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Sunglasses? - 08/01/2019 02:37 PM

Yes RIMA
Posted By: BlueGreenWater

Re: Sunglasses? - 08/01/2019 07:57 PM

There's an optician on Old Street in Philipsburg that carries Maui Jim's. Can't remember the name, but Old Street is only a block long, so can't miss it. Used to go there when we went to the Belgian Chocolate Shoppe (no longer there, sadly).
Posted By: cmh2sxm

Re: Sunglasses? - 08/02/2019 01:48 PM

In June we went to the duty free shop located on the pier in Phillipsburg. They have a Hot Look store inside. They have a very large selection of various brands. We got a pair of polarized Maui Jim's ($279) and polarized Costa ($259). They had a special deal, if you bought 2 pair you got a free pair of Ray Bans (not polarized). We didn't really try to negotiate on price but we saved by not paying taxes. Over the years, we have purchased from the Sunglass Hut on Front street many times. They sold Revo and they are the best but I can't find them anymore.
Posted By: GerryT

Re: Sunglasses? - 08/02/2019 03:18 PM

Revo was purchase by the parent company of Oakley. That's why you can't find them.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline