TravelTalkOnline

sailing to St Martin

Posted By: Knotthead

sailing to St Martin - 08/09/2019 09:45 AM

I am sailing over from the BVI tomorrow. My pre Irma guide book makes me think Marigot Bay is a great anchorage. Is this the case now? Looking for access to dinghy docks, supplies, food etc.. Or the big question is should I go around to Simpson bay on the dutch side? This is my first trip over to explore the area. Any good tips from sailors will be appreciated.

Terry
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: sailing to St Martin - 08/09/2019 12:32 PM

There's not a lot of sailors on here, not sure you will get many responses. Simpson Bay does seem to be the most popular area for sailors, or more properly, the Lagoon. Best wishes.
Posted By: d_fish

Re: sailing to St Martin - 08/09/2019 05:41 PM

Yes Marigot Bay is an excellent anchorage. You will find a accessible dinghy dock, Super U grocery store a 10 min walk away, excellent bakeries, ATMS etc. Also a good selection of restaurants in which to choose.

Clearing in is easy and a short walk from the dinghy dock, its is in a building across the road from the Port Louis marina - before you see the bistro O Plongeoir. Ask Customs at the ferry terminal and they will give you directions to walk there. In addition it will be far more convenient and cost effective to clear in and cruise on the French side. No bridge times to wait for openings and cruising permit far cheaper than on the Dutch side. In fact I prefer all anchorages on the French side versus Dutch side.

Enjoy St. Martin, it is a fabulous place to explore!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: sailing to St Martin - 08/09/2019 05:44 PM

Thanks for posting!
Posted By: Knotthead

Re: sailing to St Martin - 08/09/2019 08:36 PM

thank you for the info. Is the dinghy dock near the ft louis marina or down towards the bridge?
Posted By: d_fish

Re: sailing to St Martin - 08/09/2019 11:13 PM

The dinghy dock is by the ferry terminal.
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: sailing to St Martin - 08/10/2019 05:16 PM

While Marigot Bay is a large, easy and good holding anchorage, it tends to roll quite a lot when the tropical waves march through every 4-5 days now. If you are tired of rolling then it is best to go through the Dutch Side bridge and into the Lagoon where all the services are located too. The Lagoon is flat calm without any rolling. But the water is not something to swim in!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline