TravelTalkOnline

Trip Report Sept 25-Oct 5th

Posted By: Chargergirl

Trip Report Sept 25-Oct 5th - 10/19/2019 05:57 PM

Second year in a row back to St Maarten for 40th Anniversary trip, We never repeat places to visit and this is our 2nd trip back to back. We were so glad to see that other travelers are now coming back to the island compared to a year ago! The Maho area especially since last year it was like a ghost town. Everywhere we went this trip we were not alone and I'm so glad to see there is recovery for this island. We stay at SBV and again they did not disappoint. Room was very nice and we love to be able to walk to different bars and restaurants in the evening. We ate/drank at many area restaurants and most did not disappoint. We dined at Pineapple Petes, Toppers, Lee's, Greenhouse, Buccaneer. There is a new Chinese Restaurant by the hotel (which of course I can't remember the name) which was recommended by another traveler staying there which was very good. We also did a day excursion with Billy Bones Charters and had a great day on Anguilla with a great lunch included!. I hope anybody interested in visiting this island does so without reservation as it is a great island with great people!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Trip Report Sept 25-Oct 5th - 10/19/2019 06:05 PM

Hi. Thanks for the report! Did you walk to Lee's? Is there any parking there? I can't tell, had you been to Lee's at the previous location? There is a Chinese restaurant at Simpson Bay Resort now? Where is it exactly?
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Trip Report Sept 25-Oct 5th - 10/19/2019 08:06 PM

Across the street from the Resort .

Re: Trip Report Sept 25-Oct 5th - 10/19/2019 08:09 PM

Lesley--across the street where?
Posted By: Chargergirl

Re: Trip Report Sept 25-Oct 5th - 10/19/2019 09:27 PM

Yes we did walk to Lee’s. There was parking but very limited for sure. The Chinese Restaurant is on the right hand side walking away from the resort. It is upstairs. It’s right before Lee’s.
Posted By: SandS

Re: Trip Report Sept 25-Oct 5th - 10/20/2019 04:07 AM

At one time it was Le Bec Finn. I can’t remember what it was most recently.
Posted By: CaribJoe

Re: Trip Report Sept 25-Oct 5th - 10/20/2019 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by SandS

So French.

Re: Trip Report Sept 25-Oct 5th - 10/20/2019 01:18 PM

OK, thanks for the location info.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Trip Report Sept 25-Oct 5th - 10/20/2019 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by SandS

Do I have oldtimers or didn't Le Bec Fin used to be in Philipsburg?

I could swear I have a picture there with the old hurricane woden shutters propped open to the water.....((now to dig through the 1990's albums...yeah, those times when people took and printed pictures! lol))
Posted By: pat

Re: Trip Report Sept 25-Oct 5th - 10/20/2019 05:18 PM

Yes, Leona, LBF was originally in town as were so many of the really good Dutch side restaurants like D’Livios (sp?), The Red Snapper, The West Indian Tavern - to name but a few who are long gone, along with a few of the hold-outs like Chesterfields, L’Escargot and Antoine’s, even if some are no longer held by the original owners. And those are just the ones that quickly come to mind.......
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Trip Report Sept 25-Oct 5th - 10/21/2019 06:15 PM

Ahh, Pat, memories of the good old days. Our first meal was at Le Bec Fin Phillipsburg, thought I had died and went to heaven. Also liked Pinocchio's and Antoines. Also a place near end of Front Street---probably where Greenhouse is now? can't remember name. Sat outside near the water and had Mahi Mahi for the first time.
Sabastiano's, Poisson D'Or all great and now gone.
Posted By: enzosxm

Re: Trip Report Sept 25-Oct 5th - 10/21/2019 07:35 PM

You are probably talking about the Seafood Galley, excellent.
In front street also Il Pescatore, La Rosa, Callaloo just to mention a few others
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Trip Report Sept 25-Oct 5th - 10/22/2019 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by enzosxm
You are probably talking about the Seafood Galley, excellent.
In front street also Il Pescatore, La Rosa, Callaloo just to mention a few others

Yes, I believe it was Seafood Galley. We stayed at Great Bay Hotel first visit and used to walk the beach into town and have breakfast at a place on the water just after the dock---American breakfast $3.00. And there was a bar in that same area where they had a memo board to leave messages for other people you might be seeking with notes to meet date time. And a jar to collect money for those you needed it.
Posted By: pat

Re: Trip Report Sept 25-Oct 5th - 10/22/2019 12:40 PM

We brought our girls to SXM in 1983 for their first trip. They enjoyed the mornings we drove into town and had breakfast at Pinocchio’s. Warm croissants fresh from the oven and fresh squeezed oj. Those days we went early to allow plenty of time to eat and shop before so many of the shops closed for their midday break and then reopened again for afternoon hours. It was so different ‘back in the day’ - not necessarily better or worse - just different. So many memories........
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline