TravelTalkOnline

euros/dollars

Posted By: SXMNorm

euros/dollars - 10/20/2019 01:20 AM

Anyone with recent info on whether the dollar is worth more than the euro or vice versa/ Anyone know the exchange rate for restaurants on the French side?
Posted By: kim

Re: euros/dollars - 10/20/2019 01:25 AM

Today’s current rate is 1 euro equals 1.12 US dollar. When on the French side I use my cc and have it charged in Euros to get the current rate.
Posted By: TravelHat

Re: euros/dollars - 10/20/2019 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by kim
Today’s current rate is 1 euro equals 1.12 US dollar. When on the French side I use my cc and have it charged in Euros to get the current rate.

That’s the way to go. Most cards now have no foreign transaction fees.

Re: euros/dollars - 10/20/2019 01:28 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: euros/dollars - 10/20/2019 01:34 PM

Looks like you're going very soon, Norm. Enjoy!!!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: euros/dollars - 10/20/2019 01:45 PM

https://www.x-rates.com/calculator/?from=EUR&to=USD&amount=1
Posted By: jeepers

Re: euros/dollars - 10/20/2019 05:04 PM

They really appreciate cash over credit cards. Sometimes the machines "don't work". Fees are high for credit card machines I think. Just my .50 cents worth, inflation & all . 😁

Re: euros/dollars - 10/20/2019 07:52 PM

Then they should discount for cash. Some do but lots don't.
Posted By: pat

Re: euros/dollars - 10/20/2019 08:08 PM

We don’t do a lot of meals on the French side of the island these days but we always do our Anse Marcel days via credit card and have them charge us in EUs. It’s never been a problem and the savings is significant. By the time you rent chairs, do drinks throughout the day and then lunch........it all adds up to much more cash than we typically carry with us and particularly so when we go as a family of four plus one! Those bottles of wine on the beach can add up quickly! But OMGoodness! They do taste delicious.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: euros/dollars - 10/20/2019 09:52 PM

Every vendor appreciates cash over credit cards. I carry both US Dollars, Euros, and no-fee plastic. I pay in whichever means gives me the best deal.

Re: euros/dollars - 10/20/2019 11:55 PM

Yes Carol,...SOON. Thanks to all for the info.
Posted By: EdB

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 03:26 AM

In over thirty years of going...I have NEVER ever carried even one euro in my wallet. Plastic and American greenback have always worked well.

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 01:50 PM

Same here.
Posted By: irina

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 04:18 PM

I believe that if you have a merchant agreement with a CC, you are NOT allowed to discount for cash.
People do it, but it's not appropriate.
Cheers
irina
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by irina
I believe that if you have a merchant agreement with a CC, you are NOT allowed to discount for cash.

Merchants can't charge a surcharge for using a card, but they are permitted (at least by federal law in the US) to offer a discount for using cash. The card brands have guidelines a merchant must follow, but it can be done.

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 05:22 PM

Cheers
irina

Irina....in due respect...i do not think that CC companies have this rule. An owner of any business can dictate the way they can use it. I do believe that they are not allowed to charge EXTRA for using a credit card.....but can discount anything they want. My wife's business accepts credit cards...but does discount frequently for cash. Also...down here in Florida....millions of restaurants offer a ''CASH ONLY" menu ...especially on their ''early birds''. Some will take a credit card, and it is clearly stated an upcharge for X Amount for using credit cards.

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 05:24 PM

eightzerobits....i guess we were typing the same thing at the same time. smile
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by eightzerobits

Merchants can't charge a surcharge for using a card, but they are permitted (at least by federal law in the US) to offer a discount for using cash. The card brands have guidelines a merchant must follow, but it can be done.

Then I know several smaller businesses/restaurants in the US breaking the law if this is indeed fact. We were in a small but very busy bakery a few days ago with a sign indicating a 50 cent charge for the use of a credit card.

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 05:47 PM

Well actually, in Florida anyway, merchants CAN charge more for using a credit card. The Florida legislature passed a law saying they couldn't charge more and it got overturned in the courts. So they can and they do. mad

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 06:06 PM

Aqua Mania charges 5% to use a CC. Many gas stations in the US have a cash price and CC price posted at the pump. Usually .10 more a gallon for CC.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 06:08 PM

We just got back from a quick trip and in VA many gas stations were 5 cents higher for credit. I have witnessed the 5% charge with AquaMania also.

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 06:09 PM

Friers bay doesn't take CC and the exchange rate for dollars to Euro is over the top in their favor.

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 06:11 PM

As my hunting partner tells me rules are only guidelines.
Posted By: IslandBoi

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Friers bay doesn't take CC and the exchange rate for dollars to Euro is over the top in their favor.

that's why we always carry some Euros when on the french side of SXM and especially in St. Barth...the USD/EUR exchange rates for cash transactions in some establishments can be ridiculous...credit cards usually our first option, but cash if we have to
Posted By: ChiTownHarry

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 06:34 PM

Google says:

Starting in 2013, it became legal to charge customers extra for using a credit card. Retailers can also require a minimum purchase amount when you use credit cards. But merchants need to follow specific rules when adding credit card surcharges.

Eleven states—California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas—and Puerto Rico have laws that prohibit merchants from charging consumers with surcharges on credit card transactions.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 06:41 PM

MANY gas stations have different prices for credit vs. cash

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 07:34 PM

We have an electrical business. We have been told it is perfectly legal to add a “3.5% processing fee” stated on the bill if the customer would like to pay by credit card. If they mail a check they can deduct it. I’m in Connecticut. We don’t do much in credit card and get hit with 3.8%. So recouping some is better than none. We thought about just upping our rates but that really isn’t fair to those that Mail a check, which is still about 75% of our business.

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 07:58 PM

As the owner of a business myself, I would never charge a credit card fee. I think that a merchant can decline to accept credit cards, but if they accept credit cards, they should do so at the same rate as cash. But that's just me.

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 08:05 PM

Harry--as I posted above, Florida's law was challenged in court and overturned. Don't know about the status of said laws in other states, but I believe the lawsuit involved several states.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 08:10 PM

Not sure I agree with the earlier statement that most cards have no foreign transaction fees. Most do. Best to check around and obtain one that pays you back for all transactions as well as having zero for foreign transaction fees.

Always a good idea to exchange some funds for euros before departing. I always carry dollars and euros when visiting St. Martin. For some things having cash is the only thing that may work, such as the cost of a taxi. When dining on the french side always take time and review the menu to see if different prices are listed for dollars in one column and euros in another. This is rare, but it doesn't hurt to check. And, at the bottom of the menu there may be pre-printed language about paying an additional percentage if paying with USD. Of course, the first question you should ask would be "is the price the same for U.S. dollars and euros?" Taking the time to do this can avert some surprises when the check arrives. It is also wise to ask if a service fee is being applied (i.e., 4%).

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
As the owner of a business myself, I would never charge a credit card fee. I think that a merchant can decline to accept credit cards, but if they accept credit cards, they should do so at the same rate as cash. But that's just me.

I will disagree with you. There is no law that says I must accept credit cards. If the customer wants to pay by card to get points, why should I as a small business eat the cost for them to do so. They are more then welcome to mail me a check, or pay by ACH via the emailed bill and I eat the 1.00 charge for that. But because we don’t do much with credit card we get hit with 3.8%. That adds up. We are service oriented, not a store and email bills unless handwritten at the time and the customer pays by check.

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 08:31 PM

Like I said, that is MY opinion, as a business owner. If I accept credit cards, I feel the fees are a cost of doing business and I will not charge the customer for it. As a consumer myself, I feel totally ripped off if a business charges me a fee to accept a credit card, so I will never do that to my clients. And it's none of my business why the person wants to pay with a card.

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 08:39 PM

Most governments charge an extra CC fee for paying property taxes with CC. Feds do too.

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Most governments charge an extra CC fee for paying property taxes with CC. Feds do too.

Exactly!

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 08:49 PM

And it totally p*sses me off when they do that. As a consumer, I HATE it, that's why I will never charge a fee to my clients to accept a credit card.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 09:03 PM

If your card has a foreign transaction fee then I would look at getting a different card. I used to have ONE that had no fees and now 3 more have joined the no fee group.

Also...in MANY years of going to SXM I have NEVER used a Euro....I have taken them out of an ATM but for a future trip to France just to have when arriving. One to one if available with USD or CC if not is the way to go....

Re: euros/dollars - 10/21/2019 09:13 PM

I remember years back some shops on the French side would write up the sale in dollars and I had no extra fees on my CC.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline