TravelTalkOnline

Juliana makes the list again

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Juliana makes the list again - 10/27/2019 12:09 PM

Scary runways

..although I don't consider it scary for anyone except possibly pilots..
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Juliana makes the list again - 10/27/2019 01:47 PM

Our pilot friend who has flown in and out of Juliana says it's interesting, but not scary.
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: Juliana makes the list again - 10/27/2019 02:14 PM

We also spoke with a pilot who has landed there, while we were on a boat excursion as we floated around the end of the runway. He spoke a lot of pilot speak on how they take off and land, but said it was really no big deal.

Re: Juliana makes the list again - 10/27/2019 02:38 PM

OK, I guess they are just focused on their job, as opposed to looking at the people down below, which is what I would be doing. ...which is probably why I'm not a pilot! laugh
Posted By: Wingman

Re: Juliana makes the list again - 10/28/2019 12:14 PM

I'm in the aviation business, and this airport, along with Sunset Beach Bar, is a pilot's Mecca. Every pilot I know loves flying in here. Yes, a challenge, but world famous so they look forward to it. Never did I ever here scary. It was always on my bucket list to fly in here, but alas, it never happened.

Re: Juliana makes the list again - 10/28/2019 01:00 PM

Wingman--duh I never connected up your name. I have heard that pilots have to do some special training to fly in there. Is that correct?
Posted By: Wingman

Re: Juliana makes the list again - 10/28/2019 04:07 PM

Hi Carol, Mike here. No, there's no special training for SXM, but for St Bart's, there's a special rating pilots must have to land at that airport.

Re: Juliana makes the list again - 10/28/2019 04:11 PM

OK, thanks.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline