TravelTalkOnline

? For those at BSV now

Posted By: BeachKitten

? For those at BSV now - 11/02/2019 02:19 PM

Can’t recall how well the kitchen is supplied.

Is there a baking pan that is lasagna sized? Similar to 9x13? Depth?

I’d like to cook and have people over next week.

I can buy one while we are out today, if not.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/02/2019 02:40 PM

I just asked Mike on FB.
Hope he gets the message.
I never saw any there, but things change.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/02/2019 02:47 PM

Thanks! If not l can buy an aluminum one I suppose.

Right now at La Plage they have a Corelle set.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/02/2019 02:56 PM

Try putting a message on Simply sxm.

Good Luck!!
Posted By: fabila

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/02/2019 03:20 PM

No, Leona. There are baking sheets with a small lip. You couldn't make lasagna with it.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/02/2019 03:57 PM

As Louise said, no lasagna pans. In fact, I often have found no cookie sheets even. We have made do with the broiler pan, upon occasion, with aluminum foil on it. Before I buy something like Corelle, I would check at Carrefour, as I seem to remember they had aluminum one use type pans. Either there, or Super U, or Ace.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/02/2019 04:07 PM

Thanks Louise. Have you seen a grater? Or should I buy shredded mozz?

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/02/2019 04:08 PM

Definitely a grater in most units there. If you find you don't have a grater, ask the maid for one, and they will steal one from another unit. grin
Posted By: fabila

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/02/2019 04:27 PM

We had 3 1/4 sheet pans. One is a bit bigger

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/02/2019 04:46 PM

I know Pat is reading this and laughing... “Why would I cook or grocery shop in SXM? “

wink

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/02/2019 05:30 PM

Yes, I lost my head at one point and made some recommendations to her in a PM, about things to buy at the grocery store. She set me straight in short order!!! usflag
Posted By: pat

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/02/2019 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten
I know Pat is reading this and laughing... “Why would I cook or grocery shop in SXM? “

wink

LOL! And out loud no less.

And just to set the record straight, I do cook on the island but I don’t shop if there’s any way in the world to avoid it. That's but one of the reasons I fell in love with Jeannie at Shopndrop as soon as she started her business.

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Yes, I lost my head at one point and made some recommendations to her in a PM, about things to buy at the grocery store. She set me straight in short order!!! usflag

Pat really HATES to shop for anything but groceries above all else. And as much as she likes pretty shiny things, she even hates to shop in jewelry stores!!

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/02/2019 07:08 PM

Mike did answer-- no baking pans in his villa either.

You do have to post now, whether you made the lasagna or not---lol hungry

Pat, I thought you would be there by now???

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/02/2019 07:23 PM

Not until midweek Terry. Trying to pack and do a gazillion things in preparation and anticipation. Definitely will head to Jules while there but thinking the Nutella probably won’t hit CT so I will apologize in advance! 😊😊
Posted By: Wingman

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/02/2019 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by pat
Not until midweek Terry. Trying to pack and do a gazillion things in preparation and anticipation. Definitely will head to Jules while there but thinking the Nutella probably won’t hit CT so I will apologize in advance! 😊😊

Those Nutella croissants from Jules are lucky if they make it back to BSV let alone CT...lol

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/02/2019 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wingman
Originally Posted by pat

Those Nutella croissants from Jules are lucky if they make it back to BSV let alone CT...lol

You guys are making so many excuses---
I should never have told you about them. hammer
jester jester

Is this your first time meeting in person?
The pool is going to be hopping!!!
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/03/2019 03:27 AM

does BSV have emergency generators that kick in when power fails?
Posted By: RonDon

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/03/2019 12:25 PM

My guess is no because they have a lantern in the closet with the safe that was pointed out to us in case of power failure.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/03/2019 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by The_Lurker
Originally Posted by pat

You guys are making so many excuses---
I should never have told you about them. hammer
jester jester

Is this your first time meeting in person?
The pool is going to be hopping!!!

I hope it counts that when ever I have one, I think of you....LOL. The pool was hopping yesterday. A few new people came in the other day. I went out to the pool and it had the most people I've ever seen out there. Finally met Karen, Wild Bill and Pat. Very nice people.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/03/2019 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by RonDon
My guess is no because they have a lantern in the closet with the safe that was pointed out to us in case of power failure.

That doesn't necessarily say there is no backup generator. Even though the Flamingo had backup power we also had hurricane candles and flashlights supplied in our rooms.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/03/2019 02:25 PM

For what it’s worth, and allowing for the fact we haven’t spent nearly the amount of time at BSV as have so many, we can now count multiple weeks of stays, and even with the heavy rains and winds of last November’s trip, we’ve never lost power or water there. Should I bite my tongue now or next week?

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/03/2019 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by pat
For what it’s worth, and allowing for the fact we haven’t spent nearly the amount of time at BSV as have so many, we can now count multiple weeks of stays, and even with the heavy rains and winds of last November’s trip, we’ve never lost power or water there. Should I bite my tongue now or next week?

Your playing with fire. Lol. Better knock on wood. Lol

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/03/2019 03:18 PM

Yes, Wingman, it counts a lot!!!! blush

I'm happy you all met--they are nice people.

I noticed some of the people in your group are new---I didn't recognize them and missed some
that I expected to see. Hope everyone is well.
Hopefully our trips will coincide again and we can enjoy a drink together.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/03/2019 03:43 PM

Wingman would know for sure. We've never been out of power or water there either.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/03/2019 03:50 PM

Wingman would know for sure. We've never been out of power or water there either.

Back in the earlier days, 90's to early 2000's, it would happen a lot. I can honestly say that I can't remember the last time the power went out here(knocking very hard on wood right now). I'm usually here for 2 weeks in the fall(here now) and 2 weeks March into April. So there's a month out of the year that it hasn't happened....
Posted By: VGerfo

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/03/2019 04:41 PM

And I, on the other hand, am a super market junkie! I could go to Super U every day. And, although I’m sure it’s great to find staples in your place when you arrive, I can’t be deprived of the pleasure of walking the aisles and finding French specialties and veggies.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/03/2019 05:11 PM

VGerfo--I'm with you!! I love grocery shopping in SXM, and most times, at home. Different strokes!

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/03/2019 06:11 PM

GEBE was having generator problems around 3 or 4 years ago, in November, and turned power on and off for weeks.
The whole island was having problems.
It was the same time when they had the "Super Moon", and it was amazing how the whole beach lit up, and we could make it back to our Villas with no problem..

At other times, power and water was off, but never for long.
Everything has been updated there.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/04/2019 06:59 PM

Found some aluminum pans at Carrefour.

Two grocery stops and all ingredients found.

Sauce is simmering and noodles are boiling. I shall begin assembling the lasagna(s) momentarily! #5 smells really good right now!!

My sous chef helped prepare the apps. Watermelon, goat cheese, prosciutto skewers. Cucumber cups with hummus. French bread of course. A large mixed salad and avocado. Special guest is brining coconut tarts! Yummy.

Now we shall pray to the oven gods that they cook evenly.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/04/2019 07:04 PM

Happy it worked out!!

Enjoy your meal and your stay at BSV!

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/04/2019 07:24 PM

Sounds really good. I'll be right over!! grin Enjoy!!
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/04/2019 07:33 PM

Got to give you a lot of credit to throw a party with all that cooking on a beautiful beach day. Certainly not a vacation for me. Different strokes. LOL Hope it was all worth it.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/04/2019 07:45 PM

Thanks! It's always beautiful here. My sous chef said he didn't mind cooking with me as we hear the waves, and can watch the water.

We are ON the beach so don't need to go anywhere. wink

Plus after several beach days in the past 9 days and then 8 hours on a boat sailing one day this week, we've had QUITE enough sun! lol....

Cocktails, wine, and appetizers will be out on the deck as the sun sets....perfect. I love bringing an eclectic group of people together over food.

((come on over Carol...there are two trays!))

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/04/2019 08:02 PM

Leona--I'm tempted, but I think I would miss dinner, unless I chartered a private jet! laugh Enjoy!!
Posted By: Kennys

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/04/2019 09:30 PM

Looking forward to this evening lol.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/05/2019 03:12 AM

So Lesley...did it turn out well? wink

And how was my surprise guest?

Loved Shirley!!! She’s a pistol.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/05/2019 12:18 PM

Good morning Dear , it was wonderful and was totally surprised with the "guest". Was very pleasant indeed. Thanks and next time on us lol.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/05/2019 01:34 PM

Glad you had such a good time at your dinner party. We did our "big BBQ" Sunday night. You certainly can't beat the ambiance here at BSV for a nice dinner on the water.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/05/2019 01:43 PM

Glad you had such a good time at your dinner party. We did our "big BBQ" Sunday night. You certainly can't beat the ambiance here at BSV for a nice dinner on the water.

Thank you! It went off very nicely. wink Now I still have an entire unbaked tray of lasagna (I made 2) to find a home for...lol.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/05/2019 02:18 PM

Good stuff!! I was hoping you would post some pictures!! clapping

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/05/2019 02:28 PM

Looks wonderful, nice job!!!

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/05/2019 04:50 PM

Wow!
Looks wonderful!!
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/05/2019 07:00 PM

What is the topping on the cucumber slices?

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/05/2019 08:20 PM

Scooped out and with hummus. Some topped with a harissa sauce.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/05/2019 08:33 PM

Sounds good.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/06/2019 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Originally Posted by pat

Your playing with fire. Lol. Better knock on wood. Lol

You guys just HAD to go there didn't you? lol

We lost power last night. It was as we were going to bed (9:30...lame, I know..but I am sick). Thankfully it came on again after only about an hour. But the answer is "no"..no emergency generator.

Drew has said that they also added water lines after Irma, as the cistern had sea water in it. So now I suppose they have the option of being on cistern or switching to the gebe water.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/06/2019 01:57 PM

Sorry to hear you're sick, Leona. It sucks to be sick AND to be going home today.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/06/2019 01:59 PM

I may want to blow my head off with the congestion....ack!

Got something at the pharmacy but it makes me too floaty. I need my wits to travel, so may just suffer through this. frown

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/06/2019 02:01 PM

Tough to fly with a stuffed up head. Hope the trip home is as trouble-free as possible.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/06/2019 02:06 PM

Sorry you're not feeling well Leona. As someone said, a double wammy that you have to leave as well. Sorry I didn't get to see you while you were here. Safe travels home and hope you're feeling better.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/06/2019 02:26 PM

Thanks dude!
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/06/2019 02:28 PM

But does your car smell nice? tonguea

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/06/2019 02:31 PM

Wishing you well .

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/06/2019 03:06 PM

Feel better!
Safe travels!

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/06/2019 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
But does your car smell nice? tonguea

lol Elaine! Love you. You were a lifesaver....

Yes, it smelled nice...until I could no longer smell it as I'm so congested...ha ha

Thank you friend.

Re: ? For those at BSV now - 11/06/2019 04:09 PM

Does it mean that the next person to rent that car will need a hazmat suit? LOL
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline