TravelTalkOnline

Monday/St. Maarten Day

Posted By: ruralcarrier

Monday/St. Maarten Day - 11/12/2019 10:52 AM

We started off with a light breakfast here at Horny Toad before heading into town as Ronalee has some more shopping she wanted to do. My intention was to have a full breakfast at Chesterfield's and skip lunch as we had dinner plans with friends at Isola. Due to it being St. Maarten Day, Chesterfield's was closed so that plan went out the window. Traffic was very light and we actually found free parking at the lot along the road. Two ships in and that meant a lot of business, Caribbean Gems was packed. A very light lunch and a drink at Big Wood and it was back to the Horny Toad.

I went to SMYC for a quick drink and to see if perhaps Brian was there but he was not. My wife tried getting in the water here but was not comfortable with the wave, even though they had died down some. We did see people in the water for the first time since our arrival.

Social hour here at Horny Toad as a few new guests had showed up.

Dinner was at Isola. I parked near Flamingo and as we were walking to Isola I heard a familiar voice call out my name. It was Kerine who used to work for Davide at La Gondola and then Izi. She is working at the cafe on the corner. They were not busy but Isola had a decent crowd. We were part of a group and all appeared to enjoy their dinner choices.

It appears to be a little calmer today and for the first time I can see Saba as I looked out to check on arriving ships and Doug siting on the wall with the cat. If we can get in the water here we will stay here today, if not it will likely be Mullet Bay, Amazing the difference in the wave action between Simpson Bay and Mullet Bay.
Posted By: pat

Re: Monday/St. Maarten Day - 11/12/2019 11:24 AM

Your day sounds like a good one and vaguely familiar too.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Monday/St. Maarten Day - 11/12/2019 12:17 PM

I had never heard of Big Wood until recently, and now it seems like the place to go in town. What kind of food do they serve?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Monday/St. Maarten Day - 11/12/2019 12:35 PM

Same owner as Driftwood Boat Bar. Sandwiches, shawarma, shrimp, etc. I had a shrimp shawarma and my wife had a big hot dog the other day, yesterday we just split an order of fries that were really good. They are on the boardwalk and were doing a very brisk beach business as well as drinks. If we go back into town I will take a closer look at the menu. Reasonable prices on both food and drinks and they have a lounge rental package for the beach that was a good deal.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Monday/St. Maarten Day - 11/12/2019 01:28 PM

Fun place!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Monday/St. Maarten Day - 11/12/2019 02:19 PM

Sounds like a good day. Hope Ronalee is able to satisfy her shopping wishes!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Monday/St. Maarten Day - 11/12/2019 03:25 PM

We just love Isola. Marco is doing a great job.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline