TravelTalkOnline

PJIA Status question

Posted By: candj

PJIA Status question - 11/25/2019 06:21 PM

We have been to the island since Irma and the arrival and departure areas were a mess. The article in the Daily Herald today makes it look like they are still in the design phase with not much actual construction.
https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/92736-irion-pjia-agreements-to-be-signed-in-coming-days-2

We arrive next Saturday and were wondering what we can expect?

Will we still be bused from and to the plane?
Is there a real indoor baggage areas with baggage carousels?
Are there check in counters, in the building, or still in tents?
Is there a food court area open in the building or in tents?
Is there an air conditioned waiting area in the building or in tents?
When checking in for the departure, do you still have to wait outside?
We assume that the Saturday arrival and departure will be a zoo?

It has been 2 years and 2 months since Irma and you would think that the airport should be back to near normal operations??
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: PJIA Status question - 11/25/2019 07:43 PM

Yes, you will be bused to the plane, unless you are parked right at the terminal. Tents are gone, all inside now with check in counters. Small scattering of shops and food inside. All is under airco. No waiting outside. Saturday is the busiest day. Don't know about luggage since we never check bags.
Posted By: pat

Re: PJIA Status question - 11/25/2019 07:59 PM

There is at least one luggage carousel and checking luggage for departing flights was done indoors. We departed on a Wednesday and it would have been a piece of cake if it weren’t for the two departing but delayed JB flights (one of which was ours....), along with the Air France and AA flights along with countless smaller flights all departing at approximately the same time. It was a zoo in the departure area but those were hopefully not the normal circumstances.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: PJIA Status question - 11/25/2019 09:10 PM

Arriving 2 weeks ago, we walked from the plane to the terminal but upon departure we were bussed.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: PJIA Status question - 11/25/2019 10:19 PM

Last May we were bused, everything was inside and no tents with adequate AC. Luggage came on a turn belt like before Irma.
Posted By: blackmercedes

Re: PJIA Status question - 11/26/2019 12:24 AM

No MATTER WHAT.....when you make that turn to land....NOTHING BETTER.....regardless. Sat. will be our 6th time back since Irma..20 times before. Our first trip back was Dec. after the storm. It is Heaven on Earth. el Zafiro. Here we come!! Lesley...aka Kenny's, Here we come...AGAIN. haha
Posted By: Kennys

Re: PJIA Status question - 11/26/2019 12:46 AM

Yes Dear , Blessings !
Posted By: Wingman

Re: PJIA Status question - 11/26/2019 11:15 AM

It looks like everyone here that's commented have all answered your questions. I'll ad that I really believe that whether you have a "mess" on your hands, arrival or departure, depends on the day and the circumstances. We were there a couple of weeks ago, departing on a Friday and it was 20 minutes from parking the car in the lot til the time we were in the food court having a Johnny Burger. Others in our group who left on different days, were not so lucky. This was my 3rd trip since the tents and all of them were non events, sometimes even easier before Irma.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: PJIA Status question - 11/26/2019 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
Arriving 2 weeks ago, we walked from the plane to the terminal but upon departure we were bussed.

I had the same experience on November 13 for my arrival. Haven't departed yet.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: PJIA Status question - 11/27/2019 02:40 PM

My arrival was horrible. It took almost 2 hours to get through immigration as 3 flights arrived at the same time and they just could not handle it. Hopefully departure will be better!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: PJIA Status question - 11/27/2019 03:28 PM

Elizabeth--did you come in on a Saturday?
Posted By: islandgem

Re: PJIA Status question - 11/30/2019 03:56 PM

No I arrived on a Tuesday and departing on Tuesday. If more than one flight arrives at the same time, it is chaotic regardless of the day.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline