TravelTalkOnline

French Side Vacation

Posted By: filet2u

French Side Vacation - 12/18/2019 02:03 PM

We have a paid and booked vacation with 10 of us to stay in a home on the French side the middle of Feb. to March 2 whole weeks and we have been there last year and loved it. We are going with 2 other couples who have never been there and this news that we see and read about is concerning. Not sure if we should switch to the Dutch side as we are staying in the Orient Village area. I feel so bad for the people but I know they need the tourist to help them to get back on there feet... so I would like to be updated on people on the island.. this has been a true reporting family and need to know if we should still go but switch to the Dutch side.. Thanks for your input.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/18/2019 02:08 PM

filet--I think the next day or so will be telling, after the announcements from yesterday from the French government. If there are still blockages after today, I think I personally would try to shift to the Dutch side.. Is your lodging fully paid for??
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/18/2019 02:09 PM

A lot can change between now and the middle of Feb. Possibly for the better or things could still be going on. I talked to a local friend yesterday who lives on the French side, he knows about as much as what people can read on here and is concerned for his safety and livelihood.

If it were me, I would look for something on the Dutch side and if things calm down, you can always venture to the Orient area. My personal view of the French side is not positive but realistically speaking, it is a crap shoot at this point as to what the situation will be even tomorrow. Good luck.

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/18/2019 02:12 PM

JD--if you talk to Junior again, after yesterday's announcement, would be interested to hear his current take on things.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/18/2019 02:15 PM

I will probably try him later this week and will update if he has any information.
Posted By: jeepers

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/18/2019 02:18 PM

I have just emailed our friend who we have known for 21 years. He is a dj on radio st Martin 101.5 & he interviews politicians all the time on air. He lives on Friars Bay road. He may be on this morning from 10 to 11 our time & then he does music from 11 to 12 our time. You can't access this on tablet for some reason but desk & laptop for sure. Radiostmartin.com & it will come up not sure if there will be interviews today. I will let you know his response to my very pointed email.
We are 17 days out from arrival.

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/18/2019 02:23 PM

Thanks Jeepers and JD
Posted By: jeepers

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/18/2019 03:43 PM

Gus says "it's all over now they are cleaning up. the minister in France has cancelled that bad decision. As of today all is going back to normal." He was very concerned of course. We are still going at this point.

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/18/2019 03:46 PM

OK, I hope he is correct.
Posted By: Bip

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/18/2019 03:58 PM

The situation has us reconsidering our July vacation. We were ready to pull the trigger on our airfare and am not sure what to do at this point. We really loved the Grand Case area, especially Le Petit and the ability to walk to restaurants. I know there are other areas to explore, but the ability to move freely was what we enjoyed most about the island and unfortunately this clouds everything now.

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/18/2019 04:00 PM

You have quite a while to decide. I would wait at least a week or two and see how things shake out.

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/18/2019 04:05 PM

We are. However, the three month suspension is a little concerning if there is no resolution during that time.We'll see.
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/18/2019 05:52 PM

We have stayed many times at a villa in Terres Basses at Baie Rouge. That area is just at the border and had no problems i understand getting in or out plus the villas are normally behind their own gated area with their own good security. Personally I’d feel fine staying in that area as it’s just barely within the border and just a few minutes back to the Dutch side. To far into the French side could be a problem to get out if something else happens. We love both sides and pray things we get resolved.
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/18/2019 06:30 PM

I'm with you Bip. The 3 month suspension will end just before we get there, and then it's anybody's guess, but we still have some time to figure it out.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/18/2019 06:38 PM

Hopefully an agreement on an acceptable plan will happen before then.

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/18/2019 06:47 PM

Agreed, lets hope so for everyone's sake.

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/18/2019 08:03 PM

SXMbeacher, if not resolved maybe we'll just extend our visit to Acadia this year.

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/18/2019 09:43 PM

You sure can. We was just in Acadia in Oct. Beautiful country, just a lot different vacation for sure. I would still hold out for SXM and give them a chance.

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/23/2019 09:25 PM

almost we paid the deposit and friend are on the beach in Orient.. some staying for a few days.. 6 and we are staying 14 days..

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/23/2019 09:27 PM

We would be there when it ends.. OUCH hope they find a solution now..

Re: French Side Vacation - 12/23/2019 09:27 PM

I spoke to a local on the island this week … he seems to think it is getting better but he is on the Dutch side..
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline