TravelTalkOnline

Mobile Phone SIM cards

Posted By: I_AM_CDN

Mobile Phone SIM cards - 01/24/2020 07:33 PM

I have seen a few references about places with best deals on SIM cards but I am currently clueless as to where these places are.
We will arrive mid-day, pickup car at airport and head to Orient AirBNB. We need to call the landlord on our way so would like to get the SIM card shortly after we have the car.
If you were driving airport to Orient where would you stop for SIM Card?
Thanks
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Mobile Phone SIM cards - 01/24/2020 11:18 PM

Go via Philipsburg and stop at the Carrefour next to Mark's Place. Enter the building and look to your right for Tech Hub. They'll set you up. Not sure it's the cheapest, but the folks there know what they're doing and are very helpful.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Mobile Phone SIM cards - 01/25/2020 12:25 AM

Agreed, those folks seem to know what they are doing, as compared to a lot of other places on island.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Mobile Phone SIM cards - 01/25/2020 01:08 AM

TECH HUB

You can find their hours under "About", looks like they close at 6:30 and not open on Sunday. As the others said, they do know what they are doing there.

Re: Mobile Phone SIM cards - 01/25/2020 01:27 AM

Merci bien!
We'll grab our groceries and libations at the same time

Re: Mobile Phone SIM cards - 01/25/2020 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by I_AM_CDN
Merci bien!
We'll grab our groceries and libations at the same time

Do NOT leave your car unattended with anything of value in it. Have one person stay with the car or your belongings may not be there when you return. This is a very busy store and parking lot but the rule of thumb is, NOTHING left in the vehicle anytime or anywhere.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Mobile Phone SIM cards - 01/25/2020 12:59 PM

I second that. If something is not even visible you run the risk if it being gone.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Mobile Phone SIM cards - 01/25/2020 01:15 PM

I third that. Never leave any THING in your car, at any TIME, at any PLACE.

Re: Mobile Phone SIM cards - 01/25/2020 02:40 PM

Does one even bother locking the empty car? That was the car rental agency's advice on my last visit in the 90's.
"Leaving unlocked prevents broken windows"

Re: Mobile Phone SIM cards - 01/25/2020 02:45 PM

Does one even bother locking the empty car? That was the car rental agency's advice on my last visit in the 90's.

I would ask again as it varies from agency to agency and visit to visit and sometimes one is told to lock and other times they are told not to. On my last visit in Nov. we were told to lock so I did but I have also been told otherwise.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Mobile Phone SIM cards - 01/25/2020 03:04 PM

Nearly 500 cars were reported stolen in St. Martin last year so leaving it unlocked might be an issue

Re: Mobile Phone SIM cards - 01/25/2020 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier

I would ask again as it varies from agency to agency and visit to visit and sometimes one is told to lock and other times they are told not to. On my last visit in Nov. we were told to lock so I did but I have also been told otherwise.

I guess it depends on who you rent from. Myra at AAA told us to leave it unlocked except overnight at our resort.

Re: Mobile Phone SIM cards - 01/25/2020 04:35 PM

Yes but I have been told both ways in the past by the same rental agency. I always ask and do what they suggest on that specific rental.

Re: Mobile Phone SIM cards - 01/25/2020 05:01 PM

As do we.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Mobile Phone SIM cards - 01/25/2020 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by boucharda
Nearly 500 cars were reported stolen in St. Martin last year so leaving it unlocked might be an issue

Where in the heck are 500 stolen cars kept hidden on a 36 square mile island?? You would think that they would be able to find a few.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Mobile Phone SIM cards - 01/25/2020 06:57 PM

That's a tad over 1/day...used for parts or transported off Island . As the French say "desosses" ...(deboned wink ) Article in the free French weekly paper that came out on Friday. To make it more interesting the 486 cars were only from the French side
Posted By: deirdre1

Re: Mobile Phone SIM cards - 01/25/2020 07:41 PM

Reporting a stolen vehicle to the Gendarmes is not a fun thing to do! Been there and done that and I lost a few vacation hours.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline