TravelTalkOnline

Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side

Posted By: PelicanPirate

Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/26/2020 04:40 PM

General perception is French side progress on repair/rebuild is slow/non-existent compared to Dutch.

So what remains: 1) damaged/destroyed, no progress; 2 damaged/destroyed with progress.

No Progress

1) Club Orient Resort

Progress
1) Mt Vernon Residences, serious progress
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/26/2020 04:43 PM

Marina Royal? Marigot waterfront? Nettle Bay area?
Posted By: pat

Re: Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/26/2020 05:46 PM

Ruralcarrier,

I think You’re right on the money - there is so much more progress than what’s been listed here. The trouble is that many of us didn’t see the initial damage and given the very slow response on the French side from both the insurance agencies and particularly the homeland government with all their demands, the expected recovery doesn’t appear to be happening. And certainly not with the speed of recovery on Sint Maarten. Just my opinion, but slowly and surely, it is coming around. I’f tge government would get out of the way it would probably happen a lot faster.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/26/2020 05:56 PM

But, the beach is still there! And, so is Bikini Beach Bar, KKO, Kontiki, Perch Bar & Grille, etc. And, Palm Court has reopened in the village. Much more to go, but I'm thankful for what has come back, especially when I weight other options in the Caribbean this winter.
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/26/2020 06:23 PM

I'm amazed at the fortitude of those folks trying to rebuild their Carbet's on Orient, dealing with all they have been going through, and also had to deal with their damaged dwellings besides.
Posted By: biglar

Re: Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/26/2020 06:52 PM

So much of Grand Case is still in shambles. The Catholic Church needs serious repairs. Even though many of the restaurants are open, it still is tough to drive down the street and see all the damage that's not repaired. And...will it ever be done? My guess is it's too costly without government help.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/26/2020 07:16 PM

biglar--Grand Case is in shambles still, agreed. Orient Village is in so much better shape.
Posted By: doctorj

Re: Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/27/2020 03:53 AM

I am sure it has been posted but I would love to know if Calmos has any updates.
Loved that place.
Carib cheers,
doctorj
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/27/2020 04:08 AM

As I posted in the other thread, respectfully, what is the purpose of discussing things not fixed? It is what it is.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/27/2020 04:40 AM

I agree with Jazzgal ... let's just be thankful for what is up-and-running and what we have. If something is still in need of repair we simply won't go there. My wife and I were here last March and we had a great time, and now we're looking forward to our next visit in about five weeks. As long as the weather cooperates I now we'll have a great time. We can go anywhere in the Caribbean we want including Mexico, but we choose St. Martin this time of year because of all it has meant to us in the past. For those reading this forum and trying to decide whether to come here in the next few months I would strongly encourage you to still make your plans and visit. There's still a lot to do, beautiful beaches, and great dining all over this island (including the French side).
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/27/2020 08:35 AM

Has anyone been to Bruno's new LaPlaya? It's not the structure that he once had. BUT in talking with him, he said; God forbid another Irma, he can have all of it down and packed away with in a few hours!! The menu is outstanding. His new staff is amazing, same new beach chairs with new umbrella's with cocktail tables. Private seating serving breakfast and lunch with lovely cocktails!! He is now the only beach front to have a sand grader, this machine not only cleans all the ugly Sargassum but it also cleans all those nasty cigarette butts too, leaves the sand silky smooth!! "Our" Orient beach, she's coming back. Little by little. She's a tough ole girl!!!

Re: Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/27/2020 02:25 PM

Bruno told us he demanded something to clean the sand in front of LaPlaya from the owner and that's how that came to be. Glad he's coming back..
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/27/2020 02:48 PM

i saw a picture of the beach in front of LaPlaya and the sand look amazingly neat and clean after raking.
Posted By: sxmbeachlover

Re: Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/27/2020 02:55 PM

Can't wait to return! This is island life, hurricane after hurricane. We first visited in 1999, and marveled at all the new construction, not, at that time fully realizing that the reason was 1995 hurricane Luis. We revel in the rebirth!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/27/2020 03:30 PM

Is LaPlaya the only one with a sand grader or do others have one too or access to one?
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/27/2020 06:22 PM

Many reports say French way behind Dutch, im not sure completely true with both sides having things slow to bounce back. The list might show full picture.

Re: Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/28/2020 03:46 AM

Just curious if anyone has information about Alex and Calmos. We continue to go back with our 5th trip since Irma. Love the Island, Love the people, and can’t wait to get back. Thank you in advance.
carib cheers,
doctorj
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/28/2020 06:14 AM

Alex hopes to have Calmo's back up & running by October. Meanwhile, he is doing well at his new venture Le Telegraphe, which we really enjoyed last month.

Re: Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/28/2020 02:10 PM

Yes, Le Telegraphe is a great addition to Orient Village. And a TTOL sponsor! handshake

Re: Post Irma Things Not Fixed on the French Side - 01/28/2020 03:31 PM

Great to hear!
Thanks so much for the info.
We will check it out in May.
carib cheers,
doctorj
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline