TravelTalkOnline

Any work being done at airport

Posted By: DICKG

Any work being done at airport - 01/30/2020 08:23 PM

I know this is a on going Question , but is anything being done ?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Any work being done at airport - 01/30/2020 08:50 PM

Yes.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Any work being done at airport - 01/30/2020 09:32 PM

Just some final signatures needed. But it 's coming through as tough as is .
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: Any work being done at airport - 01/31/2020 01:55 PM

New CFO is finally onboard which was one of the conditions of funds being released by the bondholders. https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/airport-appoints-new-cfo-stavast
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Any work being done at airport - 01/31/2020 02:06 PM

The appointment of the CFO is definitely good news.

I believe the original question was, is there actual work going on at the airport right now? Are you sure there is actual work going on, JD?? My understanding was that they were basically stuck, until the money was released from Holland?
Posted By: kim

Re: Any work being done at airport - 01/31/2020 02:12 PM

Between my November return and my January return it seemed like much was being done. New very large bar down in the bottom of the airport with plenty of seating. Planes were also deplaning close to the jetways and allowed you to walk in and not take a bus in December. I know that can change per flight. But I flew in at least 7 times last year and December was the first time we were parked up close to the airport

Re: Any work being done at airport - 01/31/2020 02:15 PM

As kim stated, the new bar and the kiosks outside are both new.

Re: Any work being done at airport - 01/31/2020 02:20 PM

I forgot about the bar, but frankly, I would expect that that was paid for by the people operating the bar. In most places, the vendor has to build out their own space. As far as parking closer to the airport, how does that signify that there is working being done inside?? I hope I'm wrong, but as I said, I was under the impression that the airport had no money to do anything until they get the money from Holland.
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: Any work being done at airport - 01/31/2020 11:39 PM

No construction going on there yesterday,. Had to walk about 50 yards out on the tarmac to get to plane........ then walk up about 38 stairs to enter the plane. There would be no way to get on that plane if you were wheelchair bound or on crutches.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Any work being done at airport - 02/01/2020 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by SXMBND
No construction going on there yesterday,. Had to walk about 50 yards out on the tarmac to get to plane........ then walk up about 38 stairs to enter the plane. There would be no way to get on that plane if you were wheelchair bound or on crutches.

I'm sure they'd figure out how to get you on if you were challenged. They have ramps available if needed.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Any work being done at airport - 02/01/2020 12:31 AM

I have also seen a platform lifted with what looked like a forklift used.

Re: Any work being done at airport - 02/01/2020 12:36 AM

Actually, the ramp is apparently only used for Jet Blue flights, as far as I can tell. I have seen them actually carry a straight chair up the stairs.
Posted By: pat

Re: Any work being done at airport - 02/01/2020 12:43 AM

Once upon a time........in what almost seems like a lifetime ago, we watched and waited as a wheelchair bound passenger was hoisted up on a platform and what sounds like the forklift-like apparatus Scuba described, and was ultimately wheeled off and into the plane. The passenger was seated in first class and upon arrival, remained seated until all other passengers had deplaned and was helped into the wheelchair and wheeled off the plane and through the various stages in NY.

Re: Any work being done at airport - 02/01/2020 10:34 AM

UPDATE

Transit corridor opened Jan. 18.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Any work being done at airport - 02/01/2020 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Actually, the ramp is apparently only used for Jet Blue flights, as far as I can tell. I have seen them actually carry a straight chair up the stairs.

No, we arrived on Delta in November, and used the ramp. Upon departing it wasn't used though. I still believe they would figure out how to board a truly disabled person who couldn't walk up the stairs.

Re: Any work being done at airport - 02/01/2020 01:38 PM

The Airport Board had a meeting with us Home Owners of Beacon Hill last evening at El Zafiro and they showed us everything on screen. Work will start in April this year and completed in 2022.

Re: Any work being done at airport - 02/01/2020 01:50 PM

Lesley--so, there is no active work going on at the airport right now? You said 'start' in April.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Any work being done at airport - 02/01/2020 02:06 PM

I'm not surprised by "start in April". Every construction project which I have ever done includes planning, scheduling, and mobilization periods, as well as the pre-ordering and delivery of material. The planning and pre-ordering on SXM has to be done with really fine precision - the opportunities to send an apprentice down to pick up that "one forgotten item" from the supply house aren't as prevalent on SXM as they are in the US.

Re: Any work being done at airport - 02/01/2020 02:22 PM

Correct , thanks for your addition. It's very detailed . They showed us everything . Thanks once again for positive input.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline