TravelTalkOnline

SXM Animal Welfare Foundation Used Book Donation

Posted By: gracie5

SXM Animal Welfare Foundation Used Book Donation - 02/12/2020 07:38 PM

There is a wonderful card/gift store on Welfare Road called Good Cards. It is located in the La Palapa Center across from the Little Jerusalem Restaurant. The owner, Annie, is collecting used hard back & paperback books which she is selling & all the proceeds go to the Animal Welfare Foundation. Please donate your books for a good cause.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: SXM Animal Welfare Foundation Used Book Donation - 02/12/2020 07:48 PM

Thanks for posting. The books are actually being sold at the Good Cards store? Not sure how much a person could actually raise from that, as the price for used books most places is pretty low. But I will try to stop by the next time I'm on island and check it out.

Re: SXM Animal Welfare Foundation Used Book Donation - 02/12/2020 09:35 PM

Yes, the owner of the store is selling the books for $3.00 each. I believe that every little bit helps the animals. It’s better than doing nothing.

Re: SXM Animal Welfare Foundation Used Book Donation - 02/12/2020 11:41 PM

Wow, ok, that is fairly steep for used books, especially paperbacks, which if you get lucky, you can get new for close to that.. If I remember, I may try to go by there, but I'm not sure how successful she will be. Maybe people will come in and just make donations. That is more likely, I think.
Posted By: pat

Re: SXM Animal Welfare Foundation Used Book Donation - 02/13/2020 01:49 AM

Hmmm, I haven’t paid a lot of attention lately but the paperbacks that draw my interest are usually a lot more expensive than that.

Preface my comments by admitting I have my trusty Kindle loaded with books so chances are this would be a non-issue for me, but if I were in the market for something to read and knew about this service, I would not hesitate to pay $3.00 for a book where the cost would ultimately go to such a good cause and would probably leave more as a donation just because.......

Now if you were talking about a for profit paperback exchange, $3.00 I agree would be expensive.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: SXM Animal Welfare Foundation Used Book Donation - 02/13/2020 01:56 AM

Really. 3 bucks and a donation too. Cheap.

Re: SXM Animal Welfare Foundation Used Book Donation - 02/13/2020 02:16 AM

Maybe it's unusual where I am, but I regularly go to a place here in town where paperbacks are $.50 and hard backs are $1.00, and on Wednesdays, everything is half price. And at places like Ollies', brand new paperbacks are routinely around $3, hardbacks, around $10..

I agree it's a good cause, but just stating what I can get here..

Re: SXM Animal Welfare Foundation Used Book Donation - 02/13/2020 02:38 AM

I don’t think you quite get it. These books are being sold as a donation to an animal welfare organization. Donation is the key word here!!! Note comments by SXMScubaman and Pat.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: SXM Animal Welfare Foundation Used Book Donation - 02/13/2020 03:31 AM

👍

Re: SXM Animal Welfare Foundation Used Book Donation - 02/13/2020 02:16 PM

gracie--I do get it, just saying I think the model is a little flawed.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline