TravelTalkOnline

Yacht Question

Posted By: SandS

Yacht Question - 02/17/2020 04:26 PM

After watching the yachts parked in front of us at SBR the past two weeks I have a question. Do they have to pay a fee to the government to anchor? I don’t know anything about the boating world.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Yacht Question - 02/17/2020 05:57 PM

Yes they do have to pay.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Yacht Question - 02/17/2020 06:32 PM

Huh. Interesting. I knew that they have to pay in order to go through the bridge, or to dock. Didn't realize they had to pay to use their own anchor at sea. Are you sure about that, Lesley?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Yacht Question - 02/17/2020 06:53 PM

I've heard of mooring fees if using a mooring buoy but not at anchor. When we sailed the BVI's that was the case. Some smaller boats have their own mooring buoys they installed themselves in Simpson Bay.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Yacht Question - 02/17/2020 07:00 PM

That's kind of what I thought.
Posted By: sailbynight

Re: Yacht Question - 02/24/2020 05:46 AM

All visiting yachts pay a cruising fee to enter the waters. On some islands, there is also a National Park fee to anchor in those areas marked as such.

No free lunch or anchorage.

Yachts pay to enter and anchor in the lagoon as well
Posted By: IslandBoi

Re: Yacht Question - 02/24/2020 04:20 PM

how far out do an island’s (country’s) waters extend?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Yacht Question - 02/24/2020 04:30 PM

Not sure how far but the nature foundation Marine park extends pretty far and covers a large area.
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: Yacht Question - 02/24/2020 07:48 PM

12 nautical miles according to the UN.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Yacht Question - 02/25/2020 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Huh. Interesting. I knew that they have to pay in order to go through the bridge, or to dock. Didn't realize they had to pay to use their own anchor at sea. Are you sure about that, Lesley?

Yep. They have to pay clearance, harbor, and bridge fee if applicable. At the police station by the bridge.

http://www.portstmaarten.com/index.php?id=20

http://yachtingstmaarten.com/clearing-0
Posted By: Ritchard

Re: Yacht Question - 02/27/2020 03:41 PM

I live here on a boat and pay no fees to anchor anywhere. The only fees are for entering the lagoon by the Simpson Bay bridge - though there are rumored fees to anchor on the dutch side of the lagoon, I have never heard anyone paying such.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline