TravelTalkOnline

The Perch

Posted By: DAS

The Perch - 02/24/2020 12:04 PM

From the Club Orient (CO) beach...My wife asked the other day, "Does the Perch have running water? If not, how do they wash their hands after using the restroom facility?" Does anyone have an answer?

By the way, the one restroom facility at the CO beach is in very poor condition, irregardless of whether its door closes or not. Given that hundreds of people have been on the CO beach the past several days, it would seem that an upgrade to this facility, and at least one more of them, would be helpful.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: The Perch - 02/24/2020 03:32 PM

There are a couple of different ways to wash your hands there. The first one is having a small bottle of hand sanitizer with you (my wife always has one without fail) and using that. But, if running water is essential then I would suggest putting the swimsuit back on and taking a walk over to Kontiki (which is sort of close by). They have restrooms with running water, as does the Bikini Beach Bar. As a thank you, I usually buy a beer or a mixed drink at the bar to give them some business. Of course, there's always taking a dip and washing your hands in the salt water of the ocean. These beat going back to your condo or hotel room and washing up (which I suppose is a fourth alternative).
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: The Perch - 02/24/2020 03:51 PM

I'm thinking the OP is referring to the people running the Perch and how they keep sanitized doing food prep.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: The Perch - 02/24/2020 07:35 PM

Oh ... yes, I see your point. That is a very good question. Maybe on our next visit (soon) we'll leave behind a small bottle of hand sanitizer for the staff just in case.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: The Perch - 02/24/2020 07:54 PM

Perch lite is very aware of the no water/ electric and with all plastic cups and plates/ packaged utensils it cuts down on worries about illness. Glassware is the worst when it comes to illness. Ice I think is bought daily and the generator keeps the food refrigerated. If that is not to your standards go somewhere else.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: The Perch - 02/24/2020 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by sxmmartini
Perch lite is very aware of the no water/ electric and with all plastic cups and plates/ packaged utensils it cuts down on worries about illness. Glassware is the worst when it comes to illness. Ice I think is bought daily and the generator keeps the food refrigerated. If that is not to your standards go somewhere else.

Sorry, but that is rather harsh and it was a legitimate concern/question.

How exactly does a generator keep the food refrigerated? Is there an actual refrigerator or freezer there that the generator runs? A generator produces electricity, it has no cooling properties.
Posted By: DAS

Re: The Perch - 02/24/2020 08:17 PM

My original question referred to hygiene (i.e. how do Perch staff wash their hands). In the USA, restaurant staff, I believe, our required to wash their hands after using a restroom. As an example - http://www.restaurantqrcodes.net/handwashing-requirements.html

If hands are not washed, it increases the possibility of infections and food poisoning.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: The Perch - 02/24/2020 08:39 PM

I agree that it can, and should be, a concern, although I'm sure this is not the only place on island that serves food, that does not have running water.

Re: The Perch - 02/24/2020 08:47 PM

Rosie's comes to mind and probably anything on Cupecoy.

Re: The Perch - 02/24/2020 09:30 PM

Hate to see all that plastic being used with the island's history of refuse disposal. They should care more.

Re: The Perch - 02/24/2020 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Hate to see all that plastic being used with the island's history of refuse disposal. They should care more.

Paper or plastic? Not much other choice if there is no way of washing anything.

Re: The Perch - 02/24/2020 09:54 PM

That is what I'm getting at. Paper or plastic has to be disposed of some how and not many options on St Maarten.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: The Perch - 02/24/2020 10:25 PM

eeee-uuu! Never considered this. But then again we have not yet eaten at any place on Orient except LaPlaya. Hope to try Le Telegraphie upcoming visit. Do they have running water?

Re: The Perch - 02/24/2020 10:27 PM

Le Telegraphe? Yes, it is a regular restaurant, on par with the other restaurants there in the Village, or better.

Re: The Perch - 02/24/2020 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Le Telegraphe? Yes, it is a regular restaurant, on par with the other restaurants there in the Village, or better.

Thanks Carol.
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: The Perch - 02/24/2020 10:53 PM

I do remember a video shot at the Perch about a year or so ago, of them testing out some alternative forks, straws, boxes etc. There were a couple of reps from the product company there, and i believe it was made from bamboo. I would imagine it was an expensive option.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: The Perch - 02/25/2020 09:20 AM

Simple, Rent a lil cooler from Craig from "Pack light" and bring your own lunch!! We always bring a big zippy bag of wipes where ever we go on the island.

Re: The Perch - 02/25/2020 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Colour1
Simple, Rent a lil cooler from Craig from "Pack light" and bring your own lunch!! We always bring a big zippy bag of wipes where ever we go on the island.

That's very smart. We still have a small cooler lunch bag that we had gotten gotten at a place near Rainbow. Now gone. Can't remember name but it was attractive. Several buildings and they had a small eating place and you could order lunch to go and it came in that cooler.

Re: The Perch - 02/25/2020 01:50 PM

We always take a cooler to both Orient and Mullet, for drinks, if nothing else. Usually I take some cheese and grapes, etc. along also. ...but we also eat at the Perch and Rosie's, usually splitting a meal..
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline