TravelTalkOnline

Indigo beach bar

Posted By: KitKat

Indigo beach bar - 02/26/2020 09:30 PM

We had lunch at a fairly new beach bar yesterday, called Indigo Bay Beach Bar and Restaurant. It is a very elegant French bar on what is known as Cay Bay, and now often called Indigo Bay. Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo. But the food and service is exceptional, and the view is delightful. Just thought I would mention this place, as I have not seen anyone else mention it.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/26/2020 09:31 PM

It's actually not fairly new, been around for a couple of years. I think many people, like me, are not going to travel down that road to get there, thus have not tried it. Glad that you enjoyed it though.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/26/2020 09:52 PM

Do they offer free loungers if you purchase food or drink there like some places do?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/26/2020 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Do they offer free loungers if you purchase food or drink there like some places do?

FACEBOOK PAGE
Message them and see what you can find out.
Posted By: bran

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/26/2020 10:03 PM

Now this looks interesting. Where about's is it?

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/26/2020 10:06 PM

Carol, whats wrong with the road?

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/26/2020 10:09 PM

I am terrified of heights. The road goes around on the side of the mountain down to the beach, with a huge drop-off on the side. To get there, go up over the mountain toward P'burg and basically right at the roundabout on the hill, take off toward the right and meander on down the mountain side to the water. NOT for me!

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/26/2020 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by bran
Now this looks interesting. Where about's is it?

Attached picture 2020-02-26 (1).png

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/26/2020 10:19 PM

Not any scarier than the road to Anse Marcel.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/26/2020 10:32 PM

We did not ask about lounges and umbrellas, so can't answer that question. As far as the directions, Carol had it right. And yes part of the road down is paved. Then it does get rough for the last section. But it is worth it. There are a bunch of new condos already built and being built on the two hills on either side of the bay. Look the restaurant up in the internet.
Posted By: kim

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/26/2020 10:39 PM

Can you still get there by taking the “low road”. It used to be a right coming from Simpson Bay, before the daily grocery store. Kind of where it becomes a one lane road heading to town.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/26/2020 10:48 PM

Looks like a hidden secret to me.........wonder why nobody(well not for a while) has mentioned this place. All the reviews look good as well. Bit of France in Holland. Thx to the OP for bringing it to my attention. Will be visiting this place for sure.....provided the traffic is not crazy. Promised myself not to sit in traffic again for longer than 15 minutes.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/26/2020 10:49 PM

https://www.st-maarten.com/index.ph...urce=tripadvisor&utm_medium=referral

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/26/2020 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by kim
Can you still get there by taking the “low road”. It used to be a right coming from Simpson Bay, before the daily grocery store. Kind of where it becomes a one lane road heading to town.

Looks like you can take the Cay Hill Rd off of Welfare Rd before the Daily Extra and avoid a lot of the hill.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/26/2020 11:16 PM

I have mentioned it in my trip reports and think it's a lovely place. Friendly people, good food. Not sure I would go in the water, but it's pretty to look at.

And Carol, the road to the restaurant is not scary at all. There are NO drop-offs on the road to the beach bar. As already stated, if you can travel on the Anse Marcel Road, you can definitely do this.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/26/2020 11:22 PM

Understand your fear of heights Carol but not for me in a car for some reason, in fact I love it. Sure many of you here have been to St. Thomas, now that had some scary drives. However, I only realized at a later age that I suffered from Vertigo. I cannot look down over a balcony if its way up there, say a 30 plus story building..want to throw myself off and feel ill as I try to peer over.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/26/2020 11:43 PM

Not any scarier than the road to Anse Marcel.

mmmmm I think a bit scarier than because of he steep drop-off. There are also some condos in that area.

Wasn't this place there under another name? Can' remember name but it didn't get great reviews. If it has sold then worth a try based upon kitkat's report.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 12:08 AM

Looks like chairs are free if you eat or drink there or $10 each if not.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 12:29 AM

Scubaman--have you been there? I haven't, but looking at it from the main road, the road to Indigo looks like it involves a HUGE drop-off by the side of the road, for virtually the whole drive. The road to Anse Marcel goes up and down and around, certainly, but does not involve a huge drop-off by the side of the road for almost the whole drive.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 12:39 AM

I was going to mention the fact that you had been there and mentioned it. Wasn't it named something else prior and it didn't fare too well due to prices?

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 12:54 AM

Yes. It was very expensive. I can't recall the name but I'll probably wake up in the middle,of the night and it will flash on me.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 12:55 AM

No I have not but am going to try it out this May.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 01:27 AM

Yes. It was very expensive. I can't recall the name but I'll probably wake up in the middle,of the night and it will flash on me.

It was called Kokomo. We went there once, but never got the chance to see how expensive it was, as the staff was incredibly rude. I don't spend time, or money, where I'm not welcome. We haven't been back since they changed ownership, as we don't really love that beach area.
Posted By: pat

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 01:35 AM

Island friends had the same experience there, Georgia, and they left for a location more amenable to their patronage. I will never get the rudeness thing and certainly not when you’re attempting to promote a business to new potential clientele. But I guess that’s why it’s no longer called Kokomo and is under different management now.
Posted By: dmwieser

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 05:20 AM

Was just there last week. Not my preferred area of the island but I think the beach/restaurant are superb- people, food and beach! great alternative if you can’t make it to Friers, Orient or Anse Marcel. The drive down is no different than Anse Marcel and you feel like you are removed from the rest of the island - especially with all that horrible tourist traffic just above you between Simpson bay and Philipsburg! Truly a best kept secret.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 07:09 AM

Yes, it used to be Kokomo. But it has changed hands, and the new management is great IMHO. Much better pricing and very nice service.

I still maintain there is NO drop-off to get to the beach bar; there is landscaping on either side of the road/street.. There may be drop-offs on roads on each side on the hills where the condos are, but no drop-off getting to Indigo Beach Bar, or whatever its correct name is. To each her own.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 11:21 AM

I may have to check it out soon. Is the beach decent there or is it pretty rocky?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 11:23 AM

Agree with Linda, there is no drop off on the road to the beach bar.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
I may have to check it out soon. Is the beach decent there or is it pretty rocky?

When we were there the beach was very rocky, but I read that the new owners were bringing in sand to improve that. Don't know if that was actually done or not.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 12:43 PM

It's a man made beach. They are always bringing in sand because mother nature doesn't want it there!

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 12:43 PM

Thanks. The problem with bringing in sand (as they did in front of Royal Palm) is it is usually not the greatest sand and it doesn't always stay in place.

From what I recall, Kokomo did not get many positive reviews at all.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 12:45 PM

Had a terrible experience at Kokomo. The new Indigo Bay was wonderful!

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 01:15 PM

It is a little pricey, kind of like Layla's used to be. But again, worth it. We are not beach people, just love eating by one! And no, there is no drop off near any of the roads to Indigo. And thstaff are very nice and efficient.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
Had a terrible experience at Kokomo. The new Indigo Bay was wonderful!

Glad to hear that Elaine! How is the beach there? As you know, we like to spend the day on the beach and enjoy a nice lunch there as well. Not sure I'd go there just for food, unless it wasn't a good beach day.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 01:22 PM

Sorry, didn't go to the beach, just a nice ladies lunch.
Posted By: bonsie

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 02:21 PM

Sorry to change to another beach bar, but, would anyone know if Dreams will be making a comeback or if its a thing of the past.
Coming back in May for three weeks and would like to visit it again.
Thx, Bob

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 02:22 PM

Dreams is gone, per Bruno. Luftman refused to renew his lease after Irma.
Posted By: bonsie

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 02:27 PM

Thank you carol
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by kim

You mean right in Cole Bay? Goes past the stables correct? Yes...take a right at Cay Bay Road then stay left at the fork. Stay right at the next fork and it becomes Indigo Bay Blvd...you avoid that terrifying height Carol....lol

I went when it was Kokomo and vowed to never return. May attempt to try Indigo.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 03:26 PM

We really did enjoy our lunch here. Beautiful spot, excellent service and we all really enjoyed our food. A lovely afternoon!

Hope we can do it again when a certain friend flies in from the Pacific Northwest!

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 03:30 PM

Huh. That sounds like an option. May try it next time.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
We really did enjoy our lunch here. Beautiful spot, excellent service and we all really enjoyed our food. A lovely afternoon!

Hope we can do it again when a certain friend flies in from the Pacific Northwest!

blush I am game!

And to the others who asked about chairs, I did use a lounge chair on the beach last summer. Didn't last long, however, as it started to rain. I say give it a try as people's tastes are so different. It is rocky in some areas, but there is also sand to be had. I don't recall having to pay extra for the chairs. I may have some pictures of the beach which I will try to find.

It's worth a visit just for the food and view IMO.

Attached picture DSC01310.JPG
Attached picture DSC01313.JPG
Attached picture 20191117_132656.jpg

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 07:26 PM

From these pictures and one's I've see of others it does look to be rocky with the sand coming and going. I did communicate with Indigo via Whatsapp and as I posted earlier chairs are free if you purchase drinks or food or $10.00 each if not. It's definitely on our to do list.
Posted By: fabila

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 08:46 PM

Carol, I’m petrified of heights. As Linda says, not scary at all. The road is paved and then it isn’t. Their parking lot was not paved, lots of rocks so we had to take it easy especially since our rental was low to the ground.

David and I checked it out in November. We walked around the restaurant and beach area but didn’t stay.

No reason we didn’t stay, other than we were scouting it out for another day’s lunch that never happened. Was looking at it for a lunch with the "girls" without having to drive over to the French side when the "guys" do the Rhino Riders.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 08:54 PM

Louise--it sure looks scary from the other road.. We'll see..
Posted By: Doc Bill

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/27/2020 09:37 PM

Restaurant is very good, service excellent, beach not so great. Road to restaurant is non issue. Ate there yesterday.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/28/2020 03:43 AM

I see that many people have mentioned how "it's not the best beach" and is rocky. I always felt that way about Dreams, as the beach there was ick....and Friar's Bay as well. Those beaches aren't nice at all. But if there is a good restaurant on site, it makes a beach tolerable. Just don't want to spend a long beach day there.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/28/2020 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten
I see that many people have mentioned how "it's not the best beach" and is rocky. I always felt that way about Dreams, as the beach there was ick....and Friar's Bay as well. Those beaches aren't nice at all. But if there is a good restaurant on site, it makes a beach tolerable. Just don't want to spend a long beach day there.

Exactly my thoughts too.

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/28/2020 07:25 AM

I agree with you.
Posted By: Ackman

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/28/2020 01:15 PM

We have been there twice now and went twice when it was Kokomo and every time we have gone it has been excellent. They also do dinner there I think Wed thru Sat and it was great, give it a try you won’t be unhappy. The road in is very easy too

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/28/2020 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten

The difference between the beaches at Dreams and Friars, and the one at Indigo, is that the first two are at least walkable. I like to stroll along the beach in between relaxing in my chair. The beach at Kokomo (Indigo) was too small and rocky to do that the one day we were there. We didn't stay more than five minutes though, so that may change from time to time. The rocks at Friars come and go, and there's usually an area where you can get in and out of the water without encountering them.
Posted By: Cincinnati_Kid

Re: Indigo beach bar - 02/28/2020 07:34 PM

Hi ! I scouted it out two occasions last year and it seemed to be closed each time.
I got confused on the way out, as the exit pattern was confusing to me...
But figured it out in a couple...
I had stopped on my way back to Divi Little Bay...
Don
Posted By: indi

Re: Indigo beach bar - 03/01/2020 07:57 PM

Had a wonderful late lunch here toward the end of our trip last November. Very pretty views. Beach is not the highlight, very limited and rocky, but saw several people using it.
Want to try dinner there next trip!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline