TravelTalkOnline

Flight options out of sxm?

Posted By: KGB

Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 12:35 PM

Just wanted to start this thread so people can share the info.
What are the options of flying out of sxm after March 17 to Canada and US? What routes to take?
Posted By: ChiTownHarry

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 12:39 PM

We are on an AA flight leaving 1 April to CLT. Our friend is booked on AA the same day to Philly. Just logged onto AA's site and it is not cancelled.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 12:53 PM

I would be concerned at this point but I hope I am wrong.

Only viable option I found was United on March 18 that I was comfortable with.

There was an option the other day that routed me from SXM to Curaçao to Aruba and back to the states but that was too many layers and chances of more problems IMHO.

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 01:03 PM

Our flight is scheduled for tomorrow to Toronto with WestJet. There is no cancellations as of yet... We are just sitting and waiting...

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 01:08 PM

I am trying to personally verify but I have read elsewhere that AA service to the Caribbean will NOT resume until early May.

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 01:11 PM

From AA's site. Same notation for MIA and PHL with regard to SXM:

CLT Saint Maarten (SXM) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6

LINK
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 01:18 PM

Wow, ok. Did the PM change the dates when they won't accept US pax? as May 6 is quite a bit after two weeks..

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 01:19 PM

Try to get to St. Thomas.

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Wow, ok. Did the PM change the dates when they won't accept US pax? as May 6 is quite a bit after two weeks..

Not that I am aware of but I have not looked at the local paper today and we did not have a notice in the room. This appears to be AA's decision. No idea what it is based on.
Posted By: pat

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 01:21 PM

The following is not a criticism of ANY travel forum but...........

I just deleted my previous post because I thought I had the dates wrong, so thank you, ruralcarrier for correcting my misinformation regarding dates.

I would strongly suggest to all who are concerned about trips and flight status at this time, do NOT take anything from a travel site as gospel. We all post with the best of intentions but in this very fluid situation changes are occurring by the minute. What was correct at 9:00 could very well be old news at 10:00. Even the airlines themselves don’t know what’s happening from minute to minute..

As a very famous man once said, ‘Trust but verify!”

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 01:32 PM

Thanks pat. I was hesitant to post anything even though I had read various dates on multiple other sites. I want to be as accurate as possible and it took some digging to find it on AA, but I did. Hence, the link. This could all change at anytime.

I think some of the confusion is what the local SXM government announced as dates and what AA has announced. Either way it is a mess and a lot of misinformation and speculation.

I am not a novice traveler to SXM and I am usually good at dealing with most problems but when it comes to another country and the airlines, ALL bets are off. This has been an extremely stressful situation and my personal situation may still not be resolved. As I work on it, I also am trying to help others who may be experiencing the same or similar problems.

I am not going to pass off "hearsay" and I have heard a LOT of it here on the island and read it on various sites. I will try to provide pertinent information as I find it and I can verify it to the extent I feel comfortable.

Thanks.
Posted By: ChiTownHarry

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 02:25 PM

JD. As far as I can see from the link you provided, there are no cancelations on flights FROM the island.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
From AA's site. Same notation for MIA and PHL with regard to SXM:

CLT Saint Maarten (SXM) Will fly all legs as scheduled through end of day on March 16; suspended through May 6

LINK

Correct. Luckily we fly in to SXM from CLT on May 8 but that could all change too.
Posted By: tbaybob

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 02:52 PM

We are currently scheduled on Westjet for April 2nd and everything shows ok.A lot can happen and lots of misinformation is floating out there.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 02:59 PM

Try Liat to surrounding islands not locking down yet. Larger carriers may still be flying out of Antigua.

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 03:03 PM

Or St. Thomas, as I said!!! Or San Juan.

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 03:04 PM

NO Puerto Rico bad idea....

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 03:06 PM

Why? It's US territory.

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by ChiTownHarry
JD. As far as I can see from the link you provided, there are no cancelations on flights FROM the island.

If flights coming in are canceled, how will outbound flights happen? With all the cancellations of outbound flights it should be pretty obvious they are not going to fly empty planes in here.

There is a lot of reading in the link but here is the basics and applies to MIA, CLT and PHL.

Posted By: irina

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 03:14 PM

PR no good. My friend left on last plane last night back to US. I think today is the final outbound.
Cheers, not.
Kim ok?
irina

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 03:17 PM

OK.
Posted By: bran

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 03:18 PM

So to be ultra clear. Mia Clt and PHL. After March 16th and up to May 6th, all flights in and out to SXM are suspended. Is this how I read it and as stated on AA site? I ask as just now AA sits down. Thx.

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 03:26 PM

I would read it that way. That is why I provided the link and their exact verbiage.
Posted By: bran

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 03:40 PM

Rural wishing you well and safe journey getting back and to all those in the same boat..

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 03:44 PM

Thanks, much appreciated.
Posted By: M&L

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 03:45 PM

I agree, from the link provided, there are no cancelations on flights FROM the island.

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by M&L
I agree, from the link provided, there are no cancelations on flights FROM the island.

ok, but where do you think the plane going back to the US is going to appear from? The flights down here basically ALL turnarounds within a couple of hours. People come in and people go out. Pretty simple concept. Unless they can come close to filling a plane with locals or other island residents coming to SXM, there would be no reason to fly down here. Therefor, very unlikely there will be flights of any regularity going back to the US. With all the cancellations this week, it is obvious there is not going to be regular service for some time.

If you feel differently, I would call AA and get clarification. Good luck!

And with that, I give up on this topic.
Posted By: WLE

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 04:41 PM

Good advise, Thank you !

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 04:45 PM

AA website shows both the flight FROM Miami to SXM and the return on time for tomorrow. Probably not happening, I guess...

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 04:51 PM

Possibly as tomorrow I think is the last day the SXM government is allowing arrivals with US citizens so it may still be happening and to get passengers back. Many will still be stranded here though. I can not say for sure but that would be my understanding.
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 04:58 PM

There was a voicemail on our phone at Simpson Bay Resort this morning asking everyone who has reservations with AA to come to the Member Services center with all thier information. Sounds like they are trying to organize something.

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 05:07 PM

Good luck.

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 05:21 PM

JD--what have you heard from the Atrium?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 05:25 PM

AA has landed two planes and another later today. Not sure if 3 on a Monday is normal. CLT PHL MIA

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 05:26 PM

A letter that stated what the PM said and then yesterday afternoon there was another letter wanting to know hour room #, names of occupants and outbound flight information. They were adamant about getting it by 7:00pm and kind of snapped at someone who they thought had not turned it in. My information has since changed, I think.

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 05:30 PM

Friends are in SXM and their two week vacation might be 7 weeks and they are thrilled to be stuck in SXM as long as the island does not run out of Heineken.
Posted By: pat

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 05:42 PM

sxmmartini,

Unfortunately, not everyone has unlimited resources and with the market doing what it's doing, even some of who do have the resources to do so don't want to spend them on unplanned vacation time in SXM beyond what was already budgeted for, not to mention personal commitments and responsibilities at home that need to be taken care of.

I know we all need levity to get through this mess, but at the same time, we need to remember that everyone is dealing with different realities, and many who aren't currently there are equally upset because many of their vacations have just gone down the tubes.

Peace, Peeps.

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 05:46 PM

Pat dear I never kept my words soft and sweet, but I will eat them this time. It has been very emotional and I am upset. I offered a wonderful family to stay in my villa. Peace!
Posted By: WCHam

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 06:18 PM

KGB. Tell us if you can confirm your flight. Should be 24 hours soon. We are interested because we are booked for Thursday.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by M&L

Correct...and:

ok, but where do you think the plane going back to the US is going to appear from?

No need to cancel flights from the Island if none are allowed to arrive

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by WCHam
KGB. Tell us if you can confirm your flight. Should be 24 hours soon. We are interested because we are booked for Thursday.

I will in about 10 minutes!
But on the other note, all our friends at home back in Edmonton are telling us to stay here, lol! Apparently, it’s a real shitshow! Grocery stores are running out of food and other stuff, shelves are pretty much empty and Cabela’s had their biggest day ever selling guns and ammo!

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 07:07 PM

I find it very concerning and maybe it's just me that people resort to "guns and ammo" because of a virus pandemic. Definitely not just Canada. SW Florida gun store reported 200,000 rounds of ammo sold last week.

Some get toilet paper...some get ammo..or the same people get both

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 07:17 PM

Ok we were able to check in on a westjet for tomorrow! A few seats were available to choose from. Woohoo! Wish us luck tomorrow to board the plain!

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by boucharda
I find it very concerning and maybe it's just me that people resort to "guns and ammo" because of a virus pandemic. Definitely not just Canada. SW Florida gun store reported 200,000 rounds of ammo sold last week.

Some get toilet paper...some get ammo..or the same people get both

There is nothing wrong in buying ammo. In case of food shortage- we can always resort to hunting. Nobody knows how long this shitshow gonna last...

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 07:21 PM

Come on people, there will be NO food shortages. Why should there be?

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 07:34 PM

A friend in OH indicated store shelves empty of almost everything, including cat litter. Produce and meat along with beer seem to be the hot items now. And a gun manufacturer's stock soared the other day when the overall market was getting hammered, again. Not saying any of this is right or sensible but it is what is happening.

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 07:46 PM

Come to Cape Coral, FL.... Stores (Publix) are restocked daily and there is actually TP available (no Purell though) ..food is NOT an issue. Markets are open....no ammo for "hunting" is needed.

Ammo? Really?

This is not Armageddon....it is a virus that can be stopped with "social distancing" and some brains. Supply chains are NOT broken but being overwhelmed by...well...I will stop there

I saw people actually returning TP at a Publix yesterday because they overreacted .....

I will admit some stores have a weak restock chain but that is their issue ..not a national crisis in need of ammo

I should add....I have 2 shotguns, a 30-30 Marlin and 2 handguns so I am NOT anti gun....just anti DUH!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 08:18 PM

I believe the mind set is that some people are afraid this situation is going to turn into the need to protect their own property from riots and pilferage from people out of work and in need. Media is doing their best to stem this along. I too am a gun owner both for hunting and protection.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 08:31 PM

Really? Are rioters going to come to our homes in need to critical toilet paper supplies? Can't shoot a virus, but maybe someone should have taken out that pangolin who started this whole corona virus thing.

Re: Flight options out of sxm? - 03/16/2020 08:35 PM

Done.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline