TravelTalkOnline

Travel restrictions ?

Posted By: Jeff_C

Travel restrictions ? - 03/22/2020 09:40 PM

Hello All,
Has any one heard if SXM has extended it's travel restrictions ( flights to SXM ) . Or is the date for now , still March 31 . As of now United , out of EWR has not cancelled us for April 17th. But I am 99.9 % that our trip is not going to happen .
Thank you Jeff_C
Posted By: MT13

Re: Travel restrictions ? - 03/22/2020 09:57 PM

AA just canceled our flight for April 1
Posted By: SXMWendell

Re: Travel restrictions ? - 03/22/2020 10:01 PM

Maybe it's just me BUT I wouldn't want to travel outside the US till maybe this virus is figured how bad?, time to cure/pass? and give some extra tome to be sure it has passed.

Wendell
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Travel restrictions ? - 03/22/2020 10:07 PM

No one can fly in for two weeks (at least). Borders closed.

Re: Travel restrictions ? - 03/22/2020 10:40 PM

Hello All Again ,
None of the responses did not answer my question . Does any one know if SXM still has March 31 as the end date of travel restrictions . Or has any one heard if they ( SXM ) has extended the travel restrictions to a further date .
Thank you . Jeff_C
Posted By: SXMWendell

Re: Travel restrictions ? - 03/22/2020 10:44 PM

Ok, maybe not a direct answer. But would you really really really want to travel to SXM in this viral l time frame? If you do. I think no one can really help you.

Wendell
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Travel restrictions ? - 03/22/2020 10:47 PM

Jeff--there has been no official word, but I can't really imagine that the airlines will be flying to SXM in April. And at this point, why would you WANT to go at now?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Travel restrictions ? - 03/22/2020 11:04 PM

Below is a link for the Government of St. Maarten contact information. They are the only ones who might have a definitive answer at this point and you seem unsatisfied with anything other than a direct and exact answer.

SXM Government Contact

Re: Travel restrictions ? - 03/22/2020 11:59 PM

Hello Carol ,
Thank you for being the one to answer my question. The reason that I ask ( not that I should have to explain myself ) . If United Airlines would fly and I cancel we will lose our money . ( Basic Economy ) . I would prefer to have them cancel
and to get a refund . We do not want to get a credit and fly at a different date . So thank you for answering to the best of your knowledge .
On an other topic......... I have been a member on this site since you started it ( I also follow you and left the old Traveltalk site. Because of not having a moderator. ) But this is why I do not or have not posted much . If people would just answer your question that you post. And stop giving you their two cents about what they think you should do . But I do enjoy coming on this site to see what is going on at my wife and my favorite Island .
Respectfully Jeff_C
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Travel restrictions ? - 03/23/2020 12:49 AM

Jeff--at this point, if you don't want to travel, I would definitely wait to see if the airline cancels your flight. If they cancel, they have to give you your money back.

Re: Travel restrictions ? - 03/23/2020 10:00 AM

If they cancel, they have to give you your money back.

I hope that to be correct but as of now Delta has deposited my ticket, the one they cancelled into an e ticket account. I plan on calling them once things settle down some. I really want it credited back to my cc to help offset the other ticket(s) i had to purchase to get home.

Tough to give a straight and direct answer when things are rapidly changing and the SXM government is calling the shots as to when the island may open back up.

The airlines are also changing policies and what is in effect today may be different later today.
Posted By: Hdrdr911

Re: Travel restrictions ? - 03/23/2020 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff_C
Hello Carol ,
Thank you for being the one to answer my question. The reason that I ask ( not that I should have to explain myself ) . If United Airlines would fly and I cancel we will lose our money . ( Basic Economy ) . I would prefer to have them cancel
and to get a refund . We do not want to get a credit and fly at a different date . So thank you for answering to the best of your knowledge .
On an other topic......... I have been a member on this site since you started it ( I also follow you and left the old Traveltalk site. Because of not having a moderator. ) But this is why I do not or have not posted much . If people would just answer your question that you post. And stop giving you their two cents about what they think you should do . But I do enjoy coming on this site to see what is going on at my wife and my favorite Island .
Respectfully Jeff_C

As you say, Respectfully , This is a web board and when you post a question asking about official information you are going to get a variety of responses. That's the nature of the beast and if you look carefully at Carols answer she gave you both an answer and an opinion. The free exchange of information and ideas is what makes web boards like this one useful and unreliable all at the same time. Want the most accurate reliable information, go to the source, your carrier. I'm sure no one on this board wondered why you were asking the question, a great many of us are seasoned travelers. I wouldn't count on going to St Martin or any other foreign country anytime soon. They don't need or want us there now. It sucks but it is reality for the foreseeable future. Stay safe.

Re: Travel restrictions ? - 03/23/2020 12:06 PM

And even the carriers may not have up to date or accurate information, trust me, I know firsthand.
Posted By: o2bnsxm

Re: Travel restrictions ? - 03/23/2020 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff_C
Hello All Again ,
None of the responses did not answer my question . Does any one know if SXM still has March 31 as the end date of travel restrictions . Or has any one heard if they ( SXM ) has extended the travel restrictions to a further date .
Thank you . Jeff_C

BillandElaine answered your question for the most part in reply #3. "No one can fly in for at least two weeks". That was posted yesterday, so two weeks would make it until at least April 5th which is past your questioned date of March 31st.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline