TravelTalkOnline

Total Shutdown in the plans

Posted By: BillandElaine

Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/03/2020 07:13 PM

Covid-19 Update - St. Maarten

A total shutdown of the Dutch side is in the planning by government due to residents not adhering to the current movement restrictions.

The national decree for the shutdown has been prepared by government and is with the Governor for signature. The exact date of the shutdown will be determined by the Prime Minister.

Government has also established a mandatory quarantine/isolation location to stem the spread of the virus.The legal regulations to put people in mandatory quarantine/isolation has been prepared to make this possible.

(Source: Govt. of St. Maarten)
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/03/2020 07:21 PM

At first I thought this might come from an alarmist like myself, but you are not an alarmist.

Wise move.

As I often here about weaknesses on the island as a visitor I have been most impressed by the locals and this might be a wise move as most of the GDP is halted, now keep folks safe.

Has to be hard with such a beautiful lure to drive the island and see the sights and beaches.

Hope you got enough stuff. Stay safe, stay home. Wash your hands.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/03/2020 07:44 PM

This will cause a total disaster

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/03/2020 07:55 PM

Not if everyone keeps a cool head, wishful thinking. In any case, it will save lives. We have been warned, and too many were risking everyone's lives.

Glad Bill shopped two days ago.

Lesley and family, stay safe, be well.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/03/2020 07:55 PM

Good luck to all of you.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/03/2020 08:12 PM

Glad they are planning to take these actions. Some people are just to selfish to comply.

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/03/2020 08:28 PM

Thanks and it's just me and my Wife here . A lot of people would be starving .

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/03/2020 08:31 PM

I'm sure they must have some plans for that Lesley. Let's see what they have to say tomorrow. We're in the same boat as you and we were helping to feed two families in need. Won't be able to do that. We also feed and water the "Golf Course" dogs. Breaks my heart.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/03/2020 09:09 PM

Best wishes to everyone there.
Posted By: BlueGreenWater

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/03/2020 09:16 PM

My heart is with all of the residents.

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/03/2020 09:19 PM

Thanks and hoping for the best to come. Prayers !

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/03/2020 10:36 PM

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islan...-dutch-side-total-shutdown-being-planned
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/04/2020 10:24 AM

You seem to be able to put it into perspective with good coping skills. Accepting reality when Plan A doesn't work out and you are able to switch to Plan B. Being flexible is not one of my strong points. Experiences like this teach people how to be flexible and make the best of a bad situation. People can spend this time being angry or searching for inner strength and knowing that it is only temporary and will soon pass. Wishing you all peace and strength in these trying times.
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/04/2020 12:08 PM

Kennys is absolutely correct when he said, "This will cause a total disaster."

We are on our boat on the Dutch Side. Yes, there are many anchored boats on both the French Side and the Dutch Side. Nearly every other island in the Eastern Caribbean is closed for entry, so everyone must remain where they are so we are stuck here.

There was a vessel on the French Side that provided water delivery service to any boat that needed water. The gendarmes forced the man to cease any and all water delivery, as of 4 days ago. Getting water on the French Side is VERY difficult.

The border between both sides of the island is closed. There is water available on the Dutch Side in the Lagoon at IWW for boats but boats on the French Side cannot access the Dutch Side water because of the border closure.

That is only the water problem, not to mention everything else that will happen when the TOTAL 24 hour closure and mandatory curfew go into effect. I only hope the Dutch marines show up sooner, rather than later.

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/04/2020 12:29 PM

They have not closed the borders, yet. But you must have a valid reason for crossing (even for being on the road) and a document. Will probably change with the new updates. We'll see.

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/04/2020 02:55 PM

Are you allowed to dinghy ashore to purchase bottled water?
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/04/2020 03:08 PM

Times like these are why they sell those canned Sardines, smoked oysters and fish steaks.

Some like em year round while other others are like Crocodile Dundee “tastes like shot but you can live on it”.

Intentionally used the word “shot” for the grammar/typo police.
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/04/2020 03:43 PM

The vessels anchored on the French Side can dinghy ashore to purchase bottled water (on the French Side) or from Shrimpy's on the French Side. That is about all that is available to them. They must have the official permit printed out to show the gendarmes it is a necessary trip.

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/04/2020 03:52 PM

WOW. Hope you're doing OK getting water for your self.

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/04/2020 03:55 PM

Same here on Dutch side now. That will probably change this weekend.

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/04/2020 04:54 PM

St. Maarten secured a location for quarantine and isolation of patients that are not respecting the isolation guidelines.
Persons that are a threat to the community will also be moved to this location. The Government has a law in place to ensure and remove persons that are a threat to society. If the need arises they will be removed forcefully.
https://smn-news.com/st-maarten-st-...ed-two-within-one-day.html#disqus_thread

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/04/2020 05:35 PM

Again, please be very careful when posting links to SMN-News.

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/04/2020 08:34 PM

I am having trouble with the daily herald it crashes before I can read it. SMN-News may not be the most reliable source but it is all I've got.

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/04/2020 09:22 PM

Daily Herald does seem to have some capacity problems..

Re: Total Shutdown in the plans - 04/04/2020 09:42 PM

Herald opens for me OK.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline