TravelTalkOnline

Flight on May 16th cancelled.

Posted By: zeus1963

Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/04/2020 03:35 PM

Just happened to notice it yesterday. Guess that makes it official that I will not be able to visit in May. Really missing the island and hoping everyone there is staying safe.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/04/2020 03:38 PM

What airline? Guess I should check mine to see if it has been cancelled.
Posted By: zeus1963

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/04/2020 03:39 PM

Spirit. I had to argue but they refunded my money. Wanted to issue a voucher but I refused.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/04/2020 03:50 PM

I just looked at mine on AA for May 8 and May 28. Still showing as active bookable flights but I know it won't happen.
Posted By: doctorj

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/04/2020 08:40 PM

JB still good on 5/16. Return on 5/26 canceled to FLL as they consolidate lanes.
carib cheers,
doctorj

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/04/2020 09:21 PM

doctorj--I believe PJIA will be closed until approximately June 1, so I doubt your flight will happen.
Posted By: kim

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/04/2020 10:23 PM

I was looking at May. JetBlue is flying Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday’s. In and out of JFK. When I looked yesterday I could fly for 258!! Round trip! Very very tempted!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/04/2020 10:27 PM

That isn't going to happen with PJIA closed till June 2.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/05/2020 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by kim
I was looking at May. JetBlue is flying Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday’s. In and out of JFK. When I looked yesterday I could fly for 258!! Round trip! Very very tempted!

I saw some AA from DCA for $327 in June. They haven't been that price for YEARS!
Posted By: CLIFFTOPS

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/05/2020 11:53 AM

St Maarten and Anguilla are both in process of relief flights to get those out of country who no longer want to be here.
We had 3 flights out from Anguilla yesterday and one today.
To allow people back in either country for the next 60 days would be counterproductive.
It’s a long period between total shutdown and someone being able to enter the country from US.
The flights listed are an attempt by airlines to put a little cash in their system.
No one on either island wants outsiders back in till this virus is under control.
My guess is Aug or Sept.
Pure speculation but always hoping for those who are missing their CARIBBEAN life.

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/05/2020 12:43 PM

Clifftops--you are still on Anguilla then? And interesting, are you saying you think airlines are selling flights that they KNOW will never happen, just to get the cash? Since the DOT has already announced they won't let airlines require only vouchers for flights they cancel, that seems stupid, even for the airlines.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/05/2020 12:45 PM

There won't be any relief flights on SXM for sure.
Posted By: CLIFFTOPS

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/05/2020 12:50 PM

It’s for the cash flow.
Give me your money today and I will give it back to you tomorrow and pay you no interest.
Owned a business for 45 years and believe me cash flow sometimes became more important than profit.
Yes still on Anguilla.

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/05/2020 12:56 PM

Clifftops--seems stupid to me, wouldn't think there would be enough people who would do it, to make any difference. But OK. Best wishes.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/05/2020 01:00 PM

While it doesn't make a lot of sense to me on the surface, think about it. It IS the airlines and what CLIFFTOPS said does make sense with regard to cash flow and there will always be someone out there to take the "dangling carrot" (low fares) in hopes of getting a real bargain. I personally can't imagine that may people biting but who knows for sure?

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/05/2020 01:04 PM

OK, I guess I was thinking in terms of just SXM, but if they are showing really low fares to anywhere, a lot of people will book them and then just accept a voucher.. And THEN they file chapter 11 and they have your money for free for who knows how long? Maybe forever...….
Posted By: SXMWendell

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/05/2020 01:10 PM

At this time I wouldn't even consider buying a plane ticket. F uture is so uncertain that the flight is going to happen. Be like buying a cruise ticket at this time.

Wendell

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/05/2020 01:12 PM

..and, as I said, you're probably buying a claim in a chapter 11...
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/05/2020 01:16 PM

Why would anyone in their right mind get on a plane right now?

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/05/2020 01:21 PM

Yes, it could be quite a "cat and mouse" game. Not one I would be willing to play at this point, even IF there was a decent fare from my area, which would likely never happen.

I just checked the DAY airport for today, already 20 of 36 outbound flights are shown as cancelled and 19 of 36 inbound flights are shown as cancelled. This number will likely increase as the day goes on. Most flights from here go to hub cities, some overnight here and go back to a hub city. Just an example of the impact on air travel as it exists now.

I did a quick check of ATL and while there are not near as many cancelled flights listed for them (way too many to count), there is a substantial number of flights shown as cancelled.

I do not recall where I read it but there was something indicating airlines must continue to fly certain routes to maintain those routes in the future. If I find it, I will post a link.

Re: Flight on May 16th cancelled. - 04/05/2020 01:27 PM

LINK as to WHY AIRLINES CONTINUE FLYING
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline