TravelTalkOnline

Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery/UPDATED

Posted By: ruralcarrier

Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery/UPDATED - 04/12/2020 06:32 PM

GOVERNMENT PRESS RELEASE

Note the sentence below:

Grocery stores, as well as consumers, are also strictly forbidden to sell or purchase alcohol during the remainder of the lockdown. In order to ensure that persons remain in their neighborhoods, there will be heightened police presence at round-a-bouts.

DAILY HERALD ARTICLE
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/12/2020 06:36 PM

Well lucky for us just picked up 5 bottles of Wine , which have be sip at lol.
Posted By: bluejacket

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/12/2020 06:36 PM

Isn't liquor essential?

Yes, ration it Lesley! Hope it lasts until you can purchase again.

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/12/2020 06:38 PM

Yes Bro will do. Thanks.
Posted By: SXMWendell

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/12/2020 06:39 PM

Rationing alcohol will guarantee people breaking curfew. Especially in SXM. And ensure a black market for alcohol.

Wendell

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/12/2020 06:46 PM

Very well could be the case.

Too much tax on it here in the states so they need to keep selling it as other forms of tax revenue are shut off now.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/12/2020 07:24 PM

Black market moon shine will kill more people than starving the people of SXM... This PM is clueless and endangering the people of St. Maarten. I hope her easter dinner with wine is enjoyable! Happy Easter!

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/12/2020 07:43 PM

I bought some and it was pretty good. There was different flavors too.

Wendell
Posted By: Ellen777

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/12/2020 07:47 PM

They shut down the liquor stores in Las Vegas on March 16, have not been able to buy until recently when they allowed a few stores to deliver, but the waiting lists are long, and the minimum sale is $100.00, plus a $10.00 delivery fee. Can still go to the grocery store and buy it, but their choices are limited, and prices a lot higher, plus I do not want to go to the store.
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/12/2020 07:54 PM

Well, yes it is a necessity for the locals! The governor of Colorado tried the same thing, banning all liquor sales and closing ALL marijuana dispensaries. That was a total disaster in Colorado and the people nearly stormed the capital building! The governor immediately backtracked and kept all liquor and marijuana dispensaries OPEN.

I would guess the same thing will happen here on the island once this word gets out, only much more out of control. So sad.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/12/2020 08:30 PM

Yes, I think that is a very unwise move, to not allow alcohol sales.

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/12/2020 08:33 PM

I guess we will see how it plays out or how long it is enforced.

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/12/2020 08:37 PM

There will be a point where alcohol won't be enough. Humans are social creatures. We might test that limit soon, who knows.

Wendell

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/13/2020 09:29 AM

ALCOHOL SALES
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/13/2020 09:44 AM

Prohibition Had the same rationale. Bring on the bootleggers.

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~bernt22l/classweb/Liana/Causes.html
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/13/2020 11:03 AM

Alcoholics are happy when they have a drink in their hand but when the bottle is empty and there is no more is when that alcoholic gets angry!

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/13/2020 12:20 PM

This [censored] will cause another problem the opposite direction.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/13/2020 12:54 PM

Lesley--this surely seems a stupid decision at this time.

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/13/2020 02:41 PM

Yes Dear , but I do have a friend that has a gas station on the French side right next to Super U , hence we will get ours lol, but yes not the right decision at this trying time. I mean at least in the afternoon after doing whatever in the yard or the house , one would need to sit back and relax and have a drink.
Posted By: bonsie

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/13/2020 03:37 PM

Lesley, you are so right. A person going thru withdrawal means big problems. I have nursed family member going thru withdrawal and it's not nice.

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/13/2020 03:56 PM

Sorry to hear this and yes harsh reality to kick in. Hope the she sees the light early enough.
Posted By: bonsie

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/13/2020 06:30 PM

Lesley Thanks for your good wishes. This happen in the past and things worked out fine He is now 5 years dry and doing well but, I will never forget what it took to get him to this point. Prayers to anyone who might fall into that condition.

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/13/2020 06:39 PM

I am going to clarify my post here. For some people for the isolation is hard to handle after a couple of weeks. And having a few drinks can help. But after several more weeks some people need to interact with other people. So they can only be cooped up for so long when they start getting outside the house socializing with other people. which is not a good thing to do at this time.

Wendell

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/13/2020 06:41 PM

Good to hear Bonsie and stay safe . Kind regards.

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/13/2020 07:20 PM

Correct. There was a lot more socializing around here over the weekend than in past weekends and it could have a negative impact. Alcohol or not, most people like and want to interact with others.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/14/2020 10:15 AM

So??? Let me get this straight. Places like Carrefour can't sell alcohol?? What is the reasoning behind this?? As one poster said, this could drive someone to desperate measures!!! Anyone remember "Cabbage patch dolls" ??? When that whole fad hit, stores were hoarding them, selling them out the back door for 10 times the sticker price. You don't think this is going to happen down there??? There were bad fights and shootings over this fad! "My kid has to have it"!! Riot in the streets soon over this!!
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Update from the PM April 11/NO Alcohol Sales/More Food Delivery - 04/14/2020 11:45 AM

I believe it was a belief that being isolated and having alcohol would lead to an increase in domestic abuse....
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline