TravelTalkOnline

Mullet Bay litter

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Mullet Bay litter - 06/10/2020 02:34 PM

https://thedailyherald.sx/islands/beachgoers-leave-behind-massive-amounts-of-litter
Posted By: pat

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/10/2020 02:43 PM

This is inexcusable and so sad to see but unfortunately, it’s nothing new. The major difference, IMO, is that in the past people often blamed it on uncaring vacationers and now, I don’t think they can get away with that anymore.

WAKE UP, St. Martiners - yes, those from both sides of the island - this is YOUR island. Please show some respect and love for it. If you don’t lead by example you have no one to blame but yourselves!!

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/10/2020 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by pat
This is inexcusable and so sad to see but unfortunately, it’s nothing new. The major difference, IMO, is that in the past people often blamed it on uncaring vacationers and now, I don’t think they can get away with that anymore.

WAKE UP, St. Martiners - yes, those from both sides of the island - this is YOUR island. Please show some respect and love for it. If you don’t lead by example you have no one to blame but yourselves!!

So true.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/10/2020 03:10 PM

Dirtiest beach on the island. EVERY weekend, not just this one past. They should be ashamed, and fined.

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/10/2020 03:24 PM

Surprised that the vendors don't police it since they are renting those loungers and selling drinks and food.

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/10/2020 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
Dirtiest beach on the island. EVERY weekend, not just this one past. They should be ashamed, and fined.

And there was a time, once upon a time, when it was the cleanest. Every morning the Mullet Bay Resort beach staff was out there early raking up the occasional fallen sea grape leaf or the chain smokers’ left over cigarette butts and cleaning up anything and everything left behind by the day and night before beach visitors.

Well, except for those long three or four day island holiday weekends but even then, it was the islanders and not the visitors who left their garbage in the brush between the beach and the parking lot.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/10/2020 03:35 PM

Very disgusting and shameful set of people doing this .
Posted By: MamaB

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/10/2020 03:35 PM

Looking at the pictures of the beachgoers last weekend, it was mostly 16- 35 year olds who where there. As I mentioned on another post, I even saw that one of them had driven his Jeep onto the beach. Plus they brought lots and lots of big dogs. I wish I could remember the post so I could share it but for the life of me, I can't find it again.
Posted By: Southshore

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/10/2020 03:46 PM

Very sad to see.

"Only man soils his own nest".
Posted By: BGH

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/10/2020 04:29 PM

Empty trash bins are few and far between . The ones present are usually full to over flowing .
No apparent process to maintain . Still no excuse for beach goers leaving any garbage scattered on the beach and surrounding grounds .
The lack of government oversite is glaring ..
Posted By: mgh

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/10/2020 04:37 PM

sad to see, just total selfishness! People here and around the world for that matter, need to start policing up their own mess. It really irks me that people are that lazy and can't or won't pick up their own trash and walk the short distance and drop it in a trash receptacle.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/10/2020 04:57 PM

Sorry, but if the trashcan is full (or non existent) SO WHAT?!!!! Pack it in, pack it out!

There were pictures of KFC buckets. They BROUGHT it there...they can damn well TAKE IT HOME for disposal.

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/10/2020 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten
Sorry, but if the trashcan is full (or non existent) SO WHAT?!!!! Pack it in, pack it out!

There were pictures of KFC buckets. They BROUGHT it there...they can damn well TAKE IT HOME for disposal.

Right on.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/10/2020 09:46 PM

Yep!
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/10/2020 11:14 PM

We went to Anguilla one time, many years ago, with Junior. To give him a break, we hired a driver with a van and I was appalled at the trash she tossed out the window as we were driving, having "refreshments and snacks".

I usually take a bag with me to Mullet and whatever I take in, it goes in the trash there if available and if not, I take it back to wherever I am staying.

Sadly, a lot of the locally generated beach trash is on the locals themselves.

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/11/2020 12:02 AM

We were there a couple of years ago when a bus full of cruise ship passengers pulled in. The driver served them rum punches in soft plastic cups and they threw them in the sand when they were done. And the really bad part was the driver left the debris there and called his peeps to the bus and left with no regard for cleaning up after his guests.

And the other side of that coin is we’ve been there many times when the big catamaran tours come in full of guests and dinghy their cooler to the beach. The last thing the mate does before he leaves with his cooler is police the beach in the immediate area of the cooler and dinghy and pick up any discarded trash. Much as I don’t always appreciate those larger cats coming in with all those people, I had to respect the fact they were considerate of the other beach patrons in cleaning up after themselves.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/11/2020 12:27 AM

Pat--I have seen that also, with regard to the large cats. And have seen them also offer free drinks to those around them on the beach. While I personally am not that happy with them being there, they generally do seem to be good citizens of the beach.

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/11/2020 01:21 AM

I would have dressed that driver down and not tipped either.

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/11/2020 01:22 AM

I love it when the cat crew shucks cans of beer to us as we swim close.😁
Posted By: lina

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/11/2020 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by pat
Originally Posted by BillandElaine

And there was a time, once upon a time, when it was the cleanest. Every morning the Mullet Bay Resort beach staff was out there early raking up the occasional fallen sea grape leaf or the chain smokers’ left over cigarette butts and cleaning up anything and everything left behind by the day and night before beach visitors.

Well, except for those long three or four day island holiday weekends but even then, it was the islanders and not the visitors who left their garbage in the brush between the beach and the parking lot.

AGREED THEEEE DIRTIEST BEACH

Re: Mullet Bay litter - 06/12/2020 03:13 PM

Message from the Government.
http://www.sintmaartengov.org/Press...F6mVw2L39gt70TjawLGEabO0P8u09zsuhgBEr_YI
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline