TravelTalkOnline

Passport Offices Reopened - Backlogs

Posted By: Bahston

Passport Offices Reopened - Backlogs - 06/12/2020 09:48 PM

Planning to travel internationally this fall? Check your passport expiration date now.

The State Department has stated that passports are again being processed. There is presently a backlog of about 1.7 million passport applications, a slight increase over the number normally processed in a month. "Several" of the Passport Services Offices have reopened, and about half of the passport services workforce has returned to work. Renewal applications are being handled on a first in - first out basis. New "routine" applications should expect a delay of a minimum of eight weeks.

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/work...es-sites-confronts-million-case-backlog/
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Passport Offices Reopened - Backlogs - 06/12/2020 11:46 PM

Not sure why it took this long, but glad they have finally reopened passport offices.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Passport Offices Reopened - Backlogs - 06/12/2020 11:51 PM

There are similar stories at NY Times and Bloomberg, but I didn't link them as they're behind paywalls. As I read it, it took a few Senators to call them out.
Posted By: KarenandRick

Re: Passport Offices Reopened - Backlogs - 06/18/2020 12:44 PM

Thank you Bahston for that update. My daughter's passport renewal application was submitted March 9 for two now cancelled trips, one being St. Martin in July. I don't think she has noticed that she never got her new passport but I am very happy to hear the processing for passports is underway again. Definitely planning a St. Martin trip for next year!
Posted By: jflan

Re: Passport Offices Reopened - Backlogs - 06/23/2020 09:22 PM

I sent my renewal in at the end of February before all this virus stuff got out of hand. The state dept sent me an e-mail stating that it was mailed today. It took better than 3 1/2 months but there was nowhere to go anyway.
Glad to see things are starting to roll again, hope it gets back to somewhat normal soon.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline