TravelTalkOnline

Visiting Anguilla

Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Visiting Anguilla - 08/23/2020 01:36 PM

For those wanting to visit Anguilla, oh my frown

Attached picture Anguilla.jpg
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Visiting Anguilla - 08/23/2020 01:51 PM

Whoa! So an extra $2,000 to stay for a week? Yikes.

I thought they weren't open to visitors anyway?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Visiting Anguilla - 08/23/2020 01:53 PM

I posted a link a while back that indicated they were opening late August.

PREVIOUS ANGUILLA DISCUSSION

Going to be tough to get visitors in many cases.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Visiting Anguilla - 08/23/2020 01:55 PM

Exactly! Those costs add up. We have done Anguilla both ways...a splurge in a villa, or on the cheap. Either way IT AIN'T CHEAP! lol

Given that you cannot cross into the French side to get the ferry, that will require using a private boat charter to get to Anguilla. More $$$.
Posted By: Ellen777

Re: Visiting Anguilla - 08/23/2020 03:32 PM

At this time, you have to apply to go.
Along with the fees, there are several requirements, including a 14 day Q in a government facility.
They are only taking applications to Oct 31 at this time. People will be able to apply in late September for later travel dates.
All rules and the application to visit are listed here:
https://beatcovid19.ai/apply/
Posted By: pat

Re: Visiting Anguilla - 08/23/2020 03:47 PM

Hi, Ellen,

I saw the post about entry requirements and immediately thought of you and your love of AXA. I hope this doesn't raise too much havoc with your future plans. Those fees would surely be a deterrent to most of us but I can understand where the island is coming from and at the same time, seriously worry about the restraints they're putting on their own tourism economy. I hope things will work out for you with future trips.

Re: Visiting Anguilla - 08/23/2020 03:54 PM

Hi Pat:
I want the island to be safe, they cannot manage an epidemic.
My wants and needs are secondary to the health and safety of the Anguillians, and I intend on abiding by their rules.
I commend them for being so cautious and protecting their citizens.
There are a lot of disgruntled people, I am not one of them.
Stay safe and well, and I will too.
Ellen
Posted By: pat

Re: Visiting Anguilla - 08/23/2020 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ellen777
Hi Pat:
I want the island to be safe, they cannot manage an epidemic.
I intend on abiding by their rules.
I commend them for protecting their citizens.

There are a lot of disgruntled people, I am not one of them.
Stay safe and well, and I will too.
Ellen

You've expressed my thoughts exactly with regard to our November SXM trip. As much as I want to go, I certainly don't want to endanger anyone else's health and/or well-being and I don't want to jeopardize my own health either. It will remain to be seen what happens down the road and like so many others, I pray for the well-being of our island friends at this time.

Posted By: Maranjo

Re: Visiting Anguilla - 08/23/2020 04:16 PM

Beautifully stated.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Visiting Anguilla - 08/23/2020 04:39 PM

Wow , the cost is very costly .
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Visiting Anguilla - 08/24/2020 11:55 PM

Anguilla has focused for a long time to attract a wealthier Rich and famous Tourists with its high end resorts and villa. This ridiculous amount is not just about health but as much to keep the “have nots” tourists out and from mixing with the “haves”. Many Richer people won’t mind the extra money for a less crowded more exclusive island. I just don’t think enough will go will only keep the normally faithful away which will benefit SXM tourism.

Re: Visiting Anguilla - 08/25/2020 01:29 AM

We are far from rich and famous, we have been going since 2003 and stay in low cost accommodations on the beach. We rent a car and eat breakfast and lunch in, and eat dinner out every night.
The island cannot withstand an epidemic, they only have 4 icu beds, it would be a disaster if covid took hold.
I commend them for their caution and caring of their population, people over profit, I wish the US would see it that way.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Visiting Anguilla - 08/25/2020 03:36 AM

Three words. Daytrippers Not Welcome.

Re: Visiting Anguilla - 08/25/2020 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bahston
Three words. Daytrippers Not Welcome.

Well, not welcome is not true, day trippers cannot meet the rules for entry. Day trippers have always been a big part of the Anguilla tourist base, and once the pandemic is contained it will continue. At this time, most people (myself included) are not welcome, not just day trippers.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Visiting Anguilla - 08/25/2020 11:37 AM

I understand that the border is closed right now. When it does reopen, if it's going to cost $1000 for a daytripper to visit, then Daytrippers Not Welcome is very true. It's also probably very wise, given the current COVID situation on both sides of SXM.
Posted By: 2fingers

Re: Visiting Anguilla - 08/25/2020 11:40 AM

I commend them for their caution and caring of their population, people over profit, I wish the US would see it that way.

Let's see. 340 million people and the world largest economy vs. 15,000 people and one of the worlds smallest "economies" on an isolated 30 sq. mile island. Yea, let's do it there way.
Posted By: CanuckTravlr

Re: Visiting Anguilla - 08/25/2020 01:53 PM

Your point is made, but the population differences are so "huge" that there is no need to overstate them. For future reference, and in the interest of accuracy, the current population of the USA is just over 330 million.

https://www.census.gov/popclock/

Posted By: BillandJan

Re: Visiting Anguilla - 08/25/2020 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by 2fingers

Let's see. 340 million people and the world largest economy vs. 15,000 people and one of the worlds smallest "economies" on an isolated 30 sq. mile island. Yea, let's do it there way.

Anguilla is doing what it has every right to do as a sovereign nation and is putting the safety of its people first. Unlike our Country, Anguilla has rightly concluded that until this virus is defeated there is no chance of having a healthy economy. In this case the small country has it right.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Visiting Anguilla - 08/25/2020 02:44 PM

Actually "daytripper" isn't one word it's two as "day tripper" so your three words are really four. laugh
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline