TravelTalkOnline

Traveling to French side

Posted By: madg1108

Traveling to French side - 11/19/2020 04:14 PM

Could someone please let me know if itโ€™s a problem going to French side . We have reservations at a villa for week 8 and 9 and have to pay the balance in a few weeks. Will we be able to go there when the time comes assuming all tests are negative for COVID ??
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Traveling to French side - 11/19/2020 04:23 PM

Boarders are open with no restrictions but no guarantees what will be in force when you go.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Traveling to French side - 11/19/2020 04:27 PM

As of NOW, there is no problem travelling to the French side or eating at French side restaurants. Apparently, US citizens are not supposed to be able to stay in HOTELS on the French side, although this is disputed by some French side hotels. Asking what the situation will be for weeks 8 and 9 next year, which is what you meant, I guess, is unclear. I suppose it's possible that mainland France could prevent border crossings again.
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Traveling to French side - 11/19/2020 05:09 PM

The line between "hotel" & "villa" is a fine one. For instance, I got an email from Club Fantastico stating that they were open to all visitors.

Re: Traveling to French side - 11/19/2020 05:11 PM

Well, apparently Grand Case Beach Club also claims that they are open to American visitors also, and they have to be considered a hotel? It's a conundrum..
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Traveling to French side - 11/19/2020 05:26 PM

There's a difference between French and Dutch sides regarding COVID test requirements. The French side is holding to the EU 72-hour requirement, but I am unaware of any mechanism in place to check/verify, other than possibly at the French-side airport or at the port in Marigot. I can't imagine that the hotels or villas have any interest in being the "test police".
Posted By: madg1108

Re: Traveling to French side - 11/19/2020 05:34 PM

Thanks, we will have to talk to the booking agent!

Re: Traveling to French side - 11/19/2020 05:36 PM

Oh, certainly agree with you, that they have no interest in being 'the test police". However, if they are not supposed to be accepting Americans and they do, all it would take is a visit by the gendarmes to the hotel in question, to make the proprietor have a very bad day.

Re: Traveling to French side - 11/19/2020 05:39 PM

madg1108--supposedly stand alone villas are fine, which makes no sense at all to me. I personally would still be somewhat worried about the possibility of a lockdown of the border again. I don't THINK that will happen, as there would very likely be some significant unrest, but mainland France often seems to not consider St. Martin's needs.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Traveling to French side - 11/20/2020 12:34 AM

Please. Boarders are people who live with someone and pay rent. Borders are what's being discussed here.
Posted By: Todd

Re: Traveling to French side - 11/20/2020 11:18 AM

I personally would want a guarantee from the person I am renting from that if the borders close to you boarders that you would get your money back. The place we picked offered full refunds up to the day we would arrive. Occupancy is so far down right now there are last minute bargains galore, so consider that as well. We are not in prime season yet, who knows what is to come.

Glad to have made it to the island, but what a fn mess of a process that I can tell you I would not go through again. More on that later, we are here and loving it.

Cheers from St Martin!
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Traveling to French side - 11/20/2020 11:44 AM

Glad you arrived. Looking forward to hearing about the process you had to go through. Enjoy.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Traveling to French side - 11/20/2020 12:57 PM

TTOL really needs a "like" button! See you Sunday!

Re: Traveling to French side - 11/20/2020 01:54 PM

Todd--glad you arrived. Are you staying at Le Petit?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Traveling to French side - 11/20/2020 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Todd
I personally would want a guarantee from the person I am renting from that if the borders close to you boarders that you would get your money back. The place we picked offered full refunds up to the day we would arrive. Occupancy is so far down right now there are last minute bargains galore, so consider that as well. We are not in prime season yet, who knows what is to come.

Glad to have made it to the island, but what a fn mess of a process that I can tell you I would not go through again. More on that later, we are here and loving it.

Cheers from St Martin!

๐Ÿ‘
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline