TravelTalkOnline

Astra

Posted By: SXMBND

Astra - 02/01/2021 01:38 PM

Morning,
Anyone have any experience with this new to me restaurant ??
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Astra - 02/01/2021 02:10 PM

Yes. We went there in early December right after they opened. The atmosphere is wonderful, the drinks were great, as were the food and service. It's definitely a great addition to the area. It's owned by the same folks who own Avantika, and Julio, the former bartender at Avantika, is now at Astra. His responsibilities there seem to be more than that of a bartender; I felt like he had a management role.

Re: Astra - 02/01/2021 03:05 PM

Thank you for the reply may try it tonight.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Astra - 02/01/2021 03:53 PM

Where is this located?
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Astra - 02/01/2021 03:55 PM

On Welfare Road, in the former location of Snoopy's.

Re: Astra - 02/01/2021 04:38 PM

Thank you. Will have to give it a try this May.

Re: Astra - 02/03/2021 11:33 AM

Morning,
We went to ASTRA last evening (early) and were pleasantly surprised. Very friendly and attentive service and the food and drinks were very good and nicely presented. Might have been Julio ( didn't ask ) that stopped by the table a couple of times to make sure everything was fine......quite humorous and genuinely concerned that things were right. We were there early 6:00 p.m. and the only patrons upon arrival but a few table became occupied prior to us leaving.

I felt so bad for the staff....... they were very busy diligently making sure they put on a good presentation and there was little or no audience. The marina is void of any of the larger yachts that are typically jammed into all the slips and Welfare Road in general is a ghost town. If tourists don't start to return I'm afraid there will be nothing to come back to. The citizens here are hurting and you can sense their frustration with a situation that is completely out of their control. It is sad to say the least.

There was ONE negative observation from the evening but it did not have a direct effect on our meals or quality of the service. They are using the lagoon as their lobster pound, just the thought of eating anything from that water is unsettling to me. To close......I highly recommend ASTRA, it is a nice addition to the area and the people are fantastic......just don't order the lobster. :-)
Posted By: Ritchard

Re: Astra - 02/03/2021 01:04 PM

Ew, lagoon as lobster tank. Especially over there. Ech.

Re: Astra - 02/03/2021 03:49 PM

I'm pretty sure the water pumped into the lobster tanks at old Skipjacks and old Lee's was Lagoon water too.
Posted By: irina

Re: Astra - 02/03/2021 04:09 PM

They have been using the lagoon as lobster tank forever. So I guess you didn't know that.
At least 30 years. Probably more.
Cheers
irina

Re: Astra - 02/03/2021 04:33 PM

These lobsters are crawling around in a pen built right in the lagoon.

Re: Astra - 02/03/2021 04:46 PM

Not any different than water pumped from lagoon. Same water and pollutants.

Re: Astra - 02/03/2021 04:48 PM

Beg to differ.........S**t goes to the bottom

Re: Astra - 02/03/2021 05:47 PM

All depends where the intake is for the pump. Could be close to the bottom. Eat well my friend.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Astra - 02/03/2021 05:55 PM

OK, I think that's about as far as this conversation should go... Move on gentlemen...

Re: Astra - 02/03/2021 06:10 PM

Will do.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline