TravelTalkOnline

Observations upon return home

Posted By: RonDon

Observations upon return home - 03/15/2021 07:54 PM

Maybe SXM is doing it right. Or maybe it's the sunshine and fresh air. While on SXM we were at first nervous because we saw very few mask wearers. Only at Mario's restaurant did we have to stop for a temperature check. Other restaurants some servers wore masks others didn't.

All stores, bars and restaurants open. Here at home we're still under close orders or people limits.

Grocery stores on SXM masks required and before entering store hands must be sanitized. Here at home not required to sanitize at grocery store with exception of Trader Joe's.

Schools open on SXM not here at home.

People younger than we are getting vaccinated on SXM. Here at home they just now offer appointments for people 65+

We left SXM feeling safe. Returned home and one day later feel like prisoners again. It was easy to forget how free we were. Driving from airport we discussed where we'd eat since cupboard was bare at home. Then we remembered we couldn't just go somewhere to eat so we ordered Chinese food and brought it home.

Wish we were back in SXM but this time for more reasons than weather and warmth.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Observations upon return home - 03/15/2021 08:23 PM

Life but stay safe and be careful.
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: Observations upon return home - 03/15/2021 08:25 PM

We are going for 2 weeks in June. Hope SXM has herd immunity by then.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Observations upon return home - 03/15/2021 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bluesfan
We are going for 2 weeks in June. Hope SXM has herd immunity by then.

I believe they already have it. They are enjoying life, but as Leslie says, they are safe and careful. I sure felt better there than in USA
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Observations upon return home - 03/15/2021 10:32 PM

No, SXM does NOT have herd immunity yet, for sure.

Re: Observations upon return home - 03/15/2021 11:56 PM

Carol we are doing fine just money problem because people are scared. Last year this same time I had to reimburse thousands of dollars because that 's when I have my clients that comes for a whole month on average . Prayers but the High Season is almost done , hence tough times again , but not scared because some of my good friends will still be coming . Positive prayers.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Observations upon return home - 03/15/2021 11:58 PM

From the pictures I see on Facebook of locals partying without masks and no social distancing they are hardly being safe and careful.

Re: Observations upon return home - 03/16/2021 12:39 AM

Did you check our latest numbers ?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Observations upon return home - 03/16/2021 02:10 AM

Doesn't matter. If they tested more there would be more positives. You can look through rose-colored glasses all you want and hope to promote business but covid is out there on your island.
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: Observations upon return home - 03/16/2021 03:56 AM

I agree with RonDon....... felt a lot safer on SXM than I do at home. They are much more diligent with the sanitizing and masking in stores. While there for 11 days this February their numbers were far superior to the U.S......the numbers don't lie.
Posted By: George1234

Re: Observations upon return home - 03/16/2021 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by SXMBND
I..the numbers don't lie.

But sometimes the people who publish them do. I have seen published numbers of many things manipulated to make them look better. A prime example in Canada right now is making new cases seem higher to justify isolation ( I still don't want everything opened up though) is they will give the number of new cases, but when the number is higher, they don't mention that they have literally done twice as many tests as the day before.
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: Observations upon return home - 03/16/2021 11:11 AM

What are the latest numbers for SXM?
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Observations upon return home - 03/16/2021 11:35 AM

7 day average is around 2 cases/day but I can't find a percentage of positives number to compare to other areas which is more important...but...two cases/day is pretty low
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Observations upon return home - 03/16/2021 11:37 AM

Rosemary, you commented a couple of times that you hadn't left your house in a year. Do you mean that literally? If so, I can't begin to imagine the feeling of just being outdoors! And to be outdoors in Paradise, well, that had to be the most wonderful feeling.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline