TravelTalkOnline

Contingent covid plan?

Posted By: Southbound

Contingent covid plan? - 03/16/2021 07:57 PM

For those US citizens with current travel plans to SXM, what if any, plans have you made for the unlikely event that you test positive and can't return to US? Where would you stay? How would you get needed provisions? What is estimated cost to do this? What if any benefits are available from the mandated insurance program?

I'm not looking for any speculation or opinions about traveling, just specific plans/info "just in case".
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Contingent covid plan? - 03/16/2021 08:08 PM

I have a lot of unused weeks at my timeshare in st maarten. I would just stay put after my booked 4 weeks are up till negative.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Contingent covid plan? - 03/16/2021 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Southbound
For those US citizens with current travel plans to SXM, what if any, plans have you made for the unlikely event that you test positive and can't return to US? Where would you stay? How would you get needed provisions? What is estimated cost to do this? What if any benefits are available from the mandated insurance program?

I'm not looking for any speculation or opinions about traveling, just specific plans/info "just in case".

Isn't this part of the reason for the SXM government mandated insurance policy?

SXM PROTECTION PLAN
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Contingent covid plan? - 03/16/2021 09:35 PM

JD, yes, that is what is supposed to happen with the insurance policy, it supposedly pays for quarantine accommodations.
Posted By: dvesc

Re: Contingent covid plan? - 03/16/2021 10:18 PM

The government insurance policy wasn't required when we traveled in December, but we bought our own travel insurance plan that was supposed to cover quarantine expenses under "trip delay." Unlike the government policy, what we bought covered not only those that tested positive but also travel companions and family on the trip. With three of us traveling together, the maximum coverage would have been enough to pay for lodging and food for several days. I still have no idea where we would have stayed, though. I never got that part answered.

We're planning another trip this December and we'll most likely buy additional trip insurance again even if the government policy is still required. $125 per day from the government policy doesn't go that far during the high season, and it's definitely not enough if the people you're traveling with aren't covered unless they also test positive.
Posted By: Southbound

Re: Contingent covid plan? - 03/17/2021 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
Originally Posted by Southbound

Isn't this part of the reason for the SXM government mandated insurance policy?

SXM PROTECTION PLAN

Thanks for the link...I think one may find a place to stay during low season for $125 a day assuming the owner/manger was good with a positive person lodging there.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Contingent covid plan? - 03/17/2021 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by dvesc

We're planning another trip this December and we'll most likely buy additional trip insurance again even if the government policy is still required. $125 per day from the government policy doesn't go that far during the high season, and it's definitely not enough if the people you're traveling with aren't covered unless they also test positive.

I certainly hope that by December herd immunity will be a real thing and testing to travel in either direction won't be required. Either that of a vaccine passport.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Contingent covid plan? - 03/17/2021 02:22 PM

Southbound--my understanding is that the government will find the place for you to stay. You don't have to find it yourself.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline