TravelTalkOnline

Best Ribs?

Posted By: 320sycamore

Best Ribs? - 03/20/2021 01:45 AM

Hi - it's been a few years since we went to Dinghy Dock for ribs - since the hurricane and the pandemic anyway - but where are the best ribs on island?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/20/2021 02:02 AM

I have always enjoyed Lee's ribs. Not fall off the bone but the way I like them. Captains are also pretty good too.
Posted By: Todd

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/20/2021 11:09 AM

The Palms, Greg's Drunken Ribs are my favorite and possibly the only place I would call great for ribs. It is the extra time and effort Greg puts into them that makes the difference. For dry rub Rosie's on Mullet or Dany's on Cupecoy are the best imho, probably a lot to do with where you are as well. I have enjoyed a lot of good ribs on island from many different places, very few that would be considered great.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/20/2021 11:22 AM

You beat me to it, Todd! Absolutely the Drunken Ribs at The Palms.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/20/2021 02:55 PM

since i am a dry rub lover, I would vote for Rosie's. I did have wonderful flavorful ribs for lunch this week at Talk of the Town. Smoked perfectly, meaty, dry rub, and great bbq chicken along with it. I also like the ribs at Lee's too. In fact, I don't ever think i have had nothing but great ribs all over this island for all the years.

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/20/2021 02:56 PM

oh, and cannot forget Marks or the dingy dock too.
Posted By: CanuckTravlr

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/20/2021 03:01 PM

Another enthusiastic vote for Greg's "drunken ribs" at The Palms in Simpson Bay. I also enjoy the ribs at Captain D's (we usually stop in to take them home with us, along with some chicken and "fixings"). The ribs at the lolos in Grand Case are enjoyable for a nice inexpensive lunch, but I think at least part of that is the setting. I can't remember having any there that I would truly call "great". Anyway, lots of places to check out ribs on the island. That is part of the fun, IMO.
Posted By: pat

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/20/2021 04:33 PM

I guess we are the exception to the rule re ribs at the Palms but I wasn’t as impressed as most with the ribs at the Palms but it was my own fault for not asking the right questions. I don’t like my ribs covered with BBQ sauce, as tasty as the Palms is, and I much prefer the dry ribs served on the beach at Rosie’s. But what I learned after the fact is that, had I asked, they will serve them dry with no sauce or on the side. But everything else was very good.

But the truth is, we’ve been visiting the island once or twice a year for 48+ years and i don’t think we’ve ever had ribs there we didn’t enjoy - be they the GC lolos or Calmos before their demise, Marks, Lee’s or any of the many boat trip rib lunches we’ve enjoyed over the years. It’s pretty hard to find a bad meal on the island.

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/20/2021 05:21 PM

I felt the same about Palms ribs. Way too much BBQ sause on top. Maybe would be better with it served on the side as I request at Marks Place.
Posted By: pat

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/20/2021 06:23 PM

The thing is, Scuba, we were there with friends who go there regularly and when I commented about the ribs being too saucy for my taste, they told me absolutely the owners would have served it on the side. The ribs were tender and tasty and the sauce was good but I’m just not a fan. I have the same issue with pizza when it’s loaded with pizza sauce. We enjoyed everything else, the service and all the other food was excellent and we did take the left-over ribs home for reheats along with items from other dinners out and I have to say, the ribs reheated beautifully and I think it was the sauce which was perfect for reheating purposes for my taste preferences.
Posted By: BlueGreenWater

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/20/2021 08:32 PM

Rosie's all the way!
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/20/2021 09:03 PM

Busby's ...... but I'll have to settle for Rosies.

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/21/2021 01:50 AM

Remember Mrs (or Ms, not sure) B's on Dawn Beach, that was another favorite. Memories! I am now craving ribs, might have to put a rack on the smoker this week.

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/21/2021 02:26 AM

Thanks for the reminder and heads up to BBQ ribs. I'll start seasoning mine tomorrow.
Posted By: bobbarb

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/21/2021 02:29 AM

My favorite ribs are at Marks place always go at least 2 times for the all you can eat ribs with scalloped potatoes. The ribs are fall off the bone.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/21/2021 02:57 AM

Sorry but no Pork for me lol , yes Beef ribs .

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/21/2021 03:04 AM

Are there any good beef ribs on island?
Posted By: fabila

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/21/2021 04:31 AM

Ms Bs were the best in my opinion. Loved them.
Posted By: irina

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/21/2021 07:26 AM

Old timers will remember the ribs at Lido. Smoker in parking lot.
Crazy place every afternoon around 4.
Those were the best!
Cheers
irina

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/21/2021 01:04 PM

Irina, we often stopped there for some to go, under $20 and you had several meals for two. The scalloped potatoes were possibly the best item.

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/21/2021 01:15 PM

Those were also very good
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/21/2021 01:16 PM

Yes, I remember the food, which was great! The scalloped potatoes were great, for sure. I also remember how it ended.. Kind of made one sick to your stomach..

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/21/2021 03:54 PM

Carol, wasn't that the Lido store and not the BBQ that had the issues?

Where is Captains that is talked about? 25 days until we are there and thinking ribs are going to be a staple.
Posted By: Tracey868

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/21/2021 04:49 PM

I miss Pedro's ribs. Any word if they are ever coming back?
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/21/2021 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Yes, I remember the food, which was great! The scalloped potatoes were great, for sure. I also remember how it ended.. Kind of made one sick to your stomach..

Agreed..........gruesome ending.

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/21/2021 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Todd
Carol, wasn't that the Lido store and not the BBQ that had the issues?

Where is Captains that is talked about? 25 days until we are there and thinking ribs are going to be a staple.

Captains or also called Captain D before is located across the street from the old Lees location in the parking lot next to Royal Palm. Good ribs, chicken, sides and smoked turkey leg I'm yet to try.

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/21/2021 06:06 PM

Todd--It was all part of the same business..

Captain D's is next to Royal Palm...

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/21/2021 10:53 PM

Every time we drive by where Lido was, we laugh. The ribs were so good, but we were there just a couple of weeks before they were shut down. I still get nauseas thinking about what might have been. ''Ignorance would have been bliss". wink

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/21/2021 11:02 PM

Lido had the “health” issues.

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/21/2021 11:39 PM

I somewhat remember some of it, my memory was that some of the people that worked at the store were living in a shipping container or something like that with less than sanitary conditions. Vaguely remember but I will live fine not being told the whole story again!

I will try Captains in late April as we will be staying our final week at Royal Palm right there. Building my list of places to eat this trip that of course will be ignored when on island as then it becomes the "what you are in the mood for at that moment" decision process.

Re: Best Ribs? - 03/22/2021 12:29 AM

Todd--yes, that is pretty close.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline