TravelTalkOnline

Day 3 report

Posted By: eilandmens

Day 3 report - 03/23/2021 05:08 PM

Another beautiful day a bit windy but still nice. Light breakfast. Off to Orient. Went to Kakao. Seemed to have the least sarragasum in water there. Not many people on the beach. Reminded me of pre cruise ship days. Found out that Karl, the chair guy is now the bartender at Kakao. Kakao is closed on Tuesday and Wednesday and has a limited menu due limited customers. It has specials however. We did not eat there just a Rose at bar and talked to Karl. At night after G&T went to Astra. A new seafood and steak place next to vacant lots were old Lee’s and Harbor Queen were. We had what they call Rockefeller oysters. They were very good. For entree we shared a 2 person fish dish with salmon, wahoo, swordfish, and mahi-mahi. The salmon and wahoo were good but the other two were cold and not fresh fish. Looked like packaged fished , they tasted dry. Off our list, pretty place and not cheap, not worth the money.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Day 3 report - 03/23/2021 05:20 PM

Thanks for the report. So, have the old Lee's and Harbor Queen buildings been demolished? I didn't know that. Do you recall what the specials were at Kakao?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Day 3 report - 03/23/2021 07:30 PM

Pretty sure Lee's was demolished shortly after they closed. Not much to demolish of Harbor Queen.

Re: Day 3 report - 03/23/2021 07:32 PM

Oh, ok. Not sure if they were both gone the last time I was on island or not. The memory is the first thing to go..
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Day 3 report - 03/23/2021 07:35 PM

They had a group of supporters at Lee's when it was torn down, at least from what I recall seeing.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Day 3 report - 03/23/2021 09:15 PM

Correct. Last I saw May 2019 was a vacant lot with left over lumber etc. on it.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Day 3 report - 03/24/2021 12:02 AM

We had a completely different experience at Astra, so I hope you'll give it another try; I think you just ordered the wrong thing.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Day 3 report - 03/24/2021 12:53 AM

Thanks and I have heard of dry Steaks also.
Also just this afternoon we went to Kahlau on the Board Walk where Dhamendra from Sublime has open up and great Rack of Lamb and my Wife Fish had good Curry Snapper. His Brother Sundendra Das is at Sublime at Maho. Excellent food and good price.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Day 3 report - 03/24/2021 02:14 AM

just looked at the Astra menu. Can't wait to give it a go earlier in our stay to give more time to return. Too many on menu I want to order.

Re: Day 3 report - 04/16/2021 03:57 PM

Any other experiences here with Astra? Seems like someplace I want to check out?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Day 3 report - 04/16/2021 04:07 PM

Went for breakfast last week. It was cold.

Re: Day 3 report - 04/16/2021 04:20 PM

wow, that's not good. Was it a buffet or off the menu?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Day 3 report - 04/16/2021 04:43 PM

Menu. It was very tasty, but cold.

Re: Day 3 report - 04/16/2021 04:44 PM

OK, thanks for the feedback.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline