TravelTalkOnline

Covid cases on the rise on Dutch side

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Covid cases on the rise on Dutch side - 05/21/2021 01:01 PM

Daily Herald story
Posted By: irina

Re: Covid cases on the rise on Dutch side - 05/21/2021 02:30 PM

In speaking with people who live there, there are quite a bit of anti vaxxers. Scared, whatever, It's a real problem on island.
i
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Covid cases on the rise on Dutch side - 05/21/2021 03:10 PM

And lets add cruise ships into the mix.

Re: Covid cases on the rise on Dutch side - 05/21/2021 05:04 PM

Elaine--as of NOW, all cruise ship visitors are fully vaccinated, so they pose little risk. This could change in the future, of course.
Posted By: Southshore

Re: Covid cases on the rise on Dutch side - 05/21/2021 06:01 PM

I understand that the fully vaccinated can still contract the virus and pass it on to others. I can appreciate Elaine's concerns.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Covid cases on the rise on Dutch side - 05/21/2021 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Southshore
I understand that the fully vaccinated can still contract the virus and pass it on to others. I can appreciate Elaine's concerns.

Yup there is a 5% chance for close contact infection with the virus (Moderna/Pfizer).....but significantly WAY less than with no vaccine. If the "others" are vaccinated then it works both ways....if "others" are not vaccinated then they take a greater chance of getting the virus from ANYONE...totally their choice

Re: Covid cases on the rise on Dutch side - 05/21/2021 06:43 PM

But there is currently NO requirement for land visitors to be fully vaccinated at ALL, so the risk from cruise passengers, who are on island for a much shorter period of time, is WAY less than a land traveler.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Covid cases on the rise on Dutch side - 05/21/2021 08:05 PM

Hope they do follow through with inspections. Too many outside party venues with lax mask compliance from patrons ant staff.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Covid cases on the rise on Dutch side - 05/21/2021 08:15 PM

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2843353192456166&id=216407311817447
Posted By: Ted_n_Jan

Re: Covid cases on the rise on Dutch side - 05/23/2021 04:30 AM

Research is still ongoing, but indications are that the fully vaccinated have much lower, or even no, chance of passing on an infection.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Covid cases on the rise on Dutch side - 05/24/2021 02:11 AM

There was one COVID death reported today. For months, the count had remained at 27. Condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.

Re: Covid cases on the rise on Dutch side - 05/24/2021 01:06 PM

Sorry to hear that.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Covid cases on the rise on Dutch side - 05/24/2021 09:20 PM

I think this COVID will be like Flu or even the common cold, in that if not keeping distance or touching surfaces then touching faced/or mouth, allowing someone to sneeze on you, you run the risk of getting it. Difference is vaccines make symptoms less and help avoid hospitalization.

As to cruising, cruise ship couldn't stop the spread of Norvo virus long before COVID so how could anyone depend on them keeping any thing from spreading in those tight quarters? Maybe if you slept outside on the deck in fresh air and didn't eat you might stand a chance of survival lol.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Covid cases on the rise on Dutch side - 05/24/2021 09:53 PM

Oh, there's a minute chance Ted of possibly spreading the virus if one is fully vaccinated, but it is so low it's not worth the worry. And, 'breakthrough' cases of a vaccinated person catching the virus are also negligible. Out of 100,000 persons who are fully vaccinated, only 75 people will actually become infected (unless you're a New York Yankee). And, of those 75 unlucky individuals, only 15 will develop symptoms severe enough to require medical attention. So, hopefully sooner rather than later the need to present a negative COVID test all go away on St. Maarten and upon return to the U.S. I noticed that in Spain beginning on and after June 7th all that is needed to visit their country is proof of full vaccination (i.e., your CDC vaccination card) and completion of of an online form that takes roughly 5 minutes to fill out. Nothing more.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Covid cases on the rise on Dutch side - 05/25/2021 10:49 AM

I am DEFINITELY not a cruise fan but there were (are) no vaccinations to prevent Norovirus so that will always be an issue. At least with COVID vaccine will help...and...no point to sleeping outdoors since you won't be exposed to other tourists in your room so probably the safest place
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline