TravelTalkOnline

Astrolab

Posted By: mahokid

Astrolab - 09/08/2021 09:59 PM

Astrolab is a hidden gem located at the Esmeralda resort in Orient Beach
It is also one of the restaurant that usually takes their holiday the same time as our visit, Thomas is probably the best at responding when I request their closing date
I believe he is also involved with a beach bar on Orient and I wouldn't hesitate to visit his other venue as Astrolab always delivers
A unique setting is with tables and chairs surrounding the pool with a few tables indoors
Service was some of the best we received during our two weeks of food research and menu development
The 49 Euro prix fix is available including the special nights when lobster or surf & turf are offered with live music
Unfortunately there was no music on our Monday night visit because of curfew
I repeated my previous visit by choosing the same exact meal and you'll know why.
Hard to beat a foie gras duo paired with a generous pour of sauterne (10Euro), i have served half that pour for twice as much
my wife who doesn't like olives thoroughly enjoyed the house smoked tuna
I reordered the seabass over risotto and remembered it when I hit the unusual aged mimolette cheese
for the nightly special surf & turf, two large Argentinian red shrimp were substituted for the lobster, substitutions were properly informed
being a chocoholic, I rarely order cream brulee but Astrolabs trio is one of my favorites
the pineapple carpaccio with mango sherbet and celebratory sparkler was a nice way to end another special evening, it was refeshing

Thank you Thomas and staff and hope to be able to sneak in again next year before you holiday

Attached picture Astrolab Foie Gras duo.jpg
Attached picture astrolab Sauterne.jpg
Attached picture Astrolab Smoked Tuna.jpg
Attached picture astrolab seabass.jpg
Attached picture astrolab surf & turf.jpg
Attached picture astrolab brulee trio.jpg
Attached picture astrolab pineapple carpaccio.jpg
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Astrolab - 09/08/2021 11:17 PM

Wow, I really appreciate ALL these reports and pictures!!! wave wave

With regard to the creme' brulee, were they different flavors?? .. speaking as a MAJOR fan of creme' brulee in general!!!

Re: Astrolab - 09/08/2021 11:50 PM

Yes it was a trio of tonka seed, rosemary and vanilla with a madeline cookie
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Astrolab - 09/09/2021 12:46 AM

Thanks.
Posted By: crsxm

Re: Astrolab - 09/09/2021 10:27 AM

Your reviews are wonderful -- I think i'm gaining weight just reading them! You've reviewed so many restaurants that we've not had the pleasure of trying. I've enjoyed them immensely. Thank you!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Astrolab - 09/09/2021 12:49 PM

Must be having a great time eating your way through the island. If I ate like that I'd have to pay more for a double wide seat on my return flight. Lol. Keep it up.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Astrolab - 09/09/2021 03:15 PM

Never been disappointed with the meals and service...
Posted By: Kathleen

Re: Astrolab - 09/09/2021 03:27 PM

Wow! Can't wait to get back here in November! Do you know what beach bar Thomas is associated with?

Re: Astrolab - 09/09/2021 04:39 PM

I'm waiting for him to reply to my TA review but I know he may be on holiday now
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline