TravelTalkOnline

Groundbreaking for PJIA reconstruction.....finally

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Groundbreaking for PJIA reconstruction.....finally - 10/19/2021 01:07 PM

Link
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Groundbreaking for PJIA reconstruction.....finally - 10/19/2021 03:13 PM

2023 is a long ways away. Lot can happen between now and then to interrupt this.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Groundbreaking for PJIA reconstruction.....finally - 10/19/2021 03:39 PM

And maybe, just maybe, they can finish ahead of schedule! A little positive thought to counteract the naysayers.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Groundbreaking for PJIA reconstruction.....finally - 10/19/2021 03:48 PM

Each time I look at the damage I see that custom look in the construction like the roof exegesthat look like curved wings. While that looked neat on paper and when built it cost more and now those dented pieces all have to be recreated as onesies to replace at crazy expense.

Off the rack and easy to manufacture or tailor on site makes more sense for the hurricane belt.

Re: Groundbreaking for PJIA reconstruction.....finally - 10/19/2021 04:05 PM

It is my understanding that the roof has been completely repaired and reinforced to handle hurricanes in the future. Shouldn't that negate your concerns about the roof?
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Groundbreaking for PJIA reconstruction.....finally - 10/20/2021 02:30 AM

It was still nicely dented in July. Even if they fixed it in last two months, it only took 4 years. I’d hate to point this out again after next hurricane when we wonder why it takes so long.

Re: Groundbreaking for PJIA reconstruction.....finally - 10/20/2021 04:33 AM

I was there in July and the roof looked great. I'm not sure what part of the roof was nicely dented in July of 2021, but all 3 phases of the roof reconstruction were completed by June 1 2019 less than 2 years after hurricane Irma and and a full 2 years before your visit. The new roof is able to withstand 185 mph sustained winds and is meant to be category 5 hurricane ready. Below are some links to relevant articles and a picture of the completed roof is also included.

PJIA Phase 1 Roof Completion

PJIA Phase 2&3 Roof Completion

SXM-Talks & The Daily Herald - May 2019

All pictures are prior to June 1 2019.

Description: Roof after Hurricane Irma
Attached picture vliegveld-sint-maarten-2.jpg

Description: Roof reconstruction starting October 7 2017 - 1 month after Irma hits
Attached picture SXM-Roof-Repair.jpg

Description: Roof in phases
Attached picture vliegveld-sint-maarten-3.jpg

Description: Roof in Phases
Attached picture vliegveld-sint-maarten.jpg

Description: Roof in phases
Attached picture vliegveld-sint-maarten-4.jpg

Attached picture 1557120851.jpg

Attached picture 69745190_409058279722576_6968988259175104512_n.jpg
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Groundbreaking for PJIA reconstruction.....finally - 10/20/2021 09:13 AM

It seems to me that they pat themselves on the back a lot, but IMHO, this has been a joke of a project!!It's been just over four years and all they have to show for is a new roof??? At this rate the airport will be obsolete by time they are quote finished!! SMH!!!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline