TravelTalkOnline

Testing Timeline - Abbott ID Now

Posted By: carlnsue

Testing Timeline - Abbott ID Now - 10/25/2021 03:56 AM

In trying to line up all of the testing requirements for our trip this Friday, I found us in a time squeeze. Can’t take the test too early because of the rules, but can’t take it too late or won’t have the results back in time to submit to EHAS, who said to allow 12 hours for their own processing.

Crazy, did an Excel spreadsheet and figured we had a three hour window to get tested, whether PCR or Antigen test.

So we are getting a PCR and hoping it comes back earlier than their stated turnaround, but also getting an Abbott ID Now molecular test which is a rapid test but MIGHT qualify as a PCR (different tech, but similar performance)..

Anyone use the Abbott IDNow like this?
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Testing Timeline - Abbott ID Now - 10/25/2021 04:08 AM

Abbot IDNOW is a rapid test and it is a PCR test, which means you have 72 hours between the time of the test and final leg of your flight to SXM

Re: Testing Timeline - Abbott ID Now - 10/25/2021 04:39 AM

Thanks for that info. It is still confusing though. From my reading on the Abbott ID Now test, it seems it may be technically different but similar results to the rt-PCR (both being molecular tests). That said, as long as EHAS and French authorities consider it equal, it works for me.

Re: Testing Timeline - Abbott ID Now - 10/25/2021 04:45 AM

The IDNow test is a molecular PCR test. Even though it is a rapid test it is a "rapid PCR" test.. This means it falls in the same category as a rtPCR test and it gives you a 72 hour window. The results of the IDNow test are usually reported back to you in less than 4 hours.

Re: Testing Timeline - Abbott ID Now - 10/25/2021 05:03 AM

Both sides of SXM accept the Abbott IDNow as a PCR test, which it is
Posted By: Wingman

Re: Testing Timeline - Abbott ID Now - 10/25/2021 10:47 AM

I am here now. I got the ID Now test from Walgreens last Tuesday at noon for a Friday departure. I had the test results by 2:00PM same day and pre approval from SXM by 4:00. Was easy, simple and quick.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Testing Timeline - Abbott ID Now - 10/25/2021 12:43 PM

ID Now is something called a NAAT test, which I have no idea what that is, but it is treated by SXM as a PCR test. So the time frame is 72 hours. When we took it, they told us the results would be received within one to two DAYS, which freaked me out, but Eric had his result within about an hour and I got mine the next morning.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Testing Timeline - Abbott ID Now - 10/25/2021 01:03 PM

And we had to go back to Walgreens and pick up our test as is was never emailed. Got approval but when we were clearing in yesterday the official said it was the wrong document. Let us through anyway, what you going to do, EHAS cleared us?

Also scheduled a vax booster for the day after arrival in US, a Saturday. Got to Walgreens and the pharmacy was closed Saturday and Sunday beginning that day until further notice! Think they may have some staffing problems? Went back Monday and got it done.

Re: Testing Timeline - Abbott ID Now - 10/25/2021 11:36 PM

At the risk of playing layperson biochemist, here is as I understand it as of now.

rt-PCR and Abbott ID Now are both NAATs (nucleic acid amplification test)
rt-PCR is a generic term for a (reverse transcriptase–polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), and takes time and sending to a lab.
Abbott ID Now is a brand name for an rt-Isothermal test, and is rapid and done at doc/pharmacy usually.

SXM and France were specifying rt-PCR for their PCR level rules, but depending on who is reviewing it seem to accept the ID Now as equivalent to PCR - it is newer than rt-PCR, so probably not written into the rules.

Returning to U.S. requires a viral test (NAAT or an antigen), so either test or an antigen test within 3 days seems to comply. No antibody tests.

I appreciate hearing everyone’s experience, because at the end of the day, the rules are what’s happening on the ground!

Re: Testing Timeline - Abbott ID Now - 10/25/2021 11:42 PM

IDNow is fully accepted by Sint Maarten as a PCR test. IDNow is a PCR test!!!!!

On the return to the U.S., you are correct, you can use either a PCR or Antigen test.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline